iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live Oak:  Is it a Red or a White Oak?

Started by Curly_Woods, September 17, 2002, 07:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curly_Woods

I would like to know for sure whether a Live Oak is a Red Oak or a White.  I have never cut any, but have been asked  to do so and want to know what to expect to to the customer.

Tom

Live Oak is one of the White Oaks.

Expect to stick your blade into one of the toughest woods around.  Green is the only way to cut it.  

It has a swirley grain, as if the tree grows in circles.  The Medullary rays are quite prominant and it makes pretty quarter sawn boards.  

The sapwood is off white to gray and the heart is dark gray.

You will need a lot of freshly sharpened or new blades because they will quit sawing properly even when you think they are still sharp.  It takes a really sharp blade to produce good boards in this stuff.

Expect to use  a lot of water/blade lubricant.  There is so much heat generated that gumming is a problem.

Smaller logs of 12" dia. are easier to cut.  If he gives you one in the 20" plus range, try to develope a lot of patience. :D

Be sure to tell him that his shop tools will have a hard time too.

LeeB

Everything Tom says is true about Live Oak. you will have to slow your feed rate to a crawl. I have better luck with blade cleaning by flooding at the end of a cut and running dry through the cut. Don.t know if Texas Live Oak is the same as everywhere else. Hardest stufff I ever milled. I only get 1-150bf per blade. Don.t hesitate to change blades, or you will get a poor cut. I guess it is like other white oaks, in that it checks really easy. get it out of the sun as quickly as yoou can. It will start to check in just an hour or so on a hot day. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SawBilly

Is a Live Oak the same as a Pin Oak? long slender leaves 1/2" wide 3-4 inches long.

Tom

no sir.
Sites I surfed say that Pin Oak (Quercus palustris), is a Red Oak.  One of the fastest growing Oaks and used more for ornamentals than timber.

It has a life of about 80 years which puts it in the catagory of Water Oak and Laurel Oak.  Some forest have reached 138 Years but little is actually known of its life span.  

I found a lot of sites on Quercus palustris .

Squirrell_Boy

It is my understanding that Live Oak ( Quercus Virginiana) is neither classified as either a red or white oak, but that the wood is more characteristic of the white oaks. It is the heaviest and most dense of all the north american oaks. It has a high specific gravity(measurement of density) about .9 or so, compare that with white oak ( quercus alba ) which is about .65  It is about 10lbs per cubic foot heavier than white oak i believe. I know they used to use it a lot in old wooden ships. It is some major tough stuff.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

beenthere

Tom is right, it is in the white oak group (check the Wood Handbook which is about as 'official' as one can get next to Tom  ;D).

Maybe Squirrell_boy could tell us what source excludes live oak from the white oaks, and we could learn more 'information'. As he correctly points out, there is a marked difference in the wood properties of the white oak and live oak within this group. And those differences will show up when sawing live oak.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Squirrell_Boy

Howdy Beenthere: Sometimes i'm not sure we are talking about the same thing especially when it comes to botany. I am not a botanist that is for sure. I have read that red oaks, white oaks and the live (evergreen) oaks are seperate groups that have seperate scientific group names. I will get back to you on sources of this information. I believe that live oak is more similar to white oak microscopically than it is to the red oaks and has more of the white oak characteristics. I guess for woodworking or timber use purposes it would there for be referred to as a white oak. I think a place to get more information would be R.Bruce Hoadley's book Identifying Wood. He is the man when it comes to wood science.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Squirrell_Boy

Wow now i am really confused about this fascinating subject
that Curlyman and you all got going here. After some more research i found out that the oaks (quercus species) is seperated into 3 groups based on their microanatomy. The red oaks are Erythrobalanus and white oaks are Leucobalanus
the third group is Eucobalanus i don't know the common name
for this group. Our native white oak is Quercus Leucobalanus Alba. Northern Red Oak is Quercus Erythrobalanus Rubra. Live Oak is Quercus Erythrobalanus Virginiana. Therefore the Live Oak is a red oak! I think. Whew! Maybe we should check with the Dr.- R. Bruce Hoadley. Thanks for the interesting topic.

beenthere

Squirrel_boy
I found the scientific (botanical) name for all the oaks are in the genus Quercus (according to Bruce Hoadley in his book, Understanding Wood).  Bruce is another good source, as you point out.

Live oaks (there are about four species in the U.S.) include the live oak, Q.virginiana (south east U.S. along the Gulf coast and Atlantic coast, and three others in California (Canyon live, Interior live, and California live oaks).  To add  confusion, there is a tanoak (not a real oak) which is in California and is Lithocarpus densiflorus.

That's a mix of information from Hoadley as well as "Trees of North America" by C.F. Brockman
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Hoadly is not a bad place to get information but you have to understand that we have some jam up foresters on this board and a mile and half of old posts where we have discussed some of these same subjects.  

