iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Peterson on its way.....

Started by FC_PineKnot, November 09, 2005, 03:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC_PineKnot

Well, I took Tom's advice and went to Moultrie.  I saw the bandsaws and the swinger operating side by side.  I came home and did a lot of thinking and asking questions – and decided I had to have that Peterson! ( 8" WPF, 27 HP Kohler, Hi-Lo frame)

I saw advantages to each type of mill, but after thinking about all the pros and cons for each one, I finally decided that "what I really wanted" and "what I was willing to pay for" was just as important as "which mill is best."  I feel sure either type would do a good job for me.  In the end, the Peterson was "what I really wanted", so now the paperwork is done and Peterson says my mill will leave the plant this week for that long boat ride to its new home!  It should arrive on or before Dec. 23.  Man, won't that be fine Christmas present to unwrap!

Just want to say thanks to all those I met at Moultrie – Tom, DanG, Don K, DonE911, Woodbowl, Ga_Boy and Captain.  I really enjoyed talking to all of them.  Don K, Tom, Woodbowl and DanG all seemed like my old friends before I left.   Can't wait to get together again.

So I guess I'll try to find something to keep me busy while I'm waiting for that boat!  Got a new shed to build and a few more storm trees to cut and drag out.  Should help pass the time.  Oh yeah, and I've got some new friends to jaw with on the forum!  That should help too.

Can't wait to start making sawdust!!!!!!!

8) 8) 8)

Pineknot

rbjones03

PineKnot

Welcome to the club!! It sounds like you have exactly the same set-up I got back during the summer. I have had no regrets and have actually impressed serveral people that couldn't understand how an 8" saw could possibly keep-up with them high dollar bandsaws.

Well I (or I should say Peterson) made believers out of them. You have an awesome machine coming and won't be disappointed.

Good luck.
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Ga_Boy

PineKnot,

Congratulations on the mill purchase.  I sure you will be happy with a 8" WPF, the 27 Koler is a nice engine.  I know that I like the one I have on my 10".

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in support of your mill.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Stan P

Congrats PineKnot,

How are you getting the machine so quickly?  I thought it took at least 2 months? 

By the way, Mark  I thought you were on your way to Fairfield? LOL

Stan

BigTrev

a nice big shiney WPF for Christmas, what more could you really ask for  ;D nice choice of mill, the 8" 27hp WPF is by far my favorite mill. Just thinking about it makes me wanna go make some dust  :'( wonder what the rest of us have to do to get Santa to be so kind  :D
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Hammy

Hey Pineknot,

Just wanted to take this opportunuty to welcome you aboard to both the Peterson team as well as this great Forum. I am sure it will be very helpful to you as you start milling in the months ahead.

I have just been out the factory & your mill is all crated up & about to head out today!! We wanted to put a big red bow on it, since its Christmas but I don't think it would have lasted the journey!  ;)

Thanks!
C. Hammond
Petersons

Tom

Troy

Congratulations Pineknot!  Looks like your WPF and my ATS will be on the same shipment.  Now I can email you every day starting mid December and say "Did you get 'your' mill yet"?
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Captain

Chris and Jake say I've got a Christmas present too..... ???

Wonder what it could be.......

Congrats Pineknot!! 

Captain

FC_PineKnot

Thanks all for your encouragements!

Mark - Thanks, I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Hammond - I'll put a big bow on the crate AFTER it gets here!!!

Troy - we'll definitely keep each other up to date on that boat's progress!

Stan -  by the time I get the mill it will have been almost 2 months, so I guess they treat everybody special!

Captain - hope you'll enjoy your Christmas present as much as I plan to enjoy mine!

Tom - Wa-hoo is right!!!!!!!

I got an email from Marama at Peterson and she said there's someone nearby (90 miles) who is getting (or just got) an new ASM!  I'm gonna email him soon and get the details.  I want to check it out in case I need to UPGRADE in the near future!!!!!!

Everyone at Peterson has been super helpful.  Rex and Marama have patiently answered all my questions.  They both have gone "above and beyond", and I'm sure this is an indication of what things will be like after I get the mill.

Thanks to all again.

