iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ROACHES ... How to get rid of em'

Started by woodbowl, November 11, 2005, 12:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Roaches .............discusting little critters! Almost impossible to get rid of. I've  tried everything that I know of to do away with them. Boric acid, roach motels, bug spray, tennis shoe from 20 feet! Down here in the south there big and nasty. No matter what you do they seem to come right back. Does anyone know a good way to take care of these fellows? Other than calling Orkin.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Fla._Deadheader

We used Boric Acid at the camp. Has to be FRESH.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Radar67

Hey woodbowl,
    The first thing to do is eliminate any moisture. They are drawn to it. I have also used a chemical spray with permethrine in it. They use to use it in chicken houses to control bugs. It is a little hard to find, but your co-op usually carries it. The smell is not bad either.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodbowl

Quote from: Radar67 on November 11, 2005, 12:20:41 AM

The first thing to do is eliminate any moisture. They are drawn to it.
Uhh ............ I can throw a rock out the back door and hit the pond. ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

Quote from: woodbowl on November 11, 2005, 12:25:40 AM
Uhh ............ I can throw a rock out the back door and hit the pond. ::)

I meant in or around the foundation of your house.  :D :D :D :D :D :D Now if you want to fill that pond in...... ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

Them little buggers like to hang out in the overflow holes on sinks and tubs. Also, in the Disposal side of the kitchen sink.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CHARLIE

I'm having to go back to when I lived in Florida and that was before 1972.

After I got married, we paid Nozzle Nolen (competitor to Orkin) to come around and spray once and month and that seemed to control them.  If they could not get into the house because no one was home, they would spray around the outside of the house.

There are some pesticides on the market now that might do the same thing as a Pest Control Company would do.  I think one of them is called "Home Defense" and comes in a gallon container with a sprayer and hose.  I think it is residual and you could spray your own baseboards once a month.  Even spray around the house.  Roaches get into the walls and can come out the electrical outlets or other small openings like where pipes pass into the wall.  So remove stuff from the cabinets under the sinks and spray good in there.  Spray around the outlets too.

Always check grocery bags when you come back from the grocery store. They like to ride inside in those. You don't need the grocery store's roaches.  Just keep all food sealed and put away and counters and tables wiped down good before going to bed.

That's about all I know about getting rid of roaches other than tenting your house.

When I was growing up, our house was the old wooden "Florida" house.  We had those big house spiders inside. We weren't allowed to kill them 'cause they ate the roaches. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

I never had roaches in my house till my dad passed away and i brought home a cabinet from his home. tried for almost two years to get rid of the filthy little buggers. Orkin didn,t help much. just slowed em down for a couple of weeks. finaly got local joe exterminator in and he put out some kind of poison with a penut butter base ( a poison on it's own if you ask me) that wiped htem out. none in ovre 10 years
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ScottAR

Stubborn little buggers ain't they...

Best easy to get spray I've found so far is Bengal roach and ant spray...   Comes in a great big orange can with one of those straw squirty things too.   Wear a mask as it's rank.  Squirt it everywhere that little straw will go...  in all the plumbing holes in the cabinets, behind the fridge,... everywhere. 
Then leave the house for awhile...

Follow up with the roach baits...  Might put some of those fumigator things in between these attacks...   

Coordinated attack will bring your enemies to their knees!!!......  er... ah... yeah...

Combination, combination, combination...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Rockn H

I've had two pest companies tell me not to ever use Bengal.  What ever type of poison they use is good, but because of the way it works, if you ever get another infestation it is twice as hard to get rid of and supposedly bengal won't work very well the second time.   When we first got our trailer I sprayed for spiders.  I wanted to be sure so I got a contractor and when he saw some dead bugs he wanted to know what I had used because if it was Bengal he would have had to use a different-stronger chemical.  When we moved it to our land we had it sprayed again and same question from a different contractor.

beenthere

Quote from: Rockn H on November 11, 2005, 02:26:31 AM
..... it works, if you ever get another infestation it is twice as hard to get rid of and supposedly bengal won't work very well the second time. .......

