iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

asy has a question... RE: Schooling in other countries.

Started by asy, November 09, 2005, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Well, my question is pretty simple (I think)...

I was wondering, we get a lot of US and UK telly shows here, obviously, and they talk about things such as 'fresh men', 'juniors', 'o-levels', etc...

What are your high school years called and how does it work over there?

Our kids go to high school in year 8, and go through till year 12. After that they can go to university if they wish. 

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Tom

Elementary- 1-6
Junior high - 7-8  sometimes called middle school and then it includes 6th and 9th

High School - 9-12
       Freshmen -9
       Sophomore - 10
       Junior - ll
       Senior - 12

College (undergraduate)
  Freshman- 1
  Sophomore -2         Sometimes college is called 13, 14, 15, 16 etc.
  Junior - 3
  Senior - 4     (usually terminating in a bachelor, arts or business degree

College Graduate
     Master programs          variable time periods depending on the subject
     Doctorate programs
      Professor.

Engineer

Well, you just ended THIS thread abruptly, Tom.   ;D

Tom

I don't know, Engineer.

My wife just walked by and said ...Dummy!   It's not like that anymore.   :D

So......    If it isn't like this anymore, What's it like? :P :P :P

beenthere

I've not heard of the 13, 14, 15, and 16 descriptive numbers for the college levels (not that I don't miss things once in awhile), so I learned something. 
Didn't "Dummy" find out the right 'answer'  ??? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

It wasn't offered. :-\   Usually all I get is criticism and a slap on the back of the head. :D

SwampDonkey

Here in New Brunswick:

Elementary grades 1-4

Intermediate grades 5 - 9

High School grades 10-12
   Industrial
   Business
   College Preporatory

College or Univeristy
   Undergrads 4 or 5 year bachelor's degree
   Graduate Students 1-2 years Masters (thesis), 1-2 Doctorate (thesis)
   Christmas graduates :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

Round here middle school is only grades 6-8 (also called junior high).  Most public elementary schools start with kindergarten and end with grade 5, and a lot of the private elementary schools include grade 6.

Furby

Quote from: beenthere on November 09, 2005, 07:27:13 PM
I've not heard of the 13, 14, 15, and 16 descriptive numbers for the college levels (not that I don't miss things once in awhile), so I learned something.
Those numbers are offten used on various forms for showing the number of years of college one has had.
Lots of people start college, but never finish, or are in college. It is one way to reconize those facts.

Riles

I'm in my first term of a forestry degree and they don't know what to make of me. I've got a bachelor's (engineering) and a masters (management) already and I get lots of questions. For some things I'm considered a "senior or above" and others I'm a freshman. They're even waiving prerequisites for me if I take the classes simultaneously. (Botany is a prerequisite for Dendro which is a prereq for Ecology). I get to take classes with everybody!

I just tell everybody I'm going to be the new dean and I'm checking out the instructors.

Or that I'm trying to better myself because I just got out of prison. For killing a guy. For asking too many questions...
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

beenthere

Quote from: Furby on November 09, 2005, 08:27:50 PM
Quote from: beenthere on November 09, 2005, 07:27:13 PM
Those numbers are offten used on various forms for showing the number of years of college one has had.
Lots of people start college, but never finish, or are in college. It is one way to reconize those facts.

OK Furby, then where are the numbers 17, 18, .....etc.....??? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

To be honest......... I don't know.
Most forms I've seen go to between 16 and 20.
But I have seen one form go as high as 24.  :o
I like the ones where they just leave a blank for you to fill in, much simpler as far as I'm concerned. ::)

Dan_Shade

Quote from: Riles on November 09, 2005, 08:43:43 PM
I'm in my first term of a forestry degree and they don't know what to make of me. I've got a bachelor's (engineering) and a masters (management) already and I get lots of questions. For some things I'm considered a "senior or above" and others I'm a freshman. They're even waiving prerequisites for me if I take the classes simultaneously. (Botany is a prerequisite for Dendro which is a prereq for Ecology). I get to take classes with everybody!

I just tell everybody I'm going to be the new dean and I'm checking out the instructors.

Or that I'm trying to better myself because I just got out of prison. For killing a guy. For asking too many questions...

ahh the question askers, I hated those guys!!!!

age does change things, the questions I never minded as much as opinionated professors that you feared grade retaliation (they'd flunk you for arguing with them, so you just sat there waiting on the clock)...

If I went back, it would be just to argue with those types, because the 2nd time around would be different, but honestly, I have no interest in going back, once was plenty for me!  (if I did go back, I would only audit classes, that way I wouldn't have to do the stupid assignments and could do what I deemed necessary to learn things instead.)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

Quote from: Riles on November 09, 2005, 08:43:43 PM

I like your attitude ;D. I was in elementary until grade seven then it was high school until grade twelve. Simple. No fancy titles. Grade thirteen was supposed to be the equivalent of first year but a whole lot cheaper so I did it. Then I went three years to get my degree. After that went to trade school so I could get a job.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

There are some people who make going to college a career, as long as the funding holds out. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JimBuis

Elementary School, Grade School, or Primary School {depends on who you talk to and what century they were born in}, the grade levels depend on the school district or region  in which the school is located but usually either kindergarten through 5th or 6th grade

Middle School {used to be called Junior High School} ditto above usually something like 6th through 8th or 9th

High School ditto above and usually 9th through 12th

College
Junior College or Community College:  usually a two year college awarding an Associate's Degree

Bachelor's Degree -- what Tom said, however he forgot the Bachelor of Science

Tom covered it pretty well.  However, one last thing that he forgot to mention is as follows, of course it has been cleaned up some as we are a family friendly forum:

BS -- Bull Stuff
MS -- More Stuff
PHD -- Piled Higher and Deeper
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Engineer

Riles, you are too cool.  Great reply.   :D :D

I went from being an average student in my engineering classes, now fifteen years later, my old college advisor is calling me asking for ideas for senior projects for his students.  I'd love to start over in a new degree program knowing what I know now.   We had a couple of older students, probably mid-30's, who were always the ones asking the questions and buggin' the professors.  Also they got the "A"s.

Riles

I've spent a great deal of time trying to figure out why I'm doing so much better as a student now, when I did so poorly 25 years ago.  I've come up with a ton of reasons, but none stand out as THE reason. I do know that, even as a marginal 2.0 engineering student, I learned a whole lot that I'm using today as a 4.0 forestry student.

Everybody needs a hobby. Until I get to the point where I can buy and use a sawmill, looks like my hobby is collecting university degrees.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Riles

Yeah, as I've told some of them kids "I've got underwear older than you."

Some of those kids are pretty sharp. And there are quite a few "non-traditional" students in the program. I may not even be the oldest student in the program (although I know better than to try and ask her ;)).

asy

Geez....

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys!  :-*

I think I should have stopped reading at the end of Tom's post.  :-\

I think I am more confused now.

Although I didn't realise you could have junior, sophomore, etc at high school and at college, that explains why in some movies juniors seem about 14, and in others they are about 20!

Thanks

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

pigman

Quote from: asy on November 11, 2005, 05:04:18 AM

that explains why in some movies juniors seem about 14, and in others they are about 20!

Thanks

In some movies the actor playing the high school junior is about 40. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!