iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone help

Started by Bothy_Loon, November 13, 2005, 02:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bothy_Loon

Now that I am feeling a bit more at home on the forum I want to ask your help.
I was sniffing about in a forest in Glen Cannich last year when I came across the remains of this winch.
I think it was steam driven with a vertical boiler driving the winch.
This one had been used to drag logs off a nearby hill to a sawmill the remains of which were nearby. Well all that was left was a bed end probably out of a woodmans bothy, A brick built well & a piece of a sawdust cyclone.
My research leads me to believe the mill worked in the early 50s. I have now been given some details of a man in his late eighties who worked at this mill but have not spoken to him yet.
It is the winch I want to find out more about at the moment & I am wondering if it had come across with the Newfoundlanders that came across to help out in the cutting of our forests during the war.
Over to you!
Bothy Loon

Paul_H

B_L

I thought I'd include a couple of pictures of steam donkeys from BC.The bottom picture was given to me by my Grandparents and was taken in my hometown of Squamish.

This Summer while visiting a farmer,he showed me a donkey on a similar frame to yours but the boiler was long gone and a 6 cyl diesel was added.
The donkey had a manufacturers plate that stated that it was built by Willamette Iron Works 1905.

Is their anything on the machine you show that might identify the Mfg? Sorry I can't help on the Newfoundland info.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bothy_Loon

Paul
You have just made this old  sawyer very happy.
Thank you kind sir. That was what I thought it would look like.
When I was over at Cannich looking at the winch I checked for any numbers or stamps but found none.
If they were on a brass plate then they would be gone because it was fairly obvious that all valuable scrap had been removed long ago.
Bothy Loon

Thank You Sponsors!