iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winterizing Mill?

Started by Jeff, November 21, 2005, 09:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I am getting ready to put my mill away for the winter. Any tips out there or procedures a guy should be aware of? 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ronwood

Drain all fluid out of the lube tank and make sure there is no water in the lines.   Put ATF on the changes and the rails to keep it from rusting. Covering the mill with a tarp would be helpful.  Removing gas from the tank or adding stabilizer. Removing the blade.

Jeff not cutting this winter.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

would it make sense to pull the gas line and let the engine run out like you would a boat motor?

broker farmer

ATF??  Automatic transmission fluid?

Fla._Deadheader

Don't Paul just put skis on his ???  We don't put 'em away, down here.  ;) ;) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

Quote from: Jeff B on November 21, 2005, 10:10:49 AM
would it make sense to pull the gas line and let the engine run out like you would a boat motor?

On all gas engines I drain the gas and run the motor till totally dry, But I've had people tell me this isn't a great thing to do, so starting this year I'm adding gas stabilizer to a small amount of fuel and running the machine until I know the treated gas is in the carb.

My dad was a small engine mechanic for 30 years and swears by draining the systems, systems that have diaphrams made of rubber or polymer might not like being dry.
remember man that thy are dust.

Coon

Jeff,   Waaaaaaaaaay up here in central Canuckland we don't even put away the mills.  They just keep on cutting.   Softwoods cut ALOT nicer when the logs are completely frozen.  IMO I find that the bandsaw blades do not cut nearly as wavy and don't dive nearly as often.  We are even getting longer saw times before changing the blades, thus giving us alot less downtime. :) :D  Personally, this is my busiest sawing season, because of accessability into the woods.  Most of my land is far to swampy to access in the summer.

The downside to this --- it is alot harder to find good laborers to help with pulling boards.  Far too many people around here would rather go snowmobiling or just stay inside.  Myself I get alot of my snowmobiling done while working...  Yup that is pulling logs with the sleds.

The snow is melting here...... >:( >:( :'(  and we don't have enough frost to even get fart enough into the woods.   OOPS :o
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jeff

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 21, 2005, 10:18:25 AM
Don't Paul just put skis on his ???  We don't put 'em away, down here.  ;) ;) :D :D

Nope, that would be Kevin.

Coon, I am sure the mill would love to keep right on cutting. Its actually maybe me that needs to be winterized...

Murf

Boss, either get the wheels up off the ground or take them off completely and put them inside for the winter, a good coat of Armour-all or similar would help too.

When the tires are exposed to moisture and constant freeze/thaw cycles it dramatically increases the cracking of the rubber, the tires being black warm enough on a sunny day to melt the snow around them, causing them to sit in puddles all winter.

Also be careful of things like electric starters, if they are exposed to the weather they can accumulate moisture and cause surface rust inside, that can be a real PITA come spring.

Batteries should be taken off and kept inside too.

Most important though seems to be the operator, be sure they get put inside and well cared for until the average temperature is back above freezing.   :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Modat22

Quote from: Murf on November 21, 2005, 12:12:35 PM
Most important though seems to be the operator, be sure they get put inside and well cared for until the average temperature is back above freezing.   :D

Its also good to dose the operator with a goodly amount of anti-freezing agent (usually found in bottles brown of color and marked with XXX on the side).
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

I decided to leave the mill on its jacks,  where she sits because currently, both tires are a couple inches off the ground.

Night Night Slush-Mizer  ;D

This operator can't add antifreeze do that due to other medications.

TexasTimbers

Jeff,

As a friendly gesture I feel obligated to come get your mill and tow it back to Texas for the winter, where it will be used year-round and you won't have to waste time winterizing it.
Machinery can be like a woman in certain ways, prolonged non-use can  cause all manner of domino effects - all bad.  :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

IL Bull

Stabilize the fuel & change the engine oil.  Run the engine to get the treated fuel in the carb and to circulate the new oil.  Fog the engine with fogging oil that you buy at the boat shop(run engine and spray into the throat of the carb). :P  Coat the saw blade with WD40.  Take the lube tank in the house.  Pray for warm wheather. 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

I'm certain you know that them jacks will freeze fast to the ground,    Just in case ya wanna move it later  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bibbyman

I'd like to take our mill to Deming New Mexico from Novermber to end of March.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 21, 2005, 02:36:50 PM
I'm certain you know that them jacks will freeze fast to the ground,    Just in case ya wanna move it later  ::) ;D

Yep, no intentions of moving it. Period.

Minnesota_boy

If you put  a block of wood under each jack, they don't freeze to the ground.  This can be critical doing mobile custom sawing in late fall/early spring.  I've had to put a customer back a day or 2 while I got the mill thawed out enough to move.  I make sure that the jacks and the log loader (hydraulic) are off the ground each evening before I leave.  I plan to put my mill to rest for the winter starting next week.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

woodmills1

do yourself a favor and put the wood under the jacks.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

It wouldnt hurt if I did that just in case.

Dan_Shade

I think you should pour water over all of the moving parts, Jeff

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

A little hot water will free up those jacks if needed though.

Depending on how bad the weather gets, I'm looking at doing some milling Wed. and Thur.
First since April ::)
Jeff put's his mill away for the winter, I'm just getting mine out. ;D

solodan

even better, hot wax the blocks of wood.

Fla._Deadheader

I think the Bibbster has the right idear  ::) 8) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!