iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low budget get-a-ways

Started by woodbowl, November 20, 2005, 12:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I am specifically looking for a cabin rental for a few days that is cheeeeep! Not to be a cheepo by any means, but something private with walls and roof with minimum frills. Kinda' like camping in a tent without the tent.  ;D The problem is they cost around $100 a day. That is way out of line for our budget. Getting the whole family off for R&R can wind up being a ("tired chore and a glad when we get back home so I can rest, never gona' do that again") type of thing  instead. The idea is to leave all the CD players, radios, games and other things teenagers use to tune the world out. We have only been successful one time, but we lucked out. The weather was great, not too hot or cold. If it had rained, we may as well limp on home with our wet stuff and ill kids. It takes about 3 days for the grumbling to stop and the fun to start. Unfortunately, it's time to come home by then. The best memories seem to be the simple ones.  The best memory so far was after the 2nd day I pulled out about 20 cans of beenie-weenies. It only takes 4 things to make a success out of a camping trip. Got to stay dry. Got to stay warm. Got to have plenty of good food. Got to have good bedding so you can sleep. ................... So does anyone know where these cute little spots are?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

I kin let ya have the loft of my old barn for a weekend.  It's a no frills accomodation fer shore.  There's plenty of entertaining activities at my campground, too.  We got sawdust shovelin' contests, pecan hunting, and barn cat chasing.  They get to keep all the sawdust and barn cats, but I get half the pecans. ;D ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

How far are you willing to travel? Should not be hard to get off the beaten path in some parts of Georgia or the Virginias and beyond teenagers walking distance to a tv or internet connection. Course you are taking the laptop to keep in touch here ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodbowl

DanG, that sounds too good to be true. I didn't realize that we had so much available within a 50 mile distance. Problem is, we need to travel at least 60 miles so the kids think we really went somewhere.  ;D I'll keep it in mind for the next vacation though. In the mean time I'll drop you off a few more cats to make sure we don't run out.  ;D
Quote from: sawguy21 on November 20, 2005, 12:38:26 PM
How far are you willing to travel? .        Course you are taking the laptop to keep in touch here ;D
This time it needs to be in the N Fla, S Ga or S Ala area. Later on we can hit the Carolina's, Tenn or maybe Va. ..............Can't take a laptop either! I've got to set a good example!  ;) Besides, .....I ain't got one.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

breederman

Terry and I have done that several times.Try a google search for camp grounds near where you want to go.all KOAs have them and lots of oter places also.We figure that seventy or eighty bucks a day for the family is a good deal when you can cook inthem and some include cable tv.
Together we got this !

asy

Quote from: woodbowl on November 20, 2005, 01:13:42 PM
DanG, that sounds too good to be true. I didn't realize that we had so much available within a 50 mile distance. Problem is, we need to travel at least 60 miles so the kids think we really went somewhere.  ;D I'll keep it in mind for the next vacation though. In the mean time I'll drop you off a few more cats to make sure we don't run out.  ;D  This time it needs to be in the N Fla, S Ga or S Ala area. Later on we can hit the Carolina's, Tenn or maybe Va. ..............Can't take a laptop either! I've got to set a good example!  ;) Besides, .....I ain't got one.

That's simple, coz I's smart...

Ya got 2 options:

1: Take the long way there.

2: Drive 55 miles, then back 5. That's yer 60 miles, done.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

DMax

Wish I knew your exact location, but you should have a lot of options. I have always had good luck with state parks. Many have cabins, they are often affrodable, and always are in nice settings.

Here is a good example in south georgia:
http://gastateparks.org/net/go/parks.aspx?locationid=28&siteid=5

Cottages are $60. FL, GA, and AL state parks sites should all have good info.

Good luck, David

woodbowl

Quote from: asy on November 20, 2005, 05:52:54 PM

Ya got 2 options:

1: Take the long way there.

2: Drive 55 miles, then back 5. That's yer 60 miles, done.

asy :D
Asy ........... Uhh .......... the real reason We can't make it to DanG's campground  is because my sawdust shovel is busted, my pecan bucket has a hole in it and I'm still sore from chasin' cats around here.  ;D

Murf

If'n ya gots military ID ya kin git a place for stupid cheap at any of the bases that have camping.

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

johncinquo

http://www.globalfreeloaders.com/

I dont know if they have any places around you, but maybe take a look.  I think someone posted this before but its a pretty cool idea. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Murf

I just spoke to  friend and we were talking about painting airplnes, hang on I'll get to vacations in  second  :D , he says there is a place on the coast of the Florida panhandle that used to be an old air base but was sold, they people who bought it turned it into a fly-in AMO / paint shop. See, vacation.

Apparently their original idea was, bring your plane to be fixed and stay for free.

Problem is very few people took them up on it, now they rent the cabins to anybody I'm told.

If I can find anything out I'll let you know, it sounds like fun. I may to have visit the place and report back.  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

woodbowl

Quote from: Murf on November 29, 2005, 01:40:33 PM
he says there is a place on the coast of the Florida panhandle that used to be an old air base but was sold, the people who bought it turned it into a fly-in AMO / paint shop. See, vacation.

Apparently their original idea was, bring your plane to be fixed and stay for free.

If I can find anything out I'll let you know, it sounds like fun. I may to have visit the place and report back. 
Murf, that is right out my back door somewhere. Can't be too far. Let me know when you find out.

Thank You Sponsors!