iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I built today

Started by PawNature, November 12, 2005, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PawNature

I am pretty sure I got the plans for this here on the forum. If so I would like to thank the person who posted them. Not sure though

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

old3dogg

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dale Hatfield

Hey thats a great looking skidding arch.

I have been looking  to build/ buy one for a few years .Tell us how it works for you and what size log will it handle.

Thanks
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

ARKANSAWYER

Nice!  I bet if you shoved a small block chevy engine under that Case hood you could pull two logs at a time.  ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Ernie

Beaut arch

Are you going commercial with them?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

PawNature

Diamiter of log would be limited to 32" on this one. You could build it bigger if you wanted to.

No commerical. Just for personal use.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

How much do you figure you have into it?  I'd sure like to build one but I dont have any way to cut or weld metal so that creates a prodem.  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PawNature

Jeff, The steel is 1/4 x 2" tube cost me about $84. I got the spindles and hubs from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company for about $80, could have got hubs and spindle a lot cheaper from junk yard if I had wanted to go that route. But this was my first one and went the NT route. I picked the tires and wheels up at junk yard for $25. Then what ever you wnat to use for a hitch. I went with a 1 7/8 trailer hitch. about $20 I think. I did the welding my self. I didn't have a cutting torch, so I used metal cutting wheels on my skill saw and table saw to cut angles.

Kevin

Will the chain climb to the top or does it want to start dragging the log half way up the incline?

PawNature

Quote from: Kevin on November 12, 2005, 07:49:58 PM
Will the chain climb to the top or does it want to start dragging the log half way up the incline?
Nope slides up slick as a whistle

Kevin

That's the problem I had with mine so I put a winch on it.
I'm sure it's because of a lack of power on take off.

Coon

Nice manufacturing guys. 8) 8) 8)

What would us guys do without welders, cutiing torches and grinders??
I know I'd be  DanG well broke getting custom work done.

Keep building and keep sawing. :D ;D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Kevin

The snow I believe has less drag on the log as bare ground so I'm sure that's part of the problem as well.

PawNature

Quote from: Kevin on November 12, 2005, 08:47:48 PM
The snow I believe has less drag on the log as bare ground so I'm sure that's part of the problem as well.
No doubt that could be the problem

SwampDonkey

I was thinking of having a bump plate ahead of the butt for safety against the chain letting go and having the butt up against you on a down hill skid. Or possibly getting wedged between the seat of the tractor and the wheel well/fender. Keep the chain short.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Sounds like that guard would be a good idear if'n you have the HP to handle the extra weight. :o
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Modat22

Quote from: Jeff B on November 12, 2005, 07:40:37 PM
How much do you figure you have into it?  I'd sure like to build one but I dont have any way to cut or weld metal so that creates a prodem.  :D

If you lived near Irv, KY I'd weld one up for you.
remember man that thy are dust.

sawguy21

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on November 12, 2005, 06:51:49 PM

Nice!  I bet if you shoved a small block chevy engine under that Case hood you could pull two logs at a time.  ;D
:D :D :D :D :D.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bitternut

Hey PawNature good job on the arch. You don't need any butt plate because when you slow down the log slides back down to the ground and acts as its own brake. I have dragged some pretty big stuff down steep grades with mine and it will stop itself easy.

I think you got the plans from me. I posted it here and it was also in the Farm Show Magazine. I sent out quite a few copies of the plans I made up but yours is the first that I have seen completed. You do need to add some guards in front of your tires though. All you have to do is run some sturdy angle iron or rebar out to the edge of your tire and then bring it back to the frame on about a 30 degree angle. Weld it to the bottom of your tubing frame. This will slide the arch around any brush or trees and keeps you from having a sudden stop when one of your wheels comes up against an immoveable object such as a stump or a tree. Don't ask how I know. I also added a rack on top of the arch to carry my saw, gas, oil, safety gear, etc.

Haven't seen mine in about two months. Buddy of mine likes it quite a bit.

PawNature

Quote from: bitternut on November 13, 2005, 08:12:03 PM
Hey PawNature good job on the arch. You don't need any butt plate because when you slow down the log slides back down to the ground and acts as its own brake. I have dragged some pretty big stuff down steep grades with mine and it will stop itself easy.

I think you got the plans from me. I posted it here and it was also in the Farm Show Magazine. I sent out quite a few copies of the plans I made up but yours is the first that I have seen completed. You do need to add some guards in front of your tires though. All you have to do is run some sturdy angle iron or rebar out to the edge of your tire and then bring it back to the frame on about a 30 degree angle. Weld it to the bottom of your tubing frame. This will slide the arch around any brush or trees and keeps you from having a sudden stop when one of your wheels comes up against an immoveable object such as a stump or a tree. Don't ask how I know. I also added a rack on top of the arch to carry my saw, gas, oil, safety gear, etc.

Haven't seen mine in about two months. Buddy of mine likes it quite a bit.

Thanks for the plans Herb, It was really simple to build. I have plans to add the guards and also the bed that you had built I think that is a neat idea. Thanks agin.

Dale Hatfield

Herb
How do i get the plans

Thanks Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

bitternut

Dale you can send me a stamped self addressed envelope and I can send you a copy of drawings I made up or you can send me an e-mail address and I can send you a share link from OFOTO. I have a bunch of pictures there and the drawings.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!