iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade crawler

Started by woodbowl, November 20, 2005, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

There is an area in Colorado between Carbondale and Marble that is fed every spring by the waters of melting snow from Mt Sopris. This area has miles and miles of trenches or irrigation ditches to channel the water to the farms. In 1987 there were homemade irrigation pumps that traveled these ditches unmaned. One side of the system had a crawler track and stayed in the ditch while the other side rode the dry side on wheels. The crawler track was nothing more that a big tractor or skidder tire with some of the bead cut out. Two wheels were inside and spread apart, elongating the tire to create a homemade rubber track. I've never seen anything like it before or since. I've searched the web hoping to run up on this homemade rig and talked to people about it. No one has a clue what I'm talking about. What I'm so intrigued about is the elongated tractor tire that forms a crawler track. It could be incorporated toward a lot of different applications.  .............Is anyone familar with any of this?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Rockn H

I'm not sure, but it sounds like what is called a rubber tired track.  A lot of farm tractors use them now.  Also look at skid steers like a bob cat.  You can also check out Route 6x6.  They offer them on alot of six wheelers and that's a good place to check them all out.  Like I said, this may not be what you're talking about, but maybe it will give you some ideas. :)

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) ::)  Where ya been all these years WB ???

I knew a guy that was a fabulous welder-fabricator. He helped me with extending a dump truck to a longer Bob truck, for my move to Ark.

Ennyhoo, he had built one of the first skid steer tractors ever, outta tractor tire treads. He hooked the brakes up to seperate handles for steering, and made the forward wheels fixed by welding the kingpins. That thing would really go on snow. He used it to haul his gear over 2 miles into the big woods for his deer stand.  Wish I had paid more attention.

I believe he let the air outta the tires and then aired 'em back up, after working the tires over the wheels. Some people are pretty clever. He built go carts with chainsaw engines on each wheel. The local race car drivers would never go flat out in his carts  ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

I remember seeing a homemade skidsteer in "Farm Show" that used the treads from tractor tires as tracks.  The builder had cut the sidewalls off the tires and slipped over car tires.  I'm not sure how they were tightened but steering was accomplished by having two brake master cylinders, one for each side.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodbowl

Quote from: Corley5 on November 21, 2005, 05:50:23 PM
I remember seeing a homemade skidsteer in "Farm Show" that used the treads from tractor tires as tracks.  The builder had cut the sidewalls off the tires and slipped over car tires.  I'm not sure how they were tightened but steering was accomplished by having two brake master cylinders, one for each side.
That's what I'm talking about. Any details of how, who and where about these types of homemade track buggies is most appreciated. WB
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Corley5

Paschale

Greg...thanks to that link, I just found a Christmas present for my dad!   8)  He'll really enjoy that book of "I made it myself" projects.   smiley_turkey_dancing
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Corley5

8) 8) 8) 8)  I've got a subscription and if I don't read and take the current issue to Dad in a timely fashion I hear about it ;) ;D 8)

Skytramp

Hi Woodbowl;
Skytramp here,new member.  I just found this website through a friend and was thoroughly impressed with the inginuity of a lot of the members.  I have been in the sawmill and logging business for over 30 years, smalltime mostly.   Anyway at risk of putting my foot in mouth on the first post I will as usual, jump right in and worry about the consequences later.  I think I know what you are talking about and know a man that says that he built one as a kid.  He was raised in Michighan  and they built the thing to go in the snow with.  according to him they cut the bead out of a couple of tractor tires and used an old 50s ford car with most of the body removed.  they left the front end intact and somehow made the rear differential adjustable.  They put the altered tractor tires over the tires of the car, adjusted them out then aired the tires back up on the car.  They rerouted the brake lines and installed an extra brake master cylinder, where they could lock one side or the other and let the spider gears do the rest.  He swears that the thing worked, but I have questioned a couple of his stories in the past, ha.  Good luck.
Skytramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

woodbowl

Welcome to the forum Skytramp. Foot in mouth disease is common here but not fatal if treated.
Quote from: Skytramp on November 21, 2005, 07:33:47 PM

according to him they cut the bead out of a couple of tractor tires and used an old 50s ford car with most of the body removed.
This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Homemade, tractor tire, track buggies!

Modat22

bill rake sells plans for a mini dozer. His plans are based on a very old design that the forestry used alot back in the 40's I think. I found info myself by looking up "mini dozer" on google and followed a few of those forum links. I did see a couple photos of tracked mini dozers using tractor treads.

heres a link showing a little dozer, its not what your looking for but its a diy design based on an older design that used tracker tire tracks.

http://www.smnet.net/pmwinston/Mill2/2ndsaw.htm
remember man that thy are dust.

junkyard

Back when youcould still get the half tracks for your farm tractor several people  built a doodle bug. It was usualy a model A ford with two transmisions and a truck rear end. the steel track were put around the front and rear tiresand seperate brakes on each side . Often the rear tires had tire chains to keep them from slipping on the steel tracks. With the tire track use two donut spares with a space between them then bolt a tapered block to the track to keep them in line. T%he front axle was sometimes boxed with a coil spring from a car to put tension on the tracks.         
                                          Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Modat22

ahh I have a correction. Those mini dozer's where popular and sold around the mid 60's, many where powered with a Wisconsin single or double cylinder
remember man that thy are dust.

johncinquo

Red Green made one up at Possum Lodge one time.  I'll see when it comes on again in re-runs and make sure I tape it.  I think it involved and Eldorado and several pieces of snow fence.   :D
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Corley5

Musta involved duct tape too ??? eh?

woodbowl

Corley5, I've clicked around on the farmshow link, but I can't find those homemade tracks. I found the search block and it requires a key word. There doesn't seem to be a list anywhere of everything availible.

Corley5

woodbowl

I went to the site, but I'm not able to view any articles or pictures, unless I send them some money.  Did you open up any pics?

Fla._Deadheader

WB, your billfold got the " DanG's Disease" too ??  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

HEY!  I resemble that! >:( ;) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Buzz-sawyer

I have articles, plan and pics of exactly what ya are talkin about I will post em when I can ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodbowl

Alright Buzz! Standing by.   smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!