iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new member, hi everyone:

Started by Skytramp, November 21, 2005, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skytramp

Hi everyone;
Skytramp here, I was directed to this forum by a friend and was so impressed by your enginuity that I had to join.  I have been in the sawmill business for over thirty years in one form or another.  My father and I first built what we called a peckerwood sawmill.  we bought the iron works for a hundred dollars and built the rest.  It did have a usable carrage.  I think it is a ST Louis Model.  I still have it and it works.  It sure was a lot of work tho. Ha.  I learned to saw on it and would hire out as a head sawyer from time to time and would either log or run the old mill in between times.  Six or seven years ago, ( I would have to look at the bank note to be sure) I bought a almost new Medows #1 mill.  It Has a live deck and a Hydralic log turner, I wish I had had those when I was a young man, My back might be in better shape. Ha.  it is powered by a 3304 Cat engine that is getting weaker by the day.  I was interested in Uncle Bucks 6-71 using the truck transmission, I have a 6-71 truck engine that I am in the process of converting over to a power unit.  I use a 225 Timber Jack skidder.  I set the mill up on the landowner and skid everything to the mill.  I have been thinking lately about setting up permnately and buying logs.  trying to keep both operations going has turned into more than I can do.  Any way enough about me.  I really enjoy your website and your engineuity fasinates me, I will probably try and copy some of your projects.  To the guy that built his own bandmill, using a motorcycle motor, congradulations, looks good to me.  I once built a bandsaw for my shop using the front end of a 75 ford maveric, works great, I use it often.  I used allthread on the top ball joing and the tie rod end to adjust the camber and such, turn the bottom tire and wheel with a 3/4 horse electric motor with a step down pully and the v- belt is around the tire. 
Thanks Guys, I plan on being around for a while;
Skytramp   
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Skytramp.

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

maple flats

Welcome, pull up a stool and rest a spell, you've come to a great place. We might all learn something from you. Sounds like you have quite some experience. Everyone here helps everyone, we are a family.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

DanG

Welcome Skytramp!  I'll bet you got a lot of knowledge and stories to share.  I'll sure look forward to hearing more from you soon. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

oakiemac

Welcome and let us know what neck of the woods you are located.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

brdmkr

Welcome.  This truly is one of the best (maybe the best!!) sites on the net.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom_Averwater

He who dies with the most toys wins .

Mike_Barcaskey

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

IL Bull

Welcome from the land of Lincoln.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ernie

Welcome

Sounds like an interesting history there.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!