iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there anyone near KY I could help for a couple days in the spring?

Started by Modat22, November 21, 2005, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I should have my mill built by spring. Well I've never used one and was thinking that I could probably go help someone that has a bandsaw mill and learn while helping them out for a day or 2 this spring (when I get my vacation time back).

I  live in Ivington KY.

My only request is please try to help me not get killed, maimed, or shortened from my natural 6'6" height.
remember man that thy are dust.

fstedy

:D :D :D After you start sawmillin watch out for da wifey she's the one that will kill ya !!!!!  :D :D :D
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

IL Bull

Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Modat22

Quote from: IL Bull on November 21, 2005, 02:25:32 PM
I'm in Illinois,  Come north with beer and muscle. ;D :D

Thats about a 5 hour trip, do you know of a camp ground close by that has trailer hookups? I could then bring the wife and tell her its a vacation, then vanish for 15 hours.

flip

I'm in southwestern Indiana about an hour and a half due west of Louisville.  Don't know if You'll learn much but ya will see a lot of sawdust fly :D :D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

PawNature

I am in louisa, Ky thats about 4 - 5 hours from you. But you are welcome to come over if you want, you can watch me drop another 6x6 on my finger like I did yesterday.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

pigman

I am about one hour north of Louisville near Campbellsburg. I am not sure I could teach anyone anything. I do have a WM bandsaw I play with sometimes.  ;D  If you are good help, I might try to encourge you to do three days work learning. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Modat22

:D I'm not a bad worker erm learner... Ya might have to bark orders, thats kinda what I got used to since I got married.

flip

Hey Paw, the last time I dropped a cant on my finger I pulled it out of my glove  a quarter inch too short.   :o  <--- That's what my eyes did when when the block hit the deck.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

IL Bull

Modatt,
We have the "Lincoln's New Salem" park that's close. 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

PawNature

Quote from: flip on November 21, 2005, 04:05:26 PM
Hey Paw, the last time I dropped a cant on my finger I pulled it out of my glove a quarter inch too short. :o <--- That's what my eyes did when when the block hit the deck.
Yea it kinda looked like a plumb that had been stomped on.

big_sid

why wait till spring come on over to sandy hook, and I'll show you what it is to saw way up a hollow where the sun only shines 2 hours a day, and the mud is real fun to track through :D
never been so happy to be so broke

Modat22

I'll have to book mark this thread, I'll come visit some folks in the spring. I'll work for education :) though a hamburger or two wouldn't hurt ether.

Thanks guys for all the offers, I'll take you up on them.

PawNature

Quote from: big_sid on November 21, 2005, 08:19:20 PM
why wait till spring come on over to sandy hook,  :D
Hey Neighbour. I know several people from sandy hook. Use to work for a lady by name of Norreen Strickland

pigman

I think you should take off work for six months , travel around and visit a bunch of sawyers. With some of us you will learn what not to do and from others you will learn what to do . Either way you will learn something. ::)

Modat22

the way the engineering field is going I might be permanently on vacation next year. Never know.

WH_Conley

While yer in the eastern part of the state, swing by Camp Dix. Just be kind of a loop, PawNature, Big_Sid and here. Course you might want to stop here first, time they get done with ya might not be nothin left. :D :D
Bill

Faron

Quote from: pigman on November 21, 2005, 03:57:19 PM
I am about one hour north of Louisville near Campbellsburg.

Say, don't that make you a Hoosier?   :D :D

Modat22, I'm about 15 minutes west of flip.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Modat22

You guys weren't kidding. I could literally take a couple weeks off and make a big circle.

Lud

I read a thread where Furby did the Tour-de-Forum in tour de force style........only I don't think those he visited got much work out of him! 

Whenever you go , take lots of pics! :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Modat22

well I reckon I could bring my laptop along and do some drafting for food or something. I love taking pictures, I have boat loads from a couple places I did some sub contract work on some precipitators.

