iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya"ll got hobbies ? What ya making ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, November 26, 2005, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Ever start building something and a year later it still isnt finished and then one day you just decide to finish it ? Well I been building those radio controlled airplanes since I was in 2nd grade and then I would lose interest in it but this last week I have been bitten by the bug again so me and the nephew are hitting the building boards and hopefully by christmas we will have our planes finished and ready for flying this spring . Over the years I think the best invention of a product is that DanG jet glue . Dont want to scratch your nose if ya got any on your fingers  ;D , Here is our pics !  Lets see your hobbies ! I am building a biplane with 6 foot wings and the nephew is building a trainer with 4 foot wings but I had him build a few rubber banders when he was about 8 years old.

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Engineer

Life in general has been holding me back from taking up my hobby of model railroading.  I collected and set up trains from about age 8 until maybe five years ago, and then business, family and housebuilding took up all my time. 

I have old Lionel from the 1940's and 1950's, lots of HO-gauge specializing in Vermont and some other New England railroads, and a decent amount of N-gauge that I've just accumulated over the years but never set up.

Primary hobby these days is woodworking and sawmill, just to get the house done.  Then I have to mothball the shop for a couple years until I can build a barn for it.

Quartlow

I would love to get back into model railroading. We had tons of old Lionel stuff that my dad and brotyer bought at a closeout in the late 50's. One day Dad just gathered it all up and sold it without a word to anyone.  >:( >:(

My problem is space, I love the LGB trains but the only way I'm getting one of those is to run it around the ceiling. I've been working on a design for a dining room table with a glass top. 6 inch high sides and want to put an N or Z guage layout in there. That way I could play witht the train and eat dinner too
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Coon

Well, for me it is my ultralight helicopter.  I have got the whole thing built but it's time for upgrades. Sorry no pics as I don't have a digital camera or a scanner.  I have got lots of pics on 35 mm tho.
 The upgrades that I am doing are as follows.  I need to build new rotors as my original ones are in bad shape.  These rotors are teardrop shaped and are going to be completely hand carved, sanded and, finished.  It was a very hard job trying to find the right pieces for the job.  These pieces have to be VERY STRAIGHT GRAINED and CLEAR OF ALL KNOTS.  I have finally found enough woods to build two sets of top and tail rotors.  The top rotor has a total length of 14 feet and the tail rotor has a total length of 2 feet.  One set of the rotors is going to be made from premium grade white spruce and the other set is going to be made from premium white birch.
 Today was the day that I fired up the woodmizer and cut up the choice logs of white spruce and white birch.  I had a total of six of these logs and found that only 1 spruce log and 2 birch logs were to be of the quality I was looking for.

I did take a number of pictures with my 35 mm camera (2 rolls of 24 exposures each) for later use on this forum.  I am hoping the bro-in-law shows up here with his scanner and his digital camera........
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Tony

Hobbies, hmmmm, let me think , well back in the day it was football,
baseball, and chasing cheerleaders  ;D ;D ;D

Now its sawmilling, trying to figure out how to put a side shed on the shop,
how to build a sawshed, and to do something with the 1200BF of ERC we finished
sawing today :P :P :D ;D I'm also interested in the shed thread that was posted
awhile back ???

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

sawguy21

Getting the heater in my shop tomorrow so mebbe I can start getting my old chainsaws cleaned up and painted. Get the riding mower finished and out of the way so I have room for the truck. Then it is re wire the boat
Model railroading 8) I loved it when I was a kid and tried to get my godson interested but he pretty much wrecked the HO set. I had a blast buying and assembling the rolling stock and setting it up for him.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PawNature

I use to have a hobby. I think, just can't remember what it was. Lately I been collecting band saw blades.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

arj

When I retired,  bought a sawmill.  This is to be my hobby and long time dream. I LOVE IT !!   :)    This is the best hobby I ever had. After the first year when the word got around I had a mill it got OUT OF CONTROL. Thought I`d mill a couple thousand feet a year,   After 26000 ft the second year I`ve got it down to 20000 or so.  IT`s still fun and I`d rather be sawing than most  anything else.
                                                            arj

