iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

iv had

Started by coxy, September 09, 2016, 08:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

enough with this crap the state keeps letting out that martin just got another chicken  >:( >:( >:( >:( I'm out for blood now  >:( >:(   cant believe it killed it that fast is was just dusk and the wife was getting ready to close them in for the night       what size trap will they fit in 330 220 110 I'm going to get a few leg traps and a bunch of body grippers if someone will please be so kind and  tell me witch ones to get and what kind of bait to use besides my chickens  ;D maybe put a live chick in a have a hart trap and bait the critter in like that with lots of traps around it sorry for the little rant but I need help thanks coxy

kensfarm

I had to look up what a martin looked like.  Buy some chicken pieces for bait.  Thing is.. if there's one.. then there's more of them.  Like trying to keep groundhogs out of a fence row..

barbender

I think martens tend to be solitary. I don't have any trapping experience with them, all my chicken related trapping has been coons. Baited them with a piece of chicken ::)
Too many irons in the fire

venice

Eggs and dryed fruits like cherrys are good bait for marten. And help to avoid catching neighbor's kitty.

My dad lost 11 chicken to a red fox early summer. In one day. Out of 12....  A local hunter who lost 10 chicken himself got the fox after he got stuck in a fence.  :rifle:...

Happy hunting. venice

Chuck White

Most any meat will be good bait for martins.

Using a chicken for lure is likely a good idea, but keep in mind that the chicken won't be completely safe, because the martin can reach in and injure the chicken or tip the Have-a-Heart upside down and it will open, then you'll lose another chicken.

I don't know about now, but in years past, in NY it used to be illegal to set a Conibair trap on land, they're intended to be used in water!

But, a 110 or a 220 should be able to trap it and kill it, martins aren't very big!

Good luck getting rid of it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

I've been forced to watch so many episodes of Mountain Men, that I think I could set a marten trap.   :D
Say when

Ox

Can't help you with the traps cause I don't know nuthin' bout em.  Just sharing some misery with you.  I had a chicken taken right next to my house a few weeks ago by a fisher.  I heard the commotion, got my flashlight so I could see what I was dealing with and saw him about 10 feet away.  Big old black sonuvagun, at least in the dark from what I could tell.  Grabbed the shotgun and tried to sneak out there but he went and hid in the ditch.  Didn't get him but didn't have any other troubles either (?).  Maybe the coyotes got him.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

21incher

I had a marten living near my pond when I bought my current house. That darn thing wiped out all the sizeable fish and I could not believe how fast it was. Once the fish were gone we never saw it again. Good luck trying to catch it. That is one of the reasons that my wife will not let me have chickens. fudd-smiley
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

dgdrls

Quote from: Ox on September 10, 2016, 08:00:06 AM
Can't help you with the traps cause I don't know nuthin' bout em.  Just sharing some misery with you.  I had a chicken taken right next to my house a few weeks ago by a fisher.  I heard the commotion, got my flashlight so I could see what I was dealing with and saw him about 10 feet away.  Big old black sonuvagun, at least in the dark from what I could tell.  Grabbed the shotgun and tried to sneak out there but he went and hid in the ditch.  Didn't get him but didn't have any other troubles either (?).  Maybe the coyotes got him.

Yikes, too close for my comfort,
My money is on the shotgun first then the Fisher, 

D

Thank You Sponsors!