iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veterans

Started by stumpy, November 11, 2005, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who served.
We owe ya!!!!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

old3dogg

Thank You all!!!!. We are so proud of you!

Norm

A big thank you to all our veterans.  :)

You folks are what makes this country so great. 8)

beenthere

Have been thinking about them often today.
What sacrifices and dedication they have given of themselves for what freedoms we have, and for those we still have to continually 'fight' for to protect from those with no respect or awareness.
Many thanks, and may we never forget and may we always continue to remind others.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PawNature

From my son who is still in he Army, and myself former USN, you are welcome.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Paschale

I had a gig today for Veteran's Day, and Fred Upton, the Congressman for SW Michigan said something that I'll remember:  We are the land of the free, because of those who were brave.  Thank you to all of you veterans among us!   8) 8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

Happy 'Rememberance Day' everyone.  8) Well, that's what we call it in Canada ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ARKANSAWYER

It is a humble thing to be.  A Veteran that is.   Alot of us did not start out to be one.  Some were forced while others were tricked.  A few used it as a way out from where they were.  There are those who came from rich families as a way to rebel as well as those from poor looking for  a steady meal ticket but most just came from the middle.   We just did not mean to become this Veteran thing.  It happened while we were not aware as we had a job to preform as the many before us had done.  As they say "Some gave all and all gave some".   But like a mighty oak form an acorn this thing sprung up inside of us.  It became more then a job, quest is more like it and we were the one to take up the task at hand.   To be a Vet is easy it was becoming one that was hard. 
  To those who were, those who are and them to come,  THANKS.

Sergeant    U.S. ARMY
  ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Texas Ranger

Couldn't have said it better myself, and wouldn't try, thanks Arky

Sergeant, US Army, a long time ago.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Radar67

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on November 11, 2005, 10:41:18 PM

It is a humble thing to be. A Veteran that is. Alot of us did not start out to be one. To be a Vet is easy it was becoming one that was hard. To those who were, those who are and them to come, THANKS.

Sergeant U.S. ARMY
ARKANSAWYER

I couldn't agree more. Reminded me of a scroll I got in Germany:

I was that which others did not want to be.
I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do.
I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness....should I fail.
I have seen the face of terror, felt the sting cold of fear, and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moments love.
I have cried, pained, and hoped....but most of all,
I have lived times others would say were best forgotten.
At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was....
A Soldier.

~Author Unknown~

Staff Sergeant    US Army
Currently serving

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

Thanks for putting that into words, Arky! There are as many reasons and stories as there are veterans.

A hearty THANK YOU to those of you who make us feel special on days such as this. It really means a lot! :) :)

And of course, we all owe a debt of gratitude to all the Veterans and current Servicemen who have given of themselves to keep us free.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

I had something happen to me this July that really supprised me. I went to the local WallMart to see if I could get some old 35mm slides put on a CD. The two young people working in the photo department never heard of slides and did not know if they could fit the slides in their machine. Finally an older lady working there said  the machine could do it but since I had 145 slides I would have to come back the next day to get the CD. The next day I picked up the CD  and they only charged me for a blank CD. The photo manager said "I looked at your pictures, welcome back, the processing is free".   The pictures were taken while I was in Southeast Asia . That was the first time in 35 years since I have been back that anyone has welcomed me back. I bet the lady had a brother or other relative that had served there and knew the non welcome we got when we returned.
Every year at our small church they ask the veterans to stand and be reconized for veterans day. In the past I never stood even though most knew I was a veteran. This year I think I will stand .
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Patty

To all soldiers, I say a heartfelt "THANK YOU".
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

stumpy

I do something small that I encourage all to do. When I'm out in public, and see a person in military uniform, I go up and simply say "thanks for serving" No big deal, just a thank you. I don't really know why I do it, but I think it's one thing to be thanked by friends and relatives, but it's another to be thanked by a stranger.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Fla._Deadheader

Pigboy, nearly 2 years ago, right here, on this Forum, I got a IM from Hay Trader, with that first real "Welcome Home". I still have trouble with these type threads, so, from me and maybe others, "WELCOME HOME".  smiley_wavy
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gary_C

It was truly an honor to have served. I add my sincere "thank you" to others that served and a prayer for those that paid a far higher price than I paid.

