iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole barn plans

Started by brdmkr, November 21, 2005, 07:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Does anyone know of a web site with pole barn (or shed) plans?  I did a google search, but everything I came accross was to 'fancy' for what I am after.  I want to build an open-sided 20x60 structure.  I am thinking 14 ft high on the front sloping to 10 to 12 ft on the back.  Poles will be set every 10 feet.  The reason I am writing is that our inspector suggested that I use double 2x8s on the poles, 2x6 rafters, and 2x4 lathing under the metal roof.  I think that is a bit overkill.  However, if I go with something less, I'd like to have a plan that is better than a sketch that I could draw.

I was thinking doubled 2x6s on the poles with 2x4s running lengthwise and no lathing OR 2x4 rafters and 1x lathing.  I want this thing to last, but I don't want to cut every tree on the place just to make the shed!  Is my thinking off?  Am I going too light?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

I think that your inspector has suggested a pretty good structure.   My only suggestion would be a 5/4 lathing.  A lot depends on how close the 2x6 rafters are to one another.   If he is expecting you to span 4' with the 2 x 4's  then 6/4 will suffice for his recommendation.   Mostly it's the nail or screw holding capability of the wood that is the concern.  Many here are built with 1" lathe.  They don't hold the nails as good as the thicker wood but the nail can be clinched beneath to make up for it.

There's nothing that looks shoddier than a new structure with sagged beams and rafters.  I would go with the wider material to make sure it remained rigid.  Doubling up the 2 x 8's is a good idea to provide with more clearance below.  If you are considering using the 10' pole spacing for drive-in bays, you should consider at least 12' spacing.  Mine is 10' and gets kind of tight in the dark.  backing in is a chore and I've always been afraid of hitting the pole and racking the building.

It sounds like your description is a Shed.  Perhaps Googling that may be more profitable.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-150.pdf

Check out this link.  It may be helpful.

logwalker

I think I used a Web service called Midwest Plan service. It is a group of midwest universities with plan for just about any kind of ag building. And truss plans to 70'. Worked great for me. All the engineering already done. http://www.mwpshq.org/.  I just pulled it up and this address works. good Luck logwalker
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

brdmkr

Thanks for the sites and suggestions. 

Tom, the inspector suggested that the rafters be on 2 foot centers.  I am sure that would be a stout building, but that sure seems like a lot of lumber.   If I spaced them out more, then I could see the 2x4 lathing.

I suppose that I ought to just go with his sugegstions as I do want this to be a long-term sturcture.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

jrokusek

brdmkr

Those last 2 sites were really helpful.  I found it interesting that all of the shed plans listed used a 'shed truss' with all of the poles cut the same length.  I was going to have a 14 foot pole in front, 12 foot in the middle, and 10 foot on the back.  These poles would be 10 feet apart and these groups of 3 would form stalls at 10 ft intervals.  It seems to me that this would be much stronger than the use of a truss.  I suppose I need to do some serious cogitatin' on this.

isawlogs

Well actually .. the trusses would be stronger . to load would be put on top of the posts by the trusses ... as opposed to beeing leaning onto the posts .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Tom_Averwater

I would think having poles in the middle of your barn would limit your space now and in the future.  How about using a heavy floor truss for your rafters@ 10' O.C.. You could then use 2x6 # 2 Y.P. on edge  24 '' O.C. for your roof purlins. I would make it so I could build the other half of the shed when I got that one filled up. Thats just my thoughts.    Tom A.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!