iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hemlock for a log home?

Started by HARLEYRIDER, November 09, 2005, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HARLEYRIDER

what are the pros and cons of using hemlock for a full scribed, hand crafted log home?

the location that I'm trying to "open up shop"has some EWP, but there is alot of hemlock and spruce....hemlock being cheaper and more easily available.

Greenwoods Timberworks

Norwiscutter

I really like hemlock in the application you have mentioned as long as you account for its low shear strength in the design process.  The stuff is very resistant to decay and as you said costs less.  It does get extremely hard when dry so your scribing and drilling should be done while wet if possible. It will be more difficult to work with than White Pine, but the results I think will be well worth it simply because of its rot resistant characteristics.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

HARLEYRIDER

How is the color of hemlock...much darker than EWP? more like red pine?   
I'll have to cut one down, and try peeling and working it.  Does it check about the same as pine?

the big mill said hemlock is the only species they'll sell me.
Greenwoods Timberworks

Norwiscutter

It turns out darker than both Red and White Pine and will likely check in a similar fashon. Sounds like the mill dosen't want to sell you anything that it can turn a profit processing itself. Call the loggers in the phone book and ask to buy directly from them.  Their price may be better than the mill on the hemlock, although many loggers in this area won't even touch it because there isn't any market for it.  I would think that 100-150/ cord would be what you could expect to pay for good hemlock sawlogs. cabin logs may be a little more.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

raycon

If you're going to finish the logs or plane surfaces check to make sure you like the look of planed Hemlock. In parts of CT its a lot easier to find Hemlock than it is to find White Pine.

If you have healthy hemlock I'd use it intermixed in the frame with  the white pine.
Lot of stuff..

HARLEYRIDER

ray
use hemlock with white pine?    just for a little color variation?

I haven't gone "independant logger" searching yet.  But I'm guessing that  because of the big mills in the area, even the small logger will want good money for white pine. This company (in northern Maine) has mills for hardwoods, pine, and cedar, and wont sell those logs,  but they dont use hemlock for much (so I'm told).....so it would be less expensive than pine.

next time I'm up where the hemlock is, I'll try peeling it, and working it.

So, why is hemlock the red-headed stepchild of softwoods anyways? Because milling is difficult?
Greenwoods Timberworks

mark davidson

the bark is tough to peel, I'd use a spud type peeler with a longish handle for leverage. Yes, work it green and seal the ends with wax as you go to avoid checking. I would say it will definitely check more than white pine. Our biggest problem with hemlock in Ontario is ring shake, which takes out about 25% of our harvest. I usually saw these shakey logs into siding for the farmers, the ones who are willing to nail the boards back together......
the colour has bronze in it, not too far from beech or eastern cedar.
Hemlock is our strongest softwood, right beside spruce but much more rot resistant.
Get ready to move some big weight, as wet hemlock is truly heavy.

thecfarm

Hemlock is good material to build a home with.I built a horse barn last year for the wife out of hemlock.Cut it on my land and sawed it on my manual mill.It is harder to work with I guess and heavier.I suppose that's why the sawmills won't pay much for it.It's a harder wood.I would much rather use hemlock than pine.I have broke a few pine 2 bys by running them over with the tractor,not too many hemlock have broken.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ernie_Edwards

My first log cabin was a 24' x 24' blacksmith shop for my wife. Full scribe, all with a chainsaw.

If you cut the trees down in the spring the bark will peel off very easily, I could get the bark off a 16' log almost in one piece in a matter of minutes. But when I came up short and had to cut more logs around august I had to draw knife every square inch, DanG hard work.

Of course I allowed for the doors and windows to settle but was surprised how little settlement occured, nowhere the amount in the red pine cabin we live in.

The boards I sawed for the roof were prone to easily split, requiring a lot of sorting of logs and boards to get the job done, but the boards are very strong when they don't split.

The logs do have a lot of taper so a lot of planing is required to make each log fit and have to walls go up somewhat level.

When finished with a stain and sealer you should have a project that looks good and will last.

Good luck and have fun.

HARLEYRIDER

thanks
I am planning a late winter harvest, so bruising from  skidding is minimal, and peeling is easy. Seal ends, and peel as needed
Greenwoods Timberworks

Greg

Quote from: HARLEYRIDER on November 20, 2005, 09:20:06 PM
ray
use hemlock with white pine?    just for a little color variation?

I haven't gone "independant logger" searching yet.  But I'm guessing that  because of the big mills in the area, even the small logger will want good money for white pine. This company (in northern Maine) has mills for hardwoods, pine, and cedar, and wont sell those logs,  but they dont use hemlock for much (so I'm told).....so it would be less expensive than pine.

next time I'm up where the hemlock is, I'll try peeling it, and working it.

So, why is hemlock the red-headed stepchild of softwoods anyways? Because milling is difficult?

Shake.

Thank You Sponsors!