The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: ROACHES ... How to get rid of em'  (Read 15168 times)

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
Re: ROACHES ... How to get rid of em'
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 12:22:58 pm »
And a fine thought it is, Charlie.  However, I can't imagine the blood-letting that would ensue if I put a dispenser out for those 8 mongrels. :o :o

The problem is actually in an open shed on the side of the barn.  There is also a stack of firewood, a small stack of lumber, and our recycling bin...all great places to be, if you're a roach.

Maybe I'll build my own "roach motel" and put a whole tube of Combat paste in it.  Just gotta fix it where the dogs can't get to it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 12:35:09 pm »
First thing is to spray expanding foam around all pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, and dryer/washer room. Then seal electrical outlets (can use caulk), then seal around HVAC vents in the walls and floors. Then roach motels stand a chance. Seal the bottom of exterior doors well.

rebocardo, will that get rid of the roaches or just keep them warm while they are in the house. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline woodbowl

• Senior Member x2
  • Making dough bowls, is a lot of work, but fun.
    • Have Sawmill, Will Travel
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 01:18:41 pm »
Best thing I've found is Combat paste.
DanG ............ what are the ingredients in the combat paste? If it's boric acid, I can believe in it because I know it works. Getting them to eat it is the thing. A good flavor that all roaches like seems to be key. I understand that they lick their legs to clean up and injest it that way also. .............. Nice to know that roaches clean up, huh? Imagine a roach that just won't clean hisself!  ::) ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 01:34:17 pm »

I know how to get rid of roaches and keep them away.  It is proven to work as I worked in Conway AR for a rental company who spent $4, grand a year on bug spray for the 200 plus rental units.  (Most were very low rent)  Roaches were very bad in some.   If I could get the people to stay clean I could get rid of them.   I never told the company what I was doing as the tight wad would not pay me extra for my doings.  So when I left so did my organic non poision roach control.   Being a life long Southerner (ain't GOD good!) I can say I have not had to live with roaches.   OOPs customer I have to go.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 02:18:48 pm »
The one thing to recognize about roach control is that their main aim in life is food.  Their second is hiding.   To get rid of a Roach infestation, one must start with the food.  Cleanliness is paramount but sealing leftovers and stored foods in a container that can't be broached, follows closely behind.

The Cleanliness part doesn't mean that you are a slob.  It just means that a roach can find a small piece of food you dropped, that was too small to notice, and he'll live off of it for days or weeks.  Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink.  Clean the floor, especially around baseboards.  Take everything out of cabinets and get rid of paper, paste, boxes, bags, etc.  Do you eat cereal for breakfast?  That box won't stop a roach even if you diligently close it. Boxes of food, like cereal, that aren't eaten in  short order, are roach bait.  

Paper containers brought home from the grocery store may, and probably do, contain roach eggs (ootheca).  The bean sized egg case that most folks are familiar with, is called an Ootheca.  It is just what the roach carries the eggs in.  There are actually 50 or 60 eggs inside of it.  

There is a common sized roach of about an inch or inch and a half that are lumped into "flying" roaches.  Other roaches can fly but these are such common roaches that they get lumped into one description.

The American Cockroach is the leader of the flying roaches.  Mistaken as being the same animal is the Brown Banded and Smoky Brown.

The German Cockroach is the little devil that comes into the house form the grocery store and takes over.  It is very prolific and the Ootheca is carried by the female until almost hatch time.  This makes it difficult to get rid of it with the trash or cleaning.  The German Cockroach is about 1/2 inch long.

The Oriental Cockroach is that great big wingless version.  He is known as a palmetto bug or wingless roach.  They aren't difficult to control indoors because they are mostly an outdoors insect.  They really like the damp places, so if you have them, look for things that would be damp like a mop or leaky pipe.   They are usually found out of doors in humus, under rotting logs, doorsteps welcome mats, etc.  They are probably the scariest because of their size,

Chemicals are about the only good way to control roaches.  Malathion, and like insecticides that will leave a residue, are necessary.   Aerosol is a fair way of application but they really need to be applied to surfaces to the point of runoff so that the crystallized chemical will adhere as the carrier dries.   Whether spraying or painting the application, be careful of eating utensils and children's toys.  Empty china cabinets and paint the interior.  Let it dry before returning the china.  Spray baseboards and under sinks where the pipes enter the walls.