I remember the words of one of the men who was a prisioner in the Hanoi Hilton for over seven years. He said that people think that the every day life problems are difficult to endure, but for him "any day there is a door knob on the inside of the door is a good day for me."

Sergeant,  US Army,  Also a long time ago.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

TexasTimbers

I was sitting in church several years ago when the preacher, at the beginning of the service said something to the efefct ..."We want to take this opportunity to acknolwedge all our veterans who have served our country so well. So when I call your branch of service, please stand up and accept our show of gratitude by applause...."
"Army .... if you are serving or have ever served in the United States Army  would you please stand up ...."
Then it went on to Air Force, Navy, Marines ...
I was waiting for my branch to be called so I could stand up but he thanked all the men and women and went on and launched into his sermon.
The motto of my service is Semper Paratus. It translates to "Always Ready" but those of us who served time in the U.S. Coast Guard use to joke that our motto was not Semper Paratus but was actually "simply forgot us" :D

Here's a little history of how the motto was coined:

The first association of Semper Paratus with the Coast Guard hasn’t been absolutely fixed in time, but one diligent historian has traced it back to one Ezekiel Jones, captain of the Revenue Cutter Ingham. The Ingham became the only United States naval vessel to fire a shot in support of the Texas Revolution when it engaged a Mexican war schooner in 1835 in a brief attempt to recover two merchant vessels that had been seized for avoiding Mexican customs.

When Captain Jones was relieved of command the next year, a New Orleans newspaper wanted to express local gratitude both for Ingham’s action against Mexico and for other operations to support commerce, such as suppressing mutinies on merchant ships. Accordingly, the New Orleans Bee bestowed the sobriquet Semper Paratus....
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DanG

I guess I was just plain lucky...I try to make a habit of that. ::) ;D

When I was homeward bound from Vietnam, I had a layover in Atlanta.  Mr. Melvin Pope, a Tallahassee businessman was waiting nearby for the same flight.  I had once worked for one of his companies, and he recognized me, but couldn't quite place where he had seen me before.  I introduced myself and we visited all the way home.  He was fascinated to hear all about my adventures, and upon arrival in Tallahassee, offered me a ride home.  I had planned to call my folks to pick me up, but this gave me a chance for a surprise arrival. 8) 8)  When we got there, everybody came streaming out of the house and we had a big hug-fest in the front yard.  Mr. Pope quietly stood by after he unloaded my gear, with tears streaming down his face.  We thanked him for helping out, and he went on his way.  I occasionally ran into him around town and we would chat for a few minutes, over the years.  He passed away a few years back, and I'm pretty sure he took that night to his grave as a fond memory.

I've only recently begun to realize how important his little act of kindness was to me.  That early "Welcome Home" got me off to a good start in readjusting to being "back in the world."

I wish there had been a Mr. Pope for everybody.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

Quote from: DanG on November 12, 2005, 10:11:20 AM

I wish there had been a Mr. Pope for everybody.
Well, I did have a Mrs. Smith welcome me back. >:( Two days after returning I went to the small church I grew up in to be asked by a little lady how many babies I killed. Most of the others simply ignored me like I had the plague. This is the same church my older brother returned four years earlier to a standing ovation.  That day I did not understand, but after watching the news for a few days, I understood the change in attatude. The newspeople were attacking the troops not the war.
I am so grateful in the present mess in Iraq, they havn't started attacking the troops yet.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

twoodward15

Wow, I think Arky said it best.  You're all welcome
      TSGT USAF  still serving and still proud!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

WoodSmith

Wanted to join in and say thanks to all vets for your sacrifice and tell you how much I appreciate what we have in this country because of what you have done and will do in the future.