Hard to imagine that any type of resistance can be built up that fast in a population of bugs. We sometimes hear of resistances to 'treatments' built up over several generations, but in one or less, seems a bit too quick. 
But then, I don't know. That sort of info should be buried on the web somewhere, with some explanation why and what is happening. By chance do you remember the pest companies?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

Quote from: LeeB on November 11, 2005, 12:46:03 AM
finaly got local joe exterminator in and he put out some kind of poison with a peanut butter base ( a poison on it's own if you ask me) that wiped them out. none in over 10 years
LeeB, I've got a thing about not poisining myself and my family. I want to take a guess at what the peanut butter conbo is. Was it like a paste? I know someone who does the same thing. He mixes up flour, bacon grease, sugar and boric acid. I can't ever seem to get it to work. Maybe the perportions are all wrong. Deadheader, you say the boric acid's got to be fresh? Seems like it aught to keep forever in the container.

OneWithWood

We have a couple wolf spiders that are like members of the family, Boris and Natasha.  As long as they stay in the basement we don't bother them.  They eat a lot of critters from crickets to roaches.
I never tell our visitors who sleep in the basement about them.  What they don't know won't bother them  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Furby didn't know  :o :o :o

Or he did, and wouldn't stay  ::)

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

Long ago, I lived in an apartment that had roaches so bad, you could hear them at night.

I tried several things, most made me sick, then I got this powder called roach proof which is boric acid and some other poisen in it. I drilled 1/4 inch holes in the drywall on 16 inch centers and dumped the powder in each of them. After about 40 days the roaches where gone.

Look for Roach Proof powder.
remember man that thy are dust.

OneWithWood

Beenthere,
I did offer him a bed for the night (without mentioning Boris and Natasha) but he wanted to get back on the road.  I remember way back when, when I was his age, roadtime was the best time.
He most likely would have made friends with Boris and Natasha. :)

When we built the house I sprinkled Roach Proof between the studs before we insulatied and sheathed the walls.  It was many years before we saw our first roach.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

woodbowl

Quote from: Modat22 on November 11, 2005, 09:30:03 AM

I tried several things, most made me sick, then I got this powder called roach proof which is boric acid and some other poisen in it.

Look for Roach Proof powder.
Paul Harvey sold us on a can of "Roach Prufe" about 15 years years ago. I couldn't tell that it did anything. We still have half a can. Can't figure why it works for some and not for others.

rebocardo

First thing is to spray expanding foam around all pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, and dryer/washer room. Then seal electrical outlets (can use caulk), then seal around HVAC vents in the walls and floors. Then roach motels stand a chance. Seal the bottom of exterior doors well.

DanG

Best thing I've found is Combat paste.  I don't like to use poisons either, but you can put this stuff in places that it will never come into contact with your family. I put some behind the sink(under the countertop), behind the stove and 'fridge, behind the washing machine, etc.

The cockroaches we have here are bold and brazen.  They will just stand there at the door, waiting for someone to open it!

Where I have a real problem is in the barn where I feed the dogs.  I don't know what to do about them without poisoning the dogs. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

DanG, maybe you could take the dogs and other animals...and their food...out of the barn and set off several of those fumigation bombs you can buy at the store.  Then set out some of those COMBAT brand roach motels. They are supposed to have poisoned bait inside that the roaches take back to their colony and share.  Set them up and away from the animals. 

You might also consider getting a dogfood dispenser that dispenses the right amount of food for the dogs, so they'll eat it all up and not leave any around for the roaches.  Just a thought.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

And a fine thought it is, Charlie.  However, I can't imagine the blood-letting that would ensue if I put a dispenser out for those 8 mongrels. :o :o

The problem is actually in an open shed on the side of the barn.  There is also a stack of firewood, a small stack of lumber, and our recycling bin...all great places to be, if you're a roach.

