iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redneck living uh oh! I may have opened a can of worms

Started by SwampDonkey, November 16, 2005, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Now here's one for ya.  ::) A native New Brunswicker is starting a bi-monthly magazine. She is from Salisbury, NB and has a preliminary website. Well, as the topic suggests, it's all about rednecks. It could include 'mud run' photos from wheelers or 4x trucks or photos of your latest duct tape fix-it project. ;)

http://www.rednecklivingnow.com/

Updated the link ;)

It remains to be seen where this is going. Personally, I don't hold much promise. But, if it takes off, great. I've been hearing about it on CBC.ca radio. Leave it to a New Brunswicker. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

Sheesh! I could just take pictures of all my neighbors and friends and make a whole magazine. I moved from the city and still get a little wierded out by my neighbors.
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Ya know, being in Texas and all, I got to comment on red necks.  Ya got to draw the distinction between red necks and white trash, folks often get them confused.  The problems is, rednecks are the salt of the earth.  Willie sings about 'em, Waylon sings about 'em, yet they are the ones you can turn to in time of need.  Give ya the shirt off their back if need be.  Rita brought em out by the droves, to help their neighbors.   Shoot, the number one trauma doc in Houston is a practicing red neck, named Red Duke.  Runs the biggest Type One trauma unit in Houston.

Cowboys tend to be read necks, and there is not a better class of folks in the world then true working cowboys, least it be cowgirls, but that's another story. Foreignors tend to get rednecks and white trash confused.   But the difference is readilly obvious.

Me, I'm a redneck, so are most of my friends, including doctors, lawyers and the odd indian chief (sorta redundant on that one).  Had a rancher meeeting last night on assistance after Rita, my local pharmacist was there, as well as business men, lawyers, one doc, trying to figure out how to get help to ease the financial burden enough to put stuff back together.  Met in the cattle arena at the auction barn.

Our current president is almost a redneck, just to DanG much money.  And not enough common sense.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Deadwood

My brother calls me a "Cultured Redneck".

I guess he is right. I can talk about snowmobiling, logging, carpentry, woodworking and all about trucks and trains if the people who I am with want to talk about such things. Set me into a bunch of School Teachers and I can talk about that whole No Child Left Behind thing, or about behavior modifications and dealings with the school boards. At the wedding I was the perfect gentlemen, and even at my wife's Luau this summer...until the bonfire needed more wood and I used the Kubota to dump a bucket load of wood on the fire. Since you could see it from space, all her friends started calling it...the Redneck Luau.

Some may consider the term Redneck as derogatory, but I don't. A Redneck is just someone that makes do with what they got. In reality the world needs a lot more of that, then we would have a lot less of another breed...politicians. Now that my friends is a real low class of people in my opinion!

etat

To find out how much Southern blood your speech shows, simply choose the words you use below, then press "Compute My Score!" at the end. The Alpha Dictionary will compute your score and tell you where you're coming from: are you (all) speaking Bubbaese or are you(se) a Yankee Doodle Dandy? The higher your score, the deeper from the South you are coming.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

by the way, when I took the test it asked me if I still used confederant money!!!!!!!!

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: cktate on November 16, 2005, 04:46:19 PM
by the way, when I took the test it asked me if I still used confederant money!!!!!!!!

Called me a Yankie, but I'm a Canuck. Eh?  ::)

My cousin got mad at someone she met over in Maine during a summer camp and called her a Yankie. The response was like using the 'n' word for colored folks.  Maybe she was from Atlanta? :o

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

Kevin_H.

65% (Dixie). Just under the Mason-Dixon Line

Well not too bad I guess, I did spend a couple of years in hope arkansas back when I was 3 or 4, but i guess thats mostly wore off by now.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tony

I'm so embarrassed, being from Mississippi and all  :'( :'(  (76%)

As I hang my head in shame, :(

Ya'll have a good day

Tony   ::) ::)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

I laugh to myself when I talk to my friend, who comes from NB, who moved to Virginia and now lives in Pa. He's begun asking how ya'll are doing and a few other phrases that just make me chuckle. I'm not making fun  ::) , well maybe I am  ;D :D , but when your not used to hearing the local dialect it's kind of funny. Eh?!  :D :D  8) I think I better stay north of the snow line. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tony on November 16, 2005, 06:18:07 PM
    I'm so embarrassed, being from Mississippi and all  :'( :'(  (76%)

As I hang my head in shame, :(

Ya'll have a good day

Tony   ::) ::)

Nah! We luvs ya just the same. ;D ;)

crtreedude

This quiz has serious issues!

I got a 74%!  Since I was born in Missouri - it probably explains it.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Roxie

Ut oh....Rodney, we're related!  He was my Grand Daddy too!  97% Dixie!
Say when

Furby

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 16, 2005, 06:59:59 PM

General Lee was my Grandaddy. ;) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)
Quote from: Roxie on November 16, 2005, 07:18:34 PM
Ut oh....Rodney, we're related! He was my Grand Daddy too! 97% Dixie!

Well that explains a lot! :o

Can't belive how many of those terms were considered "Western Great Lakes" or "Great Lakes".

DanG

I have concluded that the test is bogus.  Harold, a bonafied New Jersey Yankee comes out as Gen. Lee's kin.  Then Roxie comes out as his younger(much) sister.  I answered every question as honestly as I could, and came out as 62%. ???  Now anyone who ever met me, or even heard me talk on the phone, know's that I'm the Real McCoy.  Sorry CK, but your test failed the test. ;) :D :D :D

T-Ranger, I agree 100% about the REAL Rednecks.  The term originally was applied to those who toiled outside in the hot sun, such as farmers, etc.  They are the most honorable and honest folks on the face of this earth.  They just called'em that because the back of their necks were red from the sun.  The South don't have no exclusive franchise on Rednecks, though.  I've met'em all over the world.

Trash, on the other hand, don't have no color barrier.  There's trash of every hue and nationality.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ed_K

Ed K

SwampDonkey

Well now I told ya that test was wrong when it pegged me south of the snow line.  ::) I'm just glad someone besides me finally realized it DanG. :) ;D :D :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

61%, Musta got polluted from that time I worked in Michigsn for 2 weeks :D
Bill

SAW MILLER

59%  my wife made me wear dockers once.....I'll never be the same! :D
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

ohsoloco

"39% (yankee)...yep, you're definitely a yankee"  ;D

Swampdonkey, that y'all must've come from Virginia...we tend to lean toward You'uns or yins  ;)

Hey, that was fun you'uns guys  :D

etat

Sorry CK, but your test failed the test.     

:D :D :D :D hey, i just fount it and passed it along.......... 8) 8) 8)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Don_Papenburg

98% and Iam s'post to be related to General Lee?  I aint neverbeen south of the Mason Dixon.   Must be the reruns of Andy of Mayberry show. or the folks that moved up from the soth that make a home around here.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!