iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic question

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 11, 2005, 03:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Can a typical spool valve be used to operate a hydraulic motor intermittently??  The gearmotor on the clamp has broken the magnet loose inside the case and that broke another magnet and jammed the armature.  I'm thinking of a 2 spool valve to run the hydrailic motor and the clamp cylinder up-down.

What say the experts ???  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

I've used a valve from a log splitter to run a hydraulic motor before. I honestly don't know what kind of valve it was.
remember man that thy are dust.

Stump Jumper

dont see why not my skidsteer does this all the time when I hook my hydraulic motor driven auger which is controlled by a hand lever hooked to a cable that goes down to a spool valve casting which has 3 open center spool valves in it 2 of which operate bucket tilt and up & down the third is for any hydraulic attatchment whether it be cylinders or hydraulic motor
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Fla._Deadheader

It needs to run the motor forward and reverse. That's why I'm asking. I think it will work, but, I wanna be shot down first, before I try it.  ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Harold,
On my mill the forward back is run by a hyd. motor.
The forward speed is controlled by flow-control valve.
The gig-back is controlled by spool valve.  It's normal
operation is full speed back, but, I can "feather" the
valve and slow the return.

Since I can feather the valve, I would assume that
the answer to your question is yes.   You can not
only make it work but control the speed as well.

mike_van

As long as it's open center valve on open center system, it will work fine - You can keep plumbing them together, as many as needed.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Stump Jumper

OK it cant be done  ::)  

btw my augar does run in both directions
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Jeff.  8) ;D ;D :D :D :D

There will not be much pressure on the valve except for the Bump tight of the clamp. The rest is back and forth for width. I'm gonna try it and see what happens.
  Thanks,  Guys
   First, it is ridiculed;

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.

Gary_C

You may have to watch out for pressure surges when the valve closes. With the motor turning with some inertia, the sudden stop may cause problems.  You may need a relief valve or shock absorber in the circuit.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Fla._Deadheader

Gary, The motor will turn a sprocket to sprocket to worm screw shaft driving the clamp sliding along the 2 X 2 steel guide bar.
Open center hydraulic system.  Is there a surge on the open center sustem ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

wiam

I hope it works for you Harold because I sort of copied your clamp, but so far I just have a crank on the end of the threaded rod.  I am pondering some hydraulics and had thought about a motor for the clamp.

Will

Fla._Deadheader

We have sawn a bunch of stuff with that rigged up gearmotor. Don't know how the magnet came loose to cause the problem. Now, that motor is not available.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Vermonter

The spools I have taken apart have a bit longer ramp on the spool.  It doesn't take much to make a difference at the rated pressure.  Make sure the relief is on the valve, too.  It was explained to me that you can get a pretty high surge on a motor.  BTW, if you can't find a motor, find another pump (single stage only)
New homestead

GF

They work fine but make sure to change the springs for the pressure to match the motors rated working pressure.  Most hydraulic motors do not require the 3000 PSi like rams do.  When I built my sawmill I contacted Prince hyrdraulics and they spec'd out the sectional valve for my mill which has 10 sections.  They did change out the springs in the ones running the motors once I gave them the specs on the motors.  Not sure how long a motor would last if you keep applying 2500-3000PSI to it if you just use a normal valve for a cylinder.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for all the input, guys  8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Gary_C

The type of hydraulic supply system does not make any difference, because it's the motor side that will be a problem. When that spool shuts off the hydraulic supply and return from the motor, it's like throwing a wrench in the gears to stop something. You need a relief on the motor side to keep everything together.

Many valves do have a relief built in. However the cheaper ones that are used for low inertia circuits like log splitters do not unless there is one built in for the supply side.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mometal77

Here is a good link i know we have converters for board feet in a log on the bottom of the page is a great way to see what you need from load,dia of cylinder,reservoir you will need in cu in.  Just a tidbit i hop you like.. 
bob
http://www.starhyd.com/select.html
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

D._Frederick

Deadhead,

I have repaired permanet magnet motors that the magnets have come un glued. Just grind out any glue or magnet chips with a die grinder. I wrapped the rotor with enough plastic tape (electrical tape) to build it up to about 0.020 inches. Dry fit it till you get the air gap correct, then glue it with epoxie glue. After it dries, pull the rotor out and take the tape off, it should run.

There is a special control valve to run motors, the handle rotates back and forth and pulls control valve in and out with cam action, it gives better control.

beenthere

Discussing hydraulics here, and some might want some extra info, which in part can be found at this Surplus Center site.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm

Interesting stuff.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quartlow

The travel on my breezewood is two motors controlled buy a spool valve, I have no idea what it looks like inside though.

I'll ask cous and post an answer here later tonight. Since thats what he does for a living and has been at it for 20 years.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Quartlow

Ok since I'm on break from the roofing. He said a reguler open center valve would work, preferably one with its own built in relief. 1500 to  1800 psi should be sufficiant to operate it. High pressure won't break it but it will l greatly shorten the life of the motor
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fla._Deadheader

The pump is set at 2250 max. The motor I am looking at will take 2400. The only time the pressure will be high, is upon clamping. The motor speed is 640 at 5.0 GPM. The pump puts out 3.8 GPM ???  See any problems with those numbers ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Quartlow

I don't see a problem at all. At 3.8  GPM your going to get a motor speed of 486.4
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fla._Deadheader

For an old dummy, I was figgerin right at 500 RPM.  8) 8)  Thanks Guys
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!