Maybe I'll build my own "roach motel" and put a whole tube of Combat paste in it.  Just gotta fix it where the dogs can't get to it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

Quote from: rebocardo on November 11, 2005, 10:03:36 AM
First thing is to spray expanding foam around all pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, and dryer/washer room. Then seal electrical outlets (can use caulk), then seal around HVAC vents in the walls and floors. Then roach motels stand a chance. Seal the bottom of exterior doors well.

rebocardo, will that get rid of the roaches or just keep them warm while they are in the house. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodbowl

Quote from: DanG on November 11, 2005, 10:35:01 AM
Best thing I've found is Combat paste. 
DanG ............ what are the ingredients in the combat paste? If it's boric acid, I can believe in it because I know it works. Getting them to eat it is the thing. A good flavor that all roaches like seems to be key. I understand that they lick their legs to clean up and injest it that way also. .............. Nice to know that roaches clean up, huh? Imagine a roach that just won't clean hisself!  ::) ::)

ARKANSAWYER

I know how to get rid of roaches and keep them away.  It is proven to work as I worked in Conway AR for a rental company who spent $4, grand a year on bug spray for the 200 plus rental units.  (Most were very low rent)  Roaches were very bad in some.   If I could get the people to stay clean I could get rid of them.   I never told the company what I was doing as the tight wad would not pay me extra for my doings.  So when I left so did my organic non poision roach control.   Being a life long Southerner (ain't GOD good!) I can say I have not had to live with roaches.   OOPs customer I have to go.
ARKANSAWYER

Tom

The one thing to recognize about roach control is that their main aim in life is food.  Their second is hiding.   To get rid of a Roach infestation, one must start with the food.  Cleanliness is paramount but sealing leftovers and stored foods in a container that can't be broached, follows closely behind.

The Cleanliness part doesn't mean that you are a slob.  It just means that a roach can find a small piece of food you dropped, that was too small to notice, and he'll live off of it for days or weeks.  Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink.  Clean the floor, especially around baseboards.  Take everything out of cabinets and get rid of paper, paste, boxes, bags, etc.  Do you eat cereal for breakfast?  That box won't stop a roach even if you diligently close it. Boxes of food, like cereal, that aren't eaten in  short order, are roach bait.  

Paper containers brought home from the grocery store may, and probably do, contain roach eggs (ootheca).  The bean sized egg case that most folks are familiar with, is called an Ootheca.  It is just what the roach carries the eggs in.  There are actually 50 or 60 eggs inside of it.  

There is a common sized roach of about an inch or inch and a half that are lumped into "flying" roaches.  Other roaches can fly but these are such common roaches that they get lumped into one description.

The American Cockroach is the leader of the flying roaches.  Mistaken as being the same animal is the Brown Banded and Smoky Brown.

The German Cockroach is the little devil that comes into the house form the grocery store and takes over.  It is very prolific and the Ootheca is carried by the female until almost hatch time.  This makes it difficult to get rid of it with the trash or cleaning.  The German Cockroach is about 1/2 inch long.

The Oriental Cockroach is that great big wingless version.  He is known as a palmetto bug or wingless roach.  They aren't difficult to control indoors because they are mostly an outdoors insect.  They really like the damp places, so if you have them, look for things that would be damp like a mop or leaky pipe.   They are usually found out of doors in humus, under rotting logs, doorsteps welcome mats, etc.  They are probably the scariest because of their size,

Chemicals are about the only good way to control roaches.  Malathion, and like insecticides that will leave a residue, are necessary.   Aerosol is a fair way of application but they really need to be applied to surfaces to the point of runoff so that the crystallized chemical will adhere as the carrier dries.   Whether spraying or painting the application, be careful of eating utensils and children's toys.  Empty china cabinets and paint the interior.  Let it dry before returning the china.  Spray baseboards and under sinks where the pipes enter the walls.

Outside, spray foundations, pilings, piers, a/c ductwork, or any place that will allow entry.

Don't bring home corrugated boxes from the grocery and leave them in the house.  Those little grooves in the corrugations are ideal places for roaches to have deposited that Ootheca.

Be suspicious of any box or container that has come from a warehouse environment.  Even toys are stored next to food there.

One of the best write-ups of many good ones I've found on Google is this one from Texas A&M.
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-1458.html

A good write-up on the German cockroach is this one from IFAS (University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science)'
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german.htm

While not usually as bad a problem, you can read up on the Oriental Cockroach on this fact sheet supplied by Ohio State University.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2097.html

Thank You Sponsors!