iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For the love of trees, and other things..

Started by Saki, September 18, 2002, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saki

This may be a lost cause, and hurtful subject, but here goes. I have read and absolutely enjoyed a book called " for the love of trees " by Cliff Gearhart. It is his experiences in the Christmas tree business dating from the 30s to the early 90s. I felt there was much to enjoy and admire in the book, and would very much like to find out if Mr. Gearhart is still with us ( if so he would proably be in his 80s ) From the book I believe the family business would be called " North Star "and be based in or near Wolverine, Michigan.I have done an online phone number search for the business, with no luck. Anybody able to share any info?

If Mr. Gearhart is no longer with us, and friends or family are reading this, my profound apologies for your loss and my reminding you of it. Saki

Corley5

Cliff's still alive and well.  His sons now run the business for the most part.  It has expanded and split into different areas.  They now do landscaping, have a nursery and a lawn and garden store along with the Christmas Trees.  
Phone #s
North Star Nursery and Landscaping 231 525 8884
North Star Trees Inc. 231 525 8147
North Star Nursery Landscape & Garden Center 231 238 4151
The Garden Center is managed by his Granddaughter and her husband.  Two of the neighboring farms near us are planted to North Star Trees.  We share a half mile of fenceline with one.
He also penned another book titled I think "Pity the Man then the Fish" or something like that.  He got his start hauling fish to downstate mkts from the northern part of the state.  He got started in X-mas trees to keep his trucks busy when the fish season was over.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Cliff's an interesting person. He wrote two books that I know of, "The Fish Peddler" (True stories of Michigan's Commercial Fishing Industry, 1930-1980 and "For The Love Of Trees".

His address is 13866 S. Straits; Wolverine, MI 49799
Phone 231-525-8841
Fax 231-525-6595
~Ron

Saki

Thanks guys. I actually have the other book too. Found it last year at the yoopers tourist trap near Ishpeming. Called " Pity the Poor Fish Then Man " didn't mention it because I didn't know how many of the members might know about it. Thought I would have a better shot with the one on trees, but turns out you guys would have come through for me anyway.  :) THANKS! :) I will probably try to contact him on our upcoming fall trip. My fish book is an autographed one, and I had high hopes that he might be willing to spend a few minutes with me and maybe autograph my tree one. From the books sounds like a very interesting man. Thanks again. Saki

Thank You Sponsors!