Fraxinus

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on November 11, 2005, 10:41:18 PM

It is a humble thing to be.  A Veteran that is.   Alot of us did not start out to be one.  Some were forced while others were tricked.  A few used it as a way out from where they were.  There are those who came from rich families as a way to rebel as well as those from poor looking for  a steady meal ticket but most just came from the middle.   We just did not mean to become this Veteran thing.  It happened while we were not aware as we had a job to preform as the many before us had done.  As they say "Some gave all and all gave some".   But like a mighty oak form an acorn this thing sprung up inside of us.  It became more then a job, quest is more like it and we were the one to take up the task at hand.   To be a Vet is easy it was becoming one that was hard. 
  To those who were, those who are and them to come,  THANKS.

Sergeant    U.S. ARMY
  ARKANSAWYER

Arkansawyer, you got me pegged all right.  I sure never did set out to be one.  Never had no intention.  I was "forced" the first time; went in on my own the second time.

Sergeant    U.S. Marine Corps
Staff Sergeant    U.S. Army
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Ron Scott

An appreciation that I have for retaining membership in the the National Wild Turkey Federation  (NWTF) is that at the beginning of their annual Chapter Membership and Fund raising banquets they honor all Veterans in attendance and provide them with a special Veteran's recognition pin.

~Ron

Texas Ranger

Ron, I pin mine to the bill of my sponser cap, and hang it on my gimme cap wall.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Riles

Ron, I've got a past president of NWTF teaching two of my courses. Dr Jim Dickson tells me he used his time in the Navy to get the GI Bill, and that's what got him started on his academic career.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Woodcarver

I enlisted in the Army during the Berlin blockade and served in France during the Cuban missile crisis.  I've never considered myself a veteran in the same sense, though, as those who served under fire, like my Dad who was an airborne veteran of WWII.  I'm a few days late with this, but I want to express my special gratitude for all of those who have seen action in the service of our country--and all of those who will. 

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

pigman

Quote from: Woodcarver on November 13, 2005, 11:54:06 PMI've never considered myself a veteran in the same sense, though, as those who served under fire

If you served your country in any branch of the servive at any time you are a veteran. 

Riles

Even if you're still on active duty.

Major, USAF (ret)
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

ARKANSAWYER

They say if you pull 160 days of continuious service in a branch of the Armed Forces then you are a veteran.  Some had some pretty cushy jobs and others got shot at alot but all did their time.   My oldest child was 9 months old when I first held her.  We got some around here with silver and bronze stars and purple hearts.   Then there are those who watched the back door in France while the others were keeping the front door from being kicked in.   Many a nights I stood over looking the DMZ and nothing happened.   Many a days Haytrader could not duck low enough.   The thing is we all pulled our 160 days and kept counting till our time was done.   Duty is what you are called to do and few of us got to choose what that would be.  All jobs were important and had to be done.  Done they were.  Duty was done, Honor was earned and the right to stand in this country and speak as we please is ours.   AMEN!
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on November 17, 2005, 09:49:31 PM

Duty is what you are called to do and few of us got to choose what that would be.  All jobs were important and had to be done.  Done they were.  Duty was done, Honor was earned and the right to stand in this country and speak as we please is ours.   AMEN!

That was said about as well as anyone could say it.  Thanks, Arky. :)

Fla._Deadheader

He do have a way of sayin things, don't he ??   8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

