iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the Shortest length you cut for FAS grade logs

Started by Max sawdust, November 11, 2005, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Your experience would be appreciated
I have bucked and milled approximatly 15,000 -20,000 board feet of Oak Birch and Aspen.  I have been cutting it to 100 inches.  I do not use end sealer cause I would go broke :D
I notice I have some spliting  on the ends of the lumber and am getting close to the 8 foot lengt for FAS and worried about getting FAS grade on some of it. 
100 inches is common for pulp in my area but what about saw logs ??? ???
What do you guys do?  I do not want all kinds of crazy lengths since I am working with large (for me) quanties of logs.
I am thinking 105 inch or something ::)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Coon

Just cut your logs a little longer and then trim off the extra once it has been sawn into lumber. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

pigman

If your logs are good enough to get much FAS the end sealer would be a good investment.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Max sawdust

Ya I bought a gallon of stuff for 20 bucks.  I hope it goes a long ways ;D
I need to look at latex paint or anchorseal if that is cheaper thant the stuff I bout at Woodmasters.
max
I will use it only on the real clear logs ;D
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

pigman

The last anchorseal I bought was about $40 for 5 gal delivered. It has been a while since I got it so the price may have changed.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bro. Noble

We cut everything 104"  so we can sell both grade lumber and 8'8" ties.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Hoop

I don't know anyone in the area (northern WI)  that cuts ANY logs only 100".  Pulpwood maybe, but certainly not anything with grade.
Most of the loggers I know cut everything 8'8".

I have heard of some loggers that do specialty cuts for birds eye maple, some of which are only 7' in length.

We cut lots of 10' veneer.  The veneer buyer tells me they turn the 10' chunks and throw away a foot on each end (they don't really throw it away, but use it for lesser grade items).  He claims it makes for top notch veneer.

Gary_C

Most of the Aspen and Birch in your area is cut at 100 inches for pulp. The price for Aspen has been high enough that few are sorting the solid center logs for veneer or sawlogs. There is a Aspen veneer mill in the UP that takes sound logs 8" and up and 104" long.

If you are not cutting any pulp logs, you could easily cut everything at 104 inches. If you are selling some pulp, 104 may be too long for some truckers and occasionally the pulp mills start ragging about overlength logs when some of their stacks tip over. Hauling 104 inch long logs crossways down the road can be costly if you get caught.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Frickman

FAS must be at least 8' long. Except for special orders, it is between 8' and 16' long. 100", 8' 4" like you are cutting, is a good length. Anchorseal, or an equivalent wax emulsion sealer, painted on the logs immediately after bucking is a good investment. It will stay on the wood after you saw the lumber out until you end trim it. Latex and other paints are about worthless as end sealer. Most grade logs we cut with 4" trim, but sometimes 8' longs are cut 8' 6" to make sure we get an 8' board.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Max sawdust

Thanks I really appreciate the input. 
Even though I am stupid I lucked out, cut my saw logs to 104+ lost that stick made a new stick and then cut my low grade aspen pulp with a 100 inch stick.  I will see how the 104 oak dries and what my final board lenght is may increase to 108 inch if needed.
When I intend to sell veneer logs, I will contact the specific mill prior to bucking to see what they want.

I will follow the advice and break down and invest in some anchor seal, this is not the first thread I have been told to use it on my high grade logs that I will saw.

Everything is plasterd in ice snow and it is 10 degrees today so it might not be the best day to seal logs.
Max
True Timbers

Thank You Sponsors!