iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which ripping chain do I need?

Started by Robert R, November 10, 2005, 05:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Ok, this is a follow up to my splitter question.  I figure a couple or 3 chains will be cheaper than a splitter so I'll go that route.  Especially for when I want to split big'uns on site.  I have a Stihl 390 with a 24 inch bar and a Stihl 021 with a 16 bar (that I am sure is to small for the job).  I know I could just call Bailey's and order one but I really like to get all my saw stuff from my local guy--he has serviced my saw a couple times for free as a result of loyal patronage.  Any ideas on which chain I need.  When I talked him, I don't think he really understood what I was asking so I'd like to be able to just "could you order me an abc chain". 

By the way, I tried that block on a block this morning trick--real slick.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Kevin

Full skip, 0 to 15o top plate angle makes for a better finish but if that's not a concern you can go to a 35o top plate angle.
You can buy commercial chain for this purpose, Stihl, Oregon.

rebocardo

The stuff Bailey's sells is low profile, 10 degrees (left and right). About $14 for a 24 inch loop.

sawguy21

The Oregon chain maintenance manual which is available on their site shows how to file ripping chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

if you are trying to split short stuff, cut from the bark side towards the pith instead of end to end, it will go much faster, but will produce long strands
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

greenefforts

I found a good explanation of sawchain for ripping at:
www.chainsawsforsawmills.com
My local store found that Oregon had minimum 25' rolls of just what i needed, but i have a bigger saw and use it in a portable sawmill much of the time. But if you read the site you should have a better idea of what to consider and what to avoid.

One caution that i got from Husqvarna, is that using ripping chain requires more caution than crosscut chain. They recommended only using rip chain if you had the saw bolted down. I can't confirm because i haven't tried any freehand ripping, only bolted to my sliding fixture.

What say you pros?
Do only dumb engineers get these warnings about kickback potential?

Dan_Shade

rip chain has more chances for kickback than a regular chain because of the angles it is ground.

kickback is caused when the top half of the tip hits something.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rebocardo

> I can't confirm because i haven't tried any freehand ripping, only bolted to my sliding fixture.

The only kickback I have gotten that stood a good chance of hurting me was free hand ripping a large oak log with ripping chain. I do use ripping chain to split firewood, with the grain, but, I take care not to bury the tip. The problem is keeping your cut straight and not cocked to the side when doing the ripping with a long bar.

Thank You Sponsors!