iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I should know the answer to this math question but . . .

Started by Robert R, November 20, 2005, 07:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

What is the formula for figuring diameter based on circumference.  My plan is to take a flexible measure and be able to determine diameter by measuring around a tree.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Dank11

Hey!
I don't know/remember the formula
but I'm pretty sure Dia was around 1/3 of the circumfrence
hope this helps

neslrite

rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

maple flats

Much faster to learn to use a biltmore stick. If you don't want to buy one you can make your own. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11725.0
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ron Wenrich

You may be a little late on inventing the flexible measuring device.  Its called a diameter tape, and all the math has been worked out.  Just look at the tape and get a direct reading to the 1/10 inch.  You can pick them up from any forestry supply company.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Robert R

That's the story of my life.  I'm a dollar short most times, too.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Ernie

I've got one of those tapes for weighing cattle.  Put it around just behind the front legs and read off the weight.  Just don't get kicked when you reach under the beast to grab the end of the tape >:( >:(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

ARKANSAWYER

WoodMizer gave a tape measure like that one time.   I have never used it but it was cool.   I just measure around the tree and divide by 3.   If the bark is thick I take a little off.   Close enough for me.
ARKANSAWYER

solodan

yeah, it actually is close enough, because a tree's diameter is not a circle.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 20, 2005, 08:41:44 PM
You may be a little late on inventing the flexible measuring device.  Its called a diameter tape, and all the math has been worked out.  Just look at the tape and get a direct reading to the 1/10 inch.  You can pick them up from any forestry supply company.

As Ron says it's been built. You can get a cheepie one for $20 around here. I have a loggers tape - 100 feet long. We used them out west for alot of things. One side had diameter and the other side had the standard rule. CAn get'm metric or imperial. I use my loggers tape for tree diameter, measuring tree heigths, marking perimeter of circular plots. When using the metric tape, remind yourself it's Pi*cm's and not inches on that side. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: solodan on November 20, 2005, 09:34:18 PM
yeah, it actually is close enough, because a tree's diameter is not a circle.

We couldn't use calipers in BC, it was all diameter tape to the nearest 0.1 cm. With a D-tape you end up getting a good average with all the imperfections of a tree. When measuring with a caliper, with it pointing toward plot centre, you can over estimate the tree diameter by a couple of classes if the tree is severely 'out of round'. (if that happens to be it's widest girth) If using calipers, one should either average two measurements or measure the narrowest width. Why I say this is it's pretty hard to saw a solid board if your sawing into air. When you measure the top end of a log, you measure the narrowest width don't you? ;D (maybe it depends if your buyer or seller :D :D )

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

When you scale logs, you measure both ways and take the average.  Or you can go on the diagonal.  If you measure only the small way, you won't have as many logs to scale.  Most guys will take them somewhere els. ;)

SwampDonkey

I've just been looking at the scaling rules for NB.

The smallest top diameter and the smallest butt diameter must be measured through the geometric center. The geometric center of a piece is that point on the end cut surface of the piece through which the scale stick is hinged so that there is as much wood fibre on one side of the stick as there is on the other (see Figure 10). It is not necessarily the same point as the pith, the biological centre of the piece.

4.2 Logs
Logs are scaled by measuring the smallest top diameter in 2 cm units and the length in specified 0.20 m length classes.

A scaler must ensure that the small butt measurement incorporates normal contours and depressions, along the facing edge, when determining the placement of the scale stick across the geometric centre. Abnormally deep cracks, crevices or indentations affecting the butt surface area may be disregarded, if the point of measurement would grossly misrepresent actual stem volume. Cracks, crevices and indentations may be the
result of natural or mechanical damage and may be fresh or healed wounds (ex. lightning scars, splits, harvesting damage).

NB scaling manual

;D

Ron Wenrich

I wonder who wrote those rules?  We have some mills that scale one bark.  Of course, they're in areas where they have trees with thin bark.

SwampDonkey

My strong suspicion is the industry wrote the rules.  :-\

Modat22

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 22, 2005, 07:19:31 AM
My strong suspicion is the industry wrote the rules.  :-\

It sounds like the same people that wrote the National electrical code wrote these rules.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!