iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ROACHES ... How to get rid of em'

Started by woodbowl, November 11, 2005, 12:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Ah, that's what I was wondering.............. what's inside.
Cool, I'll dig some seeds out and then dry some and not others. ;)
Thanks!

rebocardo

One thing my boss did in his rental houses was caulk the baseboards and toe boards so there were no gaps along the floor. This makes the house tighter and gives the roaches no place to hide or get into the house from inside the walls. We do the same to the windows, especially under the sill around the mouldings. Along with what I mentioned before. Another way they get in is through the lights from the attic.

Tom

I consider the walls and Attic as being inside of the house.   My war would take place outside with defensive measures inside.   

Perhaps designating Roaches as a delicacy would be a means of control.

We could have Roach-overs and Roach de vours, Roach chips, Roach energy snacks, Super bowl Roach parties,  Roaches and dip, Roach spread, Roach Pate', and even decorate birthday cakes with the little boogers. :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

I do highly recommend cicadia, roasted with butter, tossed with pasta and creme.

tastes like shrimp alfredo
remember man that thy are dust.

pigman

Modat, the only problem with cicadia is we only get to eat them every 17 years, or is there a way to preserve them for later use. :P
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

rebocardo

> I consider the walls and Attic as being inside of the house.

True, maybe I should say inside the living spaces.  I have watched the flying roaches come right up to the wall at night, land on the bricks or windows, and crawl right up into the attic. Being that most houses in GA have at least a 1/4 gap for venting between the roof and facia boards it is almost impossible to keep them out of the attic. Espeecially since a roach does not need much space to squeeze through.

luvmexfood

Ortho Home Defense. Think that's the name. Best home spray you can get.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Papa1stuff

Or you can take two pieces of 2x4,place roach on one hit it with other ,works every time ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

pineywoods

Best thing I have found is called a sticky trap. Works for any bugs and mice. Flat sheet of thick plastic coated with some of the stickiest goo you ever saw. Anything that touches it is trapped. Place one or 2 on the floor along a wall where critters might run. No chemicals, no smell, and they keep on working. When the trap gets loaded with victims, just burn trap and all..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

Pineywoods we use them for snakes in our basement, it's amazing how sticky them things are.  I caught about a 14" garter snake on one, it moved it a little but not much, the more they wiggle the more stuck they get.  They also catch every other little creeper around and as you said easy clean up.  I think the snakes get in under the siding and my wife is absolutely horrified by them, good thing we don't have the mean ones around here  ;). 

John123john

REMOVED BY ADMIN BECAUSE I WAS A SPAMMER

thecfarm

Just asking,do you live in an apartment? Reason I ask,some guy at work was fighting them. Just could not get rid of them. Finally he asked the guy next door about them,oh we got them,but not doing nothing to get rid of them. :o  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

I live on the gulf coast of Florida. We got roaches, big roaches, small roaches, American, German, palmetto you name it we got them.
This is what I use in my rentals. Works great and is residual. I spray room perimeters, kitchen bottoms and the baths.
Actually watched a palmetto bug walk across the cynoff line about a week after I sprayed. Soon as he got across he flipped over on his back and started the roach death dance. ;D ;D

Cynoff EC
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

starmac

DanG mentioned roaches that would wait at the door for you to let them, heck I have seen roaches down south that would open the door themselves, or use their gun or knife and force you to open it for them.  We called them palmetto bugs or tree roaches, my wife was always deathly afraid of them.

I have always heard the hedge, we called them horse apples worked. I have heard of old timers putting them under the house and never having roach problems, but no first hand experience. 
When we lived in an apartment right after getting married for 6 months, we could have it exterminated, and it would be roach free for a week or two till one of the neighbors had theirs exterminated, I think they just went next door instead of dieing.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 22, 2018, 01:37:24 PM
I live on the gulf coast of Florida. We got roaches, big roaches, small roaches, American, German, palmetto you name it we got them.
This is what I use in my rentals. Works great and is residual. I spray room perimeters, kitchen bottoms and the baths.
Actually watched a palmetto bug walk across the cynoff line about a week after I sprayed. Soon as he got across he flipped over on his back and started the roach death dance. ;D ;D

Robot Check
What's a Robot Check?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

caveman

I use a pyrethrum based product made by Zep and sold at The Home Depot.  It does a good job.  I spray the house every year or so.  You may need to use it more frequently until you get your roach infestation under control.  
Caveman

coxy

ya i remember the first time in FL them dang things would carry a fully loaded 10wheeler away there so big couldn't wait to get back to the frozen north  :D

ScottAR

First, Know that I am not judging you with this statement. 

Roaches live on scraps, crumbs, grease, trash, nearly anything.  So get rid of any "food."   Clean every nook and cranny that can be cleaned. Behind the fridge, under the range, Change trash bags often and so on.  Now you are ready to treat.

Cynoff works good.  I also use Talstar.   These are good knockdown to get most of the crawlers.

Then bait.   I've tried several pro type baits over the years and all seem to work well.  Google "DIY pest control" for online pesticide supply.  You can get pro level stuff.  Bait any place where you find scat. Behind the fridge, backs of cabinets, under the toekick,  on the back edge of the kitchen drawers. any area that seems like a good place to hide.   Kid and pet access is a consideration.

The female roach can have up to 5 sets of eggs on one breeding.  So it's not a quick fix even with the pro products.  This will be a few week process.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!