Wife

Now captain, dont tell everyone that you are getting a new hat, they will all want one.. ;)
BTW, I noticed that the mills had ALL gone this morning :o, must be heading to their new home 8). Got room in the factory for some more now  ;D.
Chris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

DanG

[

Hammond - I'll put a big bow on the crate AFTER it gets here!!!

Better plan on putting that bow on the mill.  The crate will just be a pile of splinters in a few minutes! ;D :D :D

Congrats on getting a fine mill.  Better get your "Honey-Do's" taken care of before it arrives.  You ain't gonna want to do anything but saw, when it gets here. 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Minnesota_boy

Gee, I saw that title and thought that you were announcing the pregnancy of Mrs. Peterson.  :o ::) ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

oakiemac

For all you who have the petersons already- how hard is it to make a double wide cut? In other words if you have an 8" saw can you easily cut a 16" wide board? Or if you have the 8incher can you cut a 10" wide board or does it have to be double?

Sorry pine knot didn't mean to hyjack your thread. ::)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ga_Boy

Oakie,

Double cutting with a Peterson is just about as easy as making redualr cuts.

There is one thing to take in to account when double cutting, you need to set your log up such that you have enough room on the right side of the log to mill from.

On that big Maple I did, it was too big for me to double cut, what a shame.  That log would have produced some very nice 20" wide stuff.

If you ever make it to DC drop by and try it.

Mark

DonE911

Peterson is giving presents this year??? 

To whom to I send my christmas wish list?? ;D ;D ;D

oakiemac

DC?? They have any trees in that area? I know they have a bunch of dead heads that I would like to treat like a log >:(
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Tome

Congrats Pineknot

It has been almost two years since I got my 8"ATS, I was hoping for Christmas but it came in January.  It has been a fine machine, I have cut a lot of large red and white oak logs with it and I just love the six tooth blade.  I was cutting my last log with it the other day and hit a nail and cleaned my teeth off it so I had to put my eight tooth back on. 

I had to put mine up for a while, I had colon surgery and they found I had cancer but I am determined to beat it and get back at sawing.

You will enjoy the Peterson it is really an enjoyment to work with when you have everything working right.  Good luck with it.

Tom

beenthere

Will be keep'n you in our prayers to lick this thing and get back to the 8" ATS. Much more fun! 
Keep sawin',
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

We'll be keeping you in our prayers as well, Tome.  Keep that ATS where you can see it.  It will give you inspiration to get back into the "swing" of things. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ga_Boy

Tome,

Were are hoping the best for you, we know you will make it.

Oakie,

I hear that.

Mark

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Welcome PineKnot!

I just bought a 10" Peterson a couple of months ago.   The original owner in Westminster, Maryland had to get out of sawing for health reasons.  The mill had 22.5 hrs. on it and I have already tripled that reading!  I keep one blade on the mill and another on its way to the saw shop for teeth (since I cut a lot of yard trees). :D

I love big logs, but did not want to get into a bunch of support machinery, etc., so the Peterson was the road for me.   When I cut down to a level in a given log where a large slab is irresistible, I just break out my old friend the Alaskan mill with the 090, slab a couple of times, then finish with the Peterson.   I course I do the trick on the remnant slabs at times too, but sometimes I gotta have those heart-cut, and next-to-heart slabs!

Tome, hope  and pray to the Good Lord that you will be swinging again !

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Tome

Thanks Guys for the prayers they are greatly appreciately.  Yes, I plan on being back to swinging before long.    You guys are the best.

Tome

FC_PineKnot

DanG - that big red bow on the crate will be for 1 photo and then we'll make splinters  :D  My wife is apparently smarter than I gave her credit for - she's already complaining that I'll be spending more time sawing than making her "honey do" list shorter!   Think I'll make it up to her and buy her a nice Christmas present (you know, maybe one of those blue handle Peaveys)!!!!!!!!

Phil L - glad to hear you're liking the Peterson you bought.  Keep those encouraging posts coming!

Tome - so sorry to hear about your cancer.  We'll also hold you up in prayer.  I believe the Good Lord made us and He knows how to fix us when we're broken.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Made a new friend last week - Raymond in Denham Springs, LA - his Peterson ASM is also on its way.  I hope to meet him soon and check out the dry kiln he already has!  Got to get some good ideas for the one I want to build ;D

Thank You Sponsors!