iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Late for the pig roast

Started by Jeff, November 09, 2005, 07:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well, he was only a little late, about 3 months and he had to settle for going down to ponderosa for a steak but Paschale finally made it!  :)   Dan and Tammy and I had a great visit. We went for supper then Dan came back and spent the evening with us investigating "behind the scenes" of the forestry forum. :)  We got to show off our shed, and we even grabbed a flashlight and wandered out to the sawmill. Dan is getting anxious to get his going. I think if he comes up a day and gets some sawdust on him that will be all it would take.

Dan, we really enjoyed the evening and can't wait until you get a chance to come again!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Naw, not 3 months late. He's 9 months early.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OneWithWood

The early bird gets the worm.  The rest of us eat pig  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

So that's Paschale, and it looks like maybe 3:05 am? 
Hmmm? no cops show up when the mill was running?   :D  or was the 'mill runner' asleep at that wee hour? 

Glad you could have a good visit with da Boss.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I wondered who would mention the clock. :D  Thats the clock we use outside by the pool in the summer. It was 3:05 when the battery failed...

Tom

What  a bunch of smiles.   It's apparant that cabin fever hasn't set in yet. :D

I'll bet y'all did a lot of planning for the upcoming event too.   :)

chet

I didn't notice it as bein' too unusual. Since da time change it seems it is already gettin' dark at 3:00 PM.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Paschale

yeah, I finally rolled in...just a little late.   ;)  But I like Chet's way of thinking--I just beat you all to the next one!

It was great seeing Jeff and Tammy.  It was a lot of fun seeing the Forestry Forum "Op Center" up close and in person.  I even saw how Jeff works his magic with messing around with that Southern breakfast staple, and changes the words around.  If y'all noticed you were reading "Chicken Feed" instead of grits last night...well, I asked Jeff how that was done.   ;) We talked a lot about the behind the scenes stuff that the admins do--they're doing a lot of stuff on a daily basis that I had no idea about that helps keep the forum running smoothly.  I even got a peak inside the woodshed!   :D 

Speaking of sheds...of course I had to go outside and check out the shed.  That puppy's built solid, and they sure did a really nice job.  I can see that thing sitting there with a woodstove in the near future!  After looking at the shed, well, I just had to go take a look at the WMer sitting back there.  It definitely lit the fire more for me to get mine running--I gotta clear some time in a way too busy schedule to get mine up and running.   ::)  Oh, and I saw a lot of cool stuff in Jeff's collectiong of logging memorabilia, as well as some of Tammy's school bus collection.  Jeff showed me the painting's he's planning on auctioning off too--very cool.   8)  All of you dog lovers will enjoy that one!   

I also got to see some of their pictures from their southern tour, where they saw Bro. Noble and Arky.  Some fun pictures, especially the cave hiking pictures from Bro. Noble's property, as well as the "bridges" in the hollows, that really are just paved sections actually running through the creeks.   ;D

Anyway, it was tons of fun, and I guess, all I can say is better late than never!  Thanks again guys!  Furby and I will have to take a roadtrip some time when you're making sawdust and lend a hand!   

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Count me in Paschale!
Sure am glad ya finally made it up there! ;)

chet

We saved ya some pig, but it was probably just a little cold by now.  :D

Paschale

:D :D :D  Speaking of CHICKEN FEED...Jeff's working his magic right now with G R I T S... ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

If I went to Ponderosa with you all I would have said when we walked in " excuse me but we are with the assistant principal of the grand rapids symphony orchestra and we would like a non smoking table right now"  ;D   Good day you had Paschale .  Shed? ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Paschale

Well, Uncle Buck...I wish life was as easy as that!   :D  We did have a great time, and let me tell you, I'm not sure what Ponderosa's profit margin was like after Jeff and I got through with that buffet.   :D

Oh, and that sweatshirt I'm wearing on there...well, that's a sweatshirt straight from the Forestry Forum store.   8)  It's  nice and thick, and looks really good, if you ask me.  A different model mighta done it better justice though...   ;D

CHARLIE

Quote from: Paschale on November 09, 2005, 11:12:13 PM
  Some fun pictures, especially the cave hiking pictures from Bro. Noble's property, as well as the "bridges" in the hollows, that really are just paved sections actually running through the creeks. 

When I first moved to Minnesota, there was a "bridge" like that just off the Panhandle road out of Stewartville. It was the first time I'd ever seen a paved road running through a river (Root River).  Up here they call them Low Water Bridges.  Before, I always thought when you had to go through the water it was called a ford. Live and learn. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

Fords ain't paved-------there's some of them down in the south part of Ozark co. where they are a little backwark ::) 

We call them 'low water crossings'  or 'slabs' :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Brush Creek, just beyond Noble's milk barn.

beenthere

Quote from: CHARLIE on November 11, 2005, 11:51:00 AM
When I first moved to Minnesota, there was a "bridge" like that just off the Panhandle road out of Stewartville. It was the first time I'd ever seen a paved road running through a river (Root River).  Up here they call them Low Water Bridges.  Before, I always thought when you had to go through the water it was called a ford. Live and learn. ;D

Charlie
You've been around those Norwegians too long, and its 'fiords', not 'fords'   Them's made in Dee 'troit. :D ;D

But I have heard of 'fording' a river or stream.
south central Wisconsin

Paschale

My first thought when I saw that picture:  let's just hope your tires don't make you hydroplane!   :o

Bro. Noble

Beenthere,

If you need to get to the other side of the crick,  you best ford it at the ford rather than the 'fiord' ;D

Jeff,

Looking at that picture reminded me of several events that have occured at that very spot that might be of interest.

Just above that slab is a little hole that our local hermit 'Freddie' comes to take his bath every spring and fall ;D  There's people that have moved to this area a few years ago that live within a mile of Freddie that have never seen him.

My brother married a girl from a remote village in the Phillipines.  When they first moved back,  he looked out the window and saw her down at the slab doing their laundry on a rock.

One time in the middle of the night a local drunk ran off that slab in a downpour.  He spun the valvestem off of a tire in the gravel.  I had to pull him out and change his tire.  For months,  every time he got drunk  (which was very frequent)  he would come by to thank me for helping him.

One of my favorites (although it wasn't so funny at the time)  was when some doped up city dude asked me to pull his car out.  He was completely off of the slab on the upstream side.  I asked him how he happened to get his car over there.  He replied that some low down, dirty,  so-and-so forced him off the road.  said he took up both lanes :D :D :D

Then there is the expression on the face of visitors when they hear a strange noise and look down and see a semi crossing the slab.   :o

Paschale,
It would impossible to get up enough speed to hydroplane on those roads,  plus there is a 90 degree turn at one end of the slab.  Id does get covered with a slimy moss that makes it impossible to walk on and I've always been surprised that high water has never washed a car off of it sideways.  One local guy takes his fanbelt off and puts a plastic bag over his distributer and crosses it when water is over his tires ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

Well glad you made it in time.  ;D

Well atleast in MO they pave them low water crossings, down here they do not matter most of the time.  Shoot they will not even build a bridge so we rides a ferry.   If you carry plenty of weight you do not have to worry about that hydroplaneing across the creek but I will tell you one thing the brakes does not work good for a spell.  :o  Not many sissy cars around here.

ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!