iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to sell my mill.?

Started by choirboy, November 09, 2005, 05:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choirboy

I own a lumbermate 2000 that I will never use.  It came to me instead of cash as part of a complicated financial deal.
It's located in Northern Wisconsin. Can anyone advise me how to sell it?

Kelvin

post it here on the bottom of the page.  Resonable price wiill get it sold easy.  What size, enigine and all the stuff that goes with it.  Local ad in paper another idea.
k

Tom

Instant message Jeff B or send him an email.  He will probably let you into the commerce page to post that mill or will make your post himself.   

Being selective of new members using that forum benefit is to aleviate the use of it by Spammers.

beenthere

choirboy
How do you come by the name? 
And, not using the lumbermate because of no interest, no place to saw, no logs to saw? 
I don't have a saw either, and would like to get one to saw logs, but right now don't have an interest in handling and caring for all the lumber that would (it might happen  :) ::) ) some off the saw. Too many other interests at this time.

Welcome to the forum.

Are you located in N. WI ?      How were your fall colors? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

aothmer

This ad was in the most recent Wisconsin Farmer:

134-Logging Equip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WANTED: Manual band sawmill, very good cond. 920-699-3464.

The lister might be interested in your mill.

Jason_WI

Choirboy,

If you have the lap siding attachment I would be interested in buying just that.

Otherwise www.sawmillexchange.com will list your mill for a fee.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Hammy

Choirboy,

You could try & contact Norwood to see if they run a secondhand mill referral system. I know with us here at Petersons we keep an updated list of owners wanting to sell & happily pass these details on to interested buyers. I assume Norwood would get calls like this too so may run a similar system.

Give them a try, they may have people on their books looking for the exact mill you want to sell!!

All the best!!   ;)
C. Hammond
Petersons

Jeff

New members are not elegible to use the commerce section of the forestry forum. In fact, because I can't seem to interest sawmill exchange into some sort of support for all the referrals that we send, I am considering starting a paid advertising for used equipment on the forum. Doesnt make sense to send them someone that will make them a few hundred to a few thousand dollars and the Forestry Forum to not get some sort of benefit.

I am having a tough time making ends meet due to the forum being my only job and I have to find away to generate some income.  Seems that we are quite successful at getting used mills sold and I am thinking that that service should start generating some funds towards Forum support. I am considering changing the commerce section to a pay to list for items say, over 500 dollars in value.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kelvin

Yeah, i guess its hard to run things like this, but i hope if you ad a fee, its not too big.  The sawmill exchange is way too much for the service in my mind.  Hope it doesn't happen at all, but if it does, i guess it has to.  By the way, thinking about changing things, is there anyway to make loading photos easy?

Dan_Shade

hmm, if there were a scripted optimizer, that would make things super easy!  too bad I have no idea how to do such things, hah!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

Kelvin, I can't think of any way to make loading photos easier. Go to the "Behind the Forum" section. DanG wrote a great piece on photos. If HE can do it, anyone can.  ;) :) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

raycon

My $.02.
The support the forum by having a fee/% of sales ecommerce section sounds like a good idea.  I sold a piece of equipment via the exchange this summer. Both buyer and myself are forestry forum members/lurkers.  The $500 commission could have just as easily gone here -- we both probably found out about the exchage via this site.  The buyer says hes already paid for the machine as had I and wants to upgrade. He'll probably list it on the xchange in the spring from the sounds of it.

Ray
Lot of stuff..

Fla._Deadheader

Ours is parked by the shop, near the Hwy. Some guy left a note saying he wants to buy it. We meet tomorrow at 10 AM. The price didn't faze him at all. 

I'll save all the cool smileys and stuff until I take the deposit.  ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

You know what?  I don't think there should need to be a rule that if you sale something you owe the Forum 10%.  Looks to me like a lot of people benefit from the Forum in all kinds of ways.  And if you make out well on a transaction, maybe you should consider donating a little to the Forum that brought it all together.

There is a "Support you Forestry Forum" button at the end of the list of Forum supporters that you can use to make a donation.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SawDust_Studios

The photo section is a little screwy. I did a photo optimizer for "my other job" once that allowed you to upload photos of any size and the program automatically resized them at whatever resolution the admin chose.  I'd be glad to provide it, but unfortunately, it was in .asp and the forum is in .php  :P  Enough tech talk ::)

Is this what your talking about?

Regarding the $$ for the site.  That other forum, ww, started charging $5 a listing or less if you buy in bulk and it hasn't seem to slow them down. It is a different beast, litterally   :D, but I'd say that would help, then charge like 1-2% on the honor system like Sawmill Exchange does. I think there 10% fee is high and it often causes sellers to artificially raise their prices to make the difference.

