iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut

Started by jgoodhart, November 21, 2005, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgoodhart

I have 3 Black Walnut trees and when bucking them to lenth they all split  in the middle with a pop. I was just wandering what would be the best way to attack these logs when I saw boards out off them ???

Larry

Try to keep the split confined to one board...keep the blade parallel to the split.

Splitting a walnut log is pretty unusual while bucking.  Did the trees have a very heavy lean or super big sweep that would cause a excessive amount of tension?  If this is the case there might be few more problems down the road.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jgoodhart

I didn't cut them down but I seen the trees every day driving by and they were nice and strait for about 20' then they branched out everywhere. pith is centered in the tree also.

Bibbyman

Did you cut these walnuts durring the spring and summer?  Larry must be from further north.   ::) We see a lot of split walnut logs here.  I'm talking split in half - not just with a crack in them. :o

Depending on on how big the halfs are,  I'd put the half split side down (on bandmill) and level the top of the log and make an opening face.  Then I'd turn it up 90 and and make a flat on that edge.  Then I'd turn it 90 again and that would be with the split face up.  I'd take aff just enough to get it flat and clean of split.  Then turn 90 again and saw a flat on the forth side.  

If the log half is big enough, I may take a board or two off each "side" face.  If it's smaller  - say 12" dia. - I'll put what was the split face down, clamp it and then saw to the bed.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jgoodhart

The trees were cut a couple weeks ago. The logs are about 2' at the butt and around 18" to 20" at the end of 1st log and I bucked them 8' 6" long and I cut 3 saw logs out of each. Bibbyman none of the logs spit in half but with a sledge and wedge they could be. Sound like cutting along the split is the way to go. Should I expect the boards to bow and twist :'(

Larry

Two to six walnut trees coming out every day...iffen the butt log is split it is operator (me) error...iffen the top log is split...it fell hard.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

pigman

If the logs are not completely split in two halves, I would put the crack at a 45   degree angle ; ie at the corners and cut aroung the log. The splits will be at the edge of the boards and can be trimed off.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bibbyman

Quote from: jgoodhart on November 21, 2005, 07:26:14 PM
Should I expect the boards to bow and twist :'(

No more than a board cut from a log without a crack.  
Just hope the split is not twisting down the length of the log.  It's pretty hard to spiral cut a board.  If there is only a quarter twist, they'll not be much left.

Larry,  some of the splits we get are the results of poor cutting and bucking.  But some are the results of just the way walnut dries in the summer time.  
Sawing since '94

jgoodhart

The logs aren't split in a twist, I looked at that a few times. Could be the branched out tops kept the trunk from hitting the ground and flexed the trunk too much causing the split. I got hooked up with a guy down the road and I get all the Cherry and any other saw log I want for dragging out his fire wood plus he sells some, but I got to buy the walnut trees that's why I came to the experts for advice on sawing them up, I was surprised when they poped when bucking and didn't know what was going on or the best way to process them.

WH_Conley

I have had a lot of White oak "pop" as being cut to lenght, usually the better stuff. Never cut much Walnut to length, but have sawed a bunch of it, almost all with a heart check. Square it up to where the heart check is level as previously mentioned.
Bill

Bibbyman

On a log with a heart crack that runs all or almost all the way across the ends..

If large - say 14" or more,  I'll put the crack at a 45 degree angle to the cut.

If small,  I'll saw parallel to the split as Larry says.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Quote from: pigman on November 21, 2005, 08:47:06 PM
If the logs are not completely split in two halves, I would put the crack at a 45   degree angle ; ie at the corners and cut aroung the log. The splits will be at the edge of the boards and can be trimed off.

Had to think about this for awhile...and draw some pictures on the wall with my crayon. ???  Makes perfect sense when grade sawing. :o

Thanks for the tip Bob. :)

jgoodhart

Going to cut the big logs on a 45 to the split, makes perfect sence and cut along the split on the  small logs 8)

jgoodhart

Mill the walnut today  8)  and all your advice was a big help Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!