Outside, spray foundations, pilings, piers, a/c ductwork, or any place that will allow entry.

Don't bring home corrugated boxes from the grocery and leave them in the house.  Those little grooves in the corrugations are ideal places for roaches to have deposited that Ootheca.

Be suspicious of any box or container that has come from a warehouse environment.  Even toys are stored next to food there.

One of the best write-ups of many good ones I've found on Google is this one from Texas A&M.
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-1458.html

A good write-up on the German cockroach is this one from IFAS (University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Science)'
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german.htm

While not usually as bad a problem, you can read up on the Oriental Cockroach on this fact sheet supplied by Ohio State University.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2097.html
extinct

Offline Modat22

• Senior Member x2
  • I love my dog.
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 02:58:02 pm »
I guess you could just start feeding them  and selling them as a tasty treat. That woman in the tomb raider movies eats giant roaches as a low carb snack.
remember man that thy are dust.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 03:02:45 pm »
Actually, if you weren't concerned about what they had been walking over or had some way of making sure that the micro-organisms and toxicities were eliminated, toasted cockroach would probably be fairly nutritive.

I just never have been that hungry.  :D
extinct

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 03:11:29 pm »
Has any one mentioned pointy toe shows yet, you know to get into the corners? :P
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 03:33:41 pm »
The one thing that Texas Cowboys and New York Hoods have in common.  :D :D
extinct

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 03:39:36 pm »
Thats what cowboy boots were made for. Killing cockroaches in the corners.

Say DanG
My father in law always used to say "a rich man has one dog and a poor man has two." I dont know what he would say about EIGHT.  :) :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Modat22

• Senior Member x2
  • I love my dog.
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 03:47:01 pm »
Has any one mentioned pointy toe shows yet, you know to get into the corners? :P

Thats how the first line dance was created.
remember man that thy are dust.

Offline Radar67

• Senior Member x2
  • Cuttin Wood Now For My House Later.
    • Stewart Photography
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 03:55:05 pm »

I know how to get rid of roaches and keep them away.  It is proven to work as I worked in Conway AR for a rental company who spent $4, grand a year on bug spray for the 200 plus rental units.  (Most were very low rent)  Roaches were very bad in some.   If I could get the people to stay clean I could get rid of them.   I never told the company what I was doing as the tight wad would not pay me extra for my doings.  So when I left so did my organic non poision roach control.   Being a life long Southerner (ain't GOD good!) I can say I have not had to live with roaches.   OOPs customer I have to go.

So, are you going to keep the secret, or spill it?  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Offline woodbowl

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 06:41:43 pm »
Yea Arky, we're waiting for your customer to leave.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2005, 10:16:26 pm »

Sorry!,  I sold 500 bdft so I stayed to saw out 800 more for stock.

Hint,  They are green.     ;D   (no, not my tooth)

ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2005, 10:21:31 pm »

Hint, They are green. ;D (no, not my tooth)

ARKANSAWYER
Do they make green g r i t s. ::)

Offline woodbowl

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2005, 10:27:06 pm »

Hint, They are green.
  Green ..........hummm ...................... Arky, you got green chickens?

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 10:46:12 pm »

NOPE!   grits is only green if you put them hot peppers in there.

NOPE!  most chickens is red around here and wife won't let them in the house any more since one messed on the table. ::)

Hint:  theys ripe this time of year.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2005, 11:01:06 pm »
Hedge apple. :P

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2005, 11:19:02 pm »

To the Pigman goes the prize!

I learnt this many years ago and it has proven true many times.   After all have you ever seen a cockroach in a hedge apple tree?   ???  Get a few apples and slice them up and put them under counters and behind places that are dark like hot water heater and around and under the house.   They do not smell and will turn brown in a few weeks.   All I know if you keep the place clean and put these oranges everywhere you can the roaches will move out.    Try it.  It is cheap, easy and you do not have to worry about pets.
  We need to get a prize for the tip of the week.   ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2005, 11:24:18 pm »
Ha! :D  I was told that hedge apples will keep spiders out of the room they are put in.  So....I bought 4 or 5 of them and put them around in my shop.  A while later, I threw them all away when I discovered cobwebs attached to them. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"