iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone See the Boat

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 23, 2005, 12:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

building project on History Channel, tonight ??  They went in the woods and found the perfect stump with the perfect crown roots to make the Bow Stem and Stern Stem. It was a reproduction of a smaller Viking Ship. They took boards and cut to fit, then steamed and formed them. Rivited them together BEFORE framing the hull. GREAT Show, called "The Big Build". EVCELLENT woodworking done, 90% or so with hand tools.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Just thought I'd point out that the travel channel will air:

Tractor Pull Showdown 3pm eastern 11/23
These ferocious farm tractors go head to head in the all-American sport of tractor pulling. Get ready for a unique thrill ride as farmers and gear-heads across the Midwest roll up their sleeves and haul out their rigs for summer fun.

Fantasy Living Marathon Luxurious Log HomesĀ  11am eastern 11/24
Inspired by the log cabins of the pioneers and the great lodges of the National Parks, log homes are now more popular than ever. Discover these multi-million dollar homes, replete with indoor swimming pools, private funiculars and plush screening

John Ratzenber... Tillamook Cheese 2:30pm eastern 11/25
Get ready to chow down on some of America's best cheese at Tillamook Dairy in Oregon, visit the shipyard where huge aluminum hulls are constructed for Derecktor Ferryboats, and take a look at the history of Knott's Berry Farm.

Just in case anyone is interested. ;D

pasbuild

I was switching between the hockey game and the boat building, seen about half of it. pretty interesting
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

woodmills1

did ya catch the line about caulking............well the pine tar was good for hundreds of years till someone got the bright idea of putting sticky stuff in a tube. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

How did they get it into the tubes?  ::) ;D :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

I turned that "Big Build" off last night - it looked interesting but it was past my bedtime and I was whupped.  Have to catch it on the next go-round.

My fave show on TV is "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel.

Daren

I saw most of it, I like those programs that show what went into the making of old stuff by old cultures. The thing that is neat about most of them you have a professor and a handfull of grad students reverse engineering something they found and getting help from modern master craftsmen to remake it. When the thing they are reproducing was make by guys (most often illiterate, nomadic people who died of old age at 40) who thought it up or improved something they saw so they wouldn't starve to death.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebocardo

I only saw part of it before I fell asleep. I imagine taking that big root of that 900 year old tree pretty much junks the rest of the tree? Or did they use it for the planks too?

Fla._Deadheader

The root was from an old stump, logged off many years ago.  :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!