Jeff, I have no problem with it if it's within reason. Heck, if I advertise in my local paper, it costs me $5-10 for a short ad.  I can write a long descriptionj here and post pics. At least try to post pics  :D

Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Bibbyman

I sympathies with people that struggle to upload pictures.  But it's really not that hard.  It's like riding a bike – if you fall off, you just get back on.  Once you got it, it's no big deal. 

I think where a lot of people fail is in prepping the picture.  There is a lot of info on the topic so I won't go over it again.  I have a couple of photo editors and have had some practice at modifying digital pictures.  The software I'm using now is Photo Explosion Deluxe.

After you have a picture that is acceptable to upload, it's just click, click, click and follow the steps.  This process too has been well documented.

Here is a picture that I included a couple of extra features and moved some people using Photo Explosion Deluxe.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pigman

I double post, forget to include the picture in the post and other dumb things, but I can post pictures. 8)  I can't let DanG out do me. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jason_WI

Jeff,

Another forum I belong to has subscribed memberships which allow those members to have more personal messages stored and more photo gallery space. You could also use this for the For Sale section. Depending on membership you get so many free postings in the For Sale section.

Bronze Membership
50 Mb gallery space, 15Mb gallery upload file size, 300 PMs storage, Bronze Star recognition   
Validity Period: 1 Year 
Cost: $20.00

Silver Membership
70 Mb gallery space, 20Mb gallery upload file size, 500 PMs storage, Silver Star recognition   
Cost: $50.00

Gold Membership
100 Mb gallery space, 25Mb gallery upload file size, 700 PMs storage, Gold Star recognition 
Cost: $100.00

Just an idea here.

Sorry about the reference to sawmill exchange. I thought they were OK to mention here.....

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Jeff

They are Jason, I've always allowed it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ohsoloco

Kelvin, as FDH already said, DanG did a nice write up about posting photos.  Also, I don't know if it's in that thread or if there is a link to it, but Paschale also did a write up about his experience uploading photos, and that really helped me to get started  :)  I read up on those posts for a little bit, then did like they told me...I can now upload a pic to my computer, optimize it, upload it to the FF and put it in a post in just a couple minutes.

Paschale

Quote from: Jeff B on November 09, 2005, 10:06:17 PM
I am having a tough time making ends meet due to the forum being my only job and I have to find away to generate some income.  Seems that we are quite successful at getting used mills sold and I am thinking that that service should start generating some funds towards Forum support. I am considering changing the commerce section to a pay to list for items say, over 500 dollars in value.

I think this fee for selling is reasonable, and a good idea.  It's really pricey to run this forum, and we all benefit tons from the knowledge on here.  Everyday it grows, and more and more people understand why this forum is such a great resource.  This isn't making anybody any money, except for the people who are able to sell some things on here simply because Jeff has been decent enough to open up that opportunity.  It's a big financial burden on Jeff and Tammy, and this seems like a fair and pragmatic way to help them keep the forum up and running.  It'd be nice if it could be an honor system for people to donate a certain percentage of their profit, but even well intentioned folks don't always remember to follow through with good intentions.  As I think about this, I'm reminded of high school economics:  TANSTAAFL.  "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch."  The Forestry Forum is great, but it isn't a public service--it's one guy who loves this place, and who's passionate about forestry, logging, milling and all things having to do with wood.  And it costs a lot of money to keep it running, and he's not making any money on it.  I think everybody on here who loves this place should stand up and support this idea of the FF reaping some of the benefits of those who benefit from the Commerce section.  I'm not sure why this thread turned into a thread about making photos easier...paying for the Forum is pretty DanG important.  And believe me...if I can post pictures, anybody can.  ;) The fact that we CAN post pictures actually is one reason why the forum costs more money.  It doesn't matter how hard or easy it is--all of those pictures take up valuable server space and bandwidth, so I think more of us should step up to the plate and support this idea of charging something in the commerce section.  Otherwise, we're really just using Jeff and his generosity to profit ourselves.  That just ain't right.   One thing that people find when they stumble on this little corner of the web is that the majority of the folks are principled people, with a strong work ethic, and a strong sense of justice and right and wrong.  I think people have been able to benefit from Jeff's open policy about the Commerce Section.  Don't you all think that it's just a matter of decency that a portion of the proceeds of those sales should be used to keep the lights on?  It's a no-brainer, if you ask me.

Sorry it's such a long post--I just feel pretty passionately about this.  Jeff works his tail off, and I wish he could at least earn a little compensation for his work.   :-\
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Thank You Sponsors!