Go read this thread and you will find links to other threads, all of which discuss White and Red Oaks.  Yep even Black oaks which are Red oaks and willow oaks which are red oaks and chesnut oaks which are white oaks etc. etc. ;D

Lots of good reading. :) :)

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1061731451;start=5

Squirrell_Boy

Thanks Tom and Beenthere, but what exactly is a jam up forester? Seriously though, i have been coming to this website
just a short time and i really enjoy all of this. Looking forward to reading the old posts and what the foresters have to say. I really like the variety of people and topics here. I'm going to have to thank Jim Rogers for telling me about the forestry forum. Do you agree that Live Oak is a red oak though? There is a staggering amount of different oaks.

Tom

Live oak is one of the white oaks.  One of the identifying characteristics of White Oaks is closed (plugged) Tyloses and Live Oak has them.  Red oaks have such open grain that you can blow air through them.

White Oaks are used for wet cooperage like wine etc.
Red oaks are used for dry cooperage like nail barrels etc.

A jam up forester is a Ron Wenrich or a Ron Scott, or a Don Staples or a Tillaway or a ...........  I'm going to get into trouble because I'll forget one of them :D  then I'll end up with Jam all over me :D

These guys really know their stuff and will usually join in on a thread like this pretty quick.  

When i suggest that folks read old posts, I'm not suggesting that their post and thread isn't necessary to the board, only that the old post may add information.  There is no sense in re-inventing the wheel every time.

Another very good reference is The Wood Handbook.  It's link can be found in the link library and I think in the knowledge base and on my website, www.tomssaw.com.  I'll come back later and add it to this post when I find it. :)

Here it is
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm
Don't try to print it, it is huge.

Bud Man

According to :TEXTBOOK OF DENDROLOGY, by HARLOW AND HARRAH -5th edition, All Live Oaks fall into the Red Oak family.    In the past there had been some controversy as to where the various live oaks should be placed and they were reclassified as Red Oaks.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tom

See there!  I told you one of'em generally showed up. :D

The more that I research this the more information I find that puts the Live Oak in the Red oak group.  It's causing me to have to do some major adjusting in my mind.  All my life, I've been told differently and have even researched this question of late.

There may still be some wavering by some dendrologist because I find quite a few references that puts Live oak in its own grouping.  I can see how you could have been confused.

From my own personal experiences of putting a blade into Live Oak, I find that it cuts more like a white oak than a red oak. Of course that is no reason to call it one or the other. :)

Wood Handbook= http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr113/CH01.pdf

Squirrell_Boy

Tom: I thought Live Oak had the filled tyloses too. Making it more like white oak. I thought that was one of the reasons it was used in shipbuilding besides it being really strong and growing close to the coasts. Maybe one of the foresters could fill us in on this woods unique characteristics.

Bro. Noble

I think someone is just playing with you guys :D   I don't think there is such a thing as a 'Live Oak'------------It's not listed in "The Trees of Missouri" ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Minnesota_boy

I'm sure it's not listed, but we have dead oak up here.  Stuff I was sawing today was definitely dead, been in a pile for at least 2 years.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

chet

Live oak is ranked as the heaviest native hardwood, weighing 55 pounds per cubic foot when air dried.
Noble, live oak is not native to Missouri. It's range is the lower coastal plain from southeastern Virginia to southern Florida and to southern Texas.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bro. Noble

Chet,

You're just pulling my leg.  I checked out my OFFICIAL Mo. map and them places aren't even on it. ::)

chet

Dang it yur right.  :o  Checking my Yooper map, I can't find um neither.  Da furthest south it shows is Lambeau Field  in Green Bay.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Squirrell_Boy

Hey where the hell is Curly? He started all this. Did he cut some of that Live Oak ( thereby killing it ) and what did he tell that customer? Red, white, live or dead?

Bro. Noble

Chet,

Ya really otter get an OFFICIAL map like mine--------------everyone knows that Lambert's field is just across the road from where the old Miller house uster be.

Ron Wenrich

Tyloses isn't a good measure for the distinction between red oak and white oak.  I've seen chestnut oak that had a nice red color and little tyloses.  Its still a white oak.  

Live oak falls into a willow oak category.  I always thought they went into red oak lumber.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

I don't know if it's red or white, but the wood is different enough from either that it shouldn't be sold as just Red Oak, or White Oak, imho.

Now I don't know how true this is, but it seems to have some validity. An old guy once told me that Live Oak dulls a saw because grains of sand are drawn up into the wood by the powerful leaf system. I don't know if that's how the sand gets into the wood, but if you hit a piece of it with an axe, in the dark, you can see the sparks. :o  I wonder if that is why the stuff dulls a blade so quickly, rather than just the toughness of the wood?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!