Wayhouser

pigman

Quote from: Faron on November 22, 2005, 06:30:59 AM

Say, don't that make you a Hoosier?   :D :D

Them are almost fighting words. ;)
Picky, picky on the direction. I live north of I 71 and I 71 runs north towards Campbellsburg.  :D    Ok, I live North 44 degrees east of Louisville. :P

Furby

Quote from: Lud on November 22, 2005, 11:12:46 AM
I read a thread where Furby did the Tour-de-Forum in tour de force style........only I don't think those he visited got much work out of him!

smiley_big-grin2

dail_h

If ya really wanted to make a loop,bring the travel trailer,park in my yard,wife 'n kids could go to Outer Banks,Williamsburg VA ect,an there is several sawyers 'round that wuold be glad to offer "discount" training ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

big_sid

we are not kidding fer one minute, lots of stuff you can do (or learn) here in east ky. ;D    pawnature the name don't rang any bells

big_sid

oh, :) I forgot to mention, forget the hamburgers ;) we'll eat some good ole fashion grub,soupbeans, fried taters and cornbread :D :D

PawNature

WH_Conley

Quit talkin like that Sid or I'll be over. Haven't had my bean fix for about a day and a half.
Bill

big_sid

speaking of eating, not to change the thread,   
                            HAPPY THANKSGIVING     to all from

sid

VA-Sawyer

Modat22,

I have to agree with dail_h about your coming to the Outer Banks - Williamsburg area. You can spend some time with my modified LT40HD. We can discuss the finer points of mill setup and adjusting, blade sharpening, selecting set and hook angles, solar kiln design and maybe we can even make some sawdust. :)  I might be sawing some wood for the Jamestown 400th anniversery cooming up soon. Maybe you could help with that.
There are 3 or 4 campgrounds within 5 miles, so bring you trailer and have visit.  Lots of things for the family to do in the local area...Yorktown, Jamestown, Old Williamsburg, 'the pottery', and in season there is 'Water Country' and 'Busch Gardens'. Down at the Outer Banks, there is the Wright Brothers memorial, some neat lighthouses, and lots of sandy beaches. .Plenty of good southern cooking, and of course, there is plenty of seafood as well.

VA-Sawyer

etat

Modat22, I don't have a mill at all but if you just really want to visit somewhere and work, come on down to North Mississippi and I'll teach you about..........ROOFING HOUSES!!!!!!!!

I promise I'd feed you pretty good, and wouldn't even charge you for the lessons!!!!!!!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

Yep and on your way by stop in and I will let you check out a circle mill  :D :D Free lessons and free food even got a RV hookup on site ???
Jim Holloway

jimbo

dont forget to stop by here  im sure we can fins a day or twos sawing ,  lerning of course is free

Coon

And then there's Sasatchewan that you could come to and learn the trade.   :D :D  Guaranteed I'd get alot of work out of you cuz you'd be working hard just to stay warm 8) 8)  I could show you haow to cut frozen logs into lumber......  Maybe you'd even be interested in running my Ukrainian Skidder (No offense intended) :P :P ;D :D 8) 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Modat22

I actually do pretty well in the winter, though the winters in KY probably aren't near as bad as where you are  :) I'm still in shorts down to the mid 40's. I only have problems when its -10 or below freezing with bad winds or getting wet.

The wife is the opposite, she wears a coat at 60 degrees. When we got our house I had a 13 sear 5 ton ac unit installed to cool my 1500 square foot house  :D. I can chill beer in here if I wanted too and keep it a nice 64 degrees during the summer.

Coon

It's not too cold here yet but wait until later on in the winter when it goes down to -40 degrees celcius.   ;D

You know its cold out when.......  you go into the house to warm up with snotcicles hangin off your mustache long enough to make you look like a walrus. :o :o :-[

VA-Sawyer

Coon

Sorry no digital cam until maybe this weekend when bro-in-law comes down then I can get some pics.  If B-i-L comes down he's also gonna bring his scanner and leave it here for me to use. ;)

Modat22

Quote from: Coon on November 29, 2005, 10:19:37 PM
It's not too cold here yet but wait until later on in the winter when it goes down to -40 degrees celcius.   ;D

You know its cold out when.......  you go into the house to warm up with snotcicles hangin off your mustache long enough to make you look like a walrus. :o :o :-[

That be way to cold for me mate. I like it cold but not quite that cold  ;D

Coon

I can take the cold way better than the heat.  The key to keeping warm in weather liuke that is layers of clothing.  You can always add another layer if you are cold but you can only take so many clothes off in the heat.  In the cold you also have to keep moving as much as possible but you don't have to be in a rush all of the time.  Getting in a rush just gets you sweated up and then it don't matter how many layers of clothing you have on because once sweated up you can get a chill very easily and  it's the chill that gets you cold and eventually sick. :)

Thank You Sponsors!