ARKANSAWYER

Watched the news this morning and got cussing mad.   There is a young Vet who gave all for his country and his Momma is saying it was for no use.   A waste of life and she is mad because her son stood up and became a Man.  A Man she should be very proud of and one that I am very thankful for.  It is a shame he had to lay down his life so she could stand in front of the TV cameras and smear his great deed.  Fulfilling his Duty gave the ultimate price of Love.   "For no greater love does one man have for another then to lay down his life."
  I do believe that she has the right to protest the war and the way it is fought.  I do believe that she is intitled to morn the loss of her child.   I do believe there are many more mothers and fathers who have buried their childern befor they should have.  I also believe that any life lost to defending freedoms that we enjoy could never be a waste.  Sorry for her loss am I, but gratefull for this young mans answer to the call of Duty I am greater.  Seeing her slander and degrade his Service and the honor due him just makes me cussing mad.   Wished I could take her by the hand to some far away lands that I have been to and let her see what death of her child has meant in the freedoms she enjoys.   Wished she could just spend one night in a foxhole overlooking "no-mans land" wondering what morning would bring.   Wished she could miss a few meals and nights sleep worring knowing that her actions could mean the life of her and her comrades.   Wished she could look into the eyes of a child in a far away land that has no real hope of a better life unless some fool from the homes of this Great Nation are willing to lay down their life for no greater love is there!

Just cussing mad am I!
ARKANSAWYER

TexasTimbers

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on November 18, 2005, 08:07:34 AM
"For no greater love does one man have for another then to lay down his life." 

Yes I'm with you on this totally. It's been going on for months actually.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends"

That from the KJV MacArthur Study Bible, and it will vary alittle from translation to translation but the meaning is the same, and your point is obvious and well made. He laid down his life for his friends (countrymen!).

It's obvious folks like you and me and those on this board were his friends and I join you in stating that his mother is more than out of line IMHO.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

tnlogger

I know I'm late on this and like FD theads like this are hard for me to respond to.
Arky no truer words have been spoken thanks  :) , and to all of our vets be they active or passed on to a greater life thank you all
gene

submarinesailor

On Veteran's Day about 12 years, had a very "unique and dynamic" young lady that I worked with; tell me that I was a "war monger" because I had spent 20 years in the US Navy – Submarine Service.  And before I could get a word in edge-wised, she proceeded to tell me that I do not deserve my retirement pay.  That could be better used for housing the homeless.

Well, after I got my infamous temper under control, (needed the job) I just looked her in the eye asked/told her:
•   How did she get the right to say what she did?  People willing the serve - veterans that's how.  She had that right to speak that way/freely because so many have gone before us and that we must never forget.
•    As to my retirement – I very calmly asked her, when was the last time she spent 210 days submerged under the water - in one year?  126 months under water in 20 years.  How many birthdays, wedding anniversaries and Christmas' had she missed?  How many bobos, report cards and school plays had she missed?  How many meals had she eaten where you had to cut the green stuff off the outside of the bologna before you eat it - fried bologna for breakfast, sliced bologna for lunch and roasted bologna for dinner.  Had someone never tried to send her to other city on the day your twin daughters were born?

I said a whole lot more, but you guys get the idea.  By the time I got slowed down, boy was she *pithed.  She still won't speak to me after all this time.

Even with all that time I spend away/under water, I still conceder myself very lucky.  The people like Arky and all the others who served in the Army and the Marines deserve the real credit.  I almost always had a clean, warm and dry bunk to sleep in.  Almost always, had at least fair food to eat – a lot of time it was good food.  Sometimes the hours were very, very ugly; but, that went with the job.  But, I always take my hat off to the guys and gals who really worked "In Harms Way"  Arky – a high school friend of mine just died from cancer.  He got from all the Agent Orange he was exposed to on the Vietnam DMZ.

Ok, ok, ok – I'll get down off my high horse.  But my way of honoring all of the veterans, is trying to never forget their sacrifices that gave us the freedoms most of us hold so dear to our hearts.

Bruce E. Byrd (Submarine Sailor)
FTCS(SS) USN Retired

dail_h

How'd I miss this????
   I'm not a veteran, but my daddy was in wwll,I had uncles and aunts serve in civil service during that time,a coupla older cusins served in Korea,and many highschool friends in vietnam.I couldn't serve,my vision was so bad,neither could either of my brothers.
   I hold no group of Americans in higher respect than our veterans.THey did what had to be done,so we can do the things that we want to do today.
                     SALUTE

The latest chapter in our families military relationship was the death of my wife's cousin in a military trafic accident following the battle of FAlusia

SGT M Hugh Caddy you are honored,and not forgotten.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!