UNCLEBUCK

That sounds like a really cool project Coon .  All you train lovers how does the size go on trains ? Whats the smallest and whats the biggest scale?  I was looking at train sets on ebay and found many collector pieces like $5 grand just for the locomotive , boy I wish I would have started a train collection 30 years ago . That is a $eriou$ hobby !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Coon

Thanks UNCLEBUCK.  It's a dream come true for me.  Just remeber that is only one of my hobbies.  The second is building acoustical music instruments.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

getoverit

hey coon, y'all got any really good stitka spruce up there for guitar tops?? I've always wanted to try my luck at guitar making...stitka spruce just aint available down here in good ole dixie..
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Modat22

Hobbies include. reading fiction, building class B amps 500 w or greater (as money allows), woodworking, building a cnc wood router, teaching myself how to be a machinest, building a saw mill, play halo2 on xbox live.

secondary things I don't have time to do anymore, astronomy, square dance calling, taking pictures.
remember man that thy are dust.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paschale

I'm with Greg--I have hobbies, but it seems I never have time for them.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Modat22

OH! next project is to make 6 box traps. I hate bitting into buckshot when eating rabbit.
remember man that thy are dust.

Radar67

You must have some honker size rabbits up your way, we usually get'em with 6s.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

David B

My OTHER hobby  ;D 8) - brother's Chevy, my Dodge and I have a Jeep that I hope to get wheeling again soon. Feel free to wander around my albums, beautiful desert pictures, more offroading, family, etc. 

Offroading
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

sawguy21

Quote from: getoverit on November 26, 2005, 10:03:01 PM
hey coon, y'all got any really good stitka spruce up there for guitar tops?? I've always wanted to try my luck at guitar making...stitka spruce just aint available down here in good ole dixie..
Not much  in Saskatchewan either :D. You need to go to the British Columbia coast  for it. That would make beautiful guitar tops and is some of the best framing or plywood material available

Deadwood

I got into building Custom Wooden Models quite a few years ago kind of by mistake. My Grandfather built wooden toys and wanted me to follow in his foot steps, but I found out I loved the details of model making.

My first model ever was of a Timber Jack skidder appropriately enough. That first model was pretty crappy compared to some of the ones I have done lately, but that is part of the charm of a hobby, you get better and better. Of course they also take more time. My first ones used to take two weeks to build, now I am up to a month and a half to two months to complete a model.

I've built everything including skidders, snow plows, feller bunchers and log trucks. Heck I even built a grader once for a fellow Grader Operator of the State Highway Dept, but the guy was killed during the Ice Storm of 1998 before he could retire, so they had his grader on his casket.

My latest model was for the local fire department, Brooks Volunteer Fire Dept. Here is a picture of it.

crtreedude

Where in the world do you find the time for a hobbie?! Let's see, I own 2 companies, part owner of a third, perhaps starting another one this year if they don't commit me down here...

I guess my hobbie is starting businesses...  ::)

My two hobbies used to be rock climbing and mountain biking but we don't have much rock here and I need to get back to biking - there really is no excuse except the hills are bigger here. (we live on the side of a 7,000 foot mountain)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

isawlogs

THe only hobby I have time for is right here .... Forestry Forum .  ;D ;) :)  Woodworking , scroll saw sculpting , painting , my train set even my snowmobile has been put on holed for a while . I used to tie my own flies and take them fishing , just to see what they could catch , I figured it had to be the fly doing the catching as I was there only to do the presentation . :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

I used to have a couple of hobbies...sawmilling and vegetable gardening.  Now I'm sawmilling for a living and growing a garden to keep from starving. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

DanG,

My family has mocked the old man (me) that I won't have a hobbie unless it can pay it's own way. They have actually tried to get me to take up something like golf - but it didn't take.

When I took up fishing they were excited because perhaps I would actually have a hobbie - nope, I would bring home a mess of bluegills because they tasted so good and were so easy to catch really big ones. I was able to calculate paying off my fishing in no time...

I love to garden, because I love to eat - it is that simple. Forget flowers - give me food. To me, the bloom of an okra is a beautiful thing....  8)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

You have a lot more patience, and steadier hands, than I do. That is terrific. Your friends at the FD will really enjoy it. smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!