iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Pine

Started by thiggy, November 08, 2005, 11:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiggy

I am reading the term 'red pine' frequently.  As a newcomer to this forum I am not familiar with this variety.  Is there another term that this type of pine may be called?  I can think of white, southern yellow, loblolly, long leaf, Austrailian, but not red pine.  Is this a regional term?
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Corley5

Some people call it Norway Pine.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thiggy

Ah, yes.  Thanks, that I have heard of. 
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Gary_C

The northern pulp mills generally buy "Red Pine" which can include Norway Pine, Jack Pine, and Scotch Pine. They usually will allow small amounts of Spruce and White Pine but prefer separate loads for those two species.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

moosehunter

I have about a thousand of them in a pile....... I'll give em to ya! Freee!!!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sprucebunny

What is red pine good for...besides pulp ? Wasn't someone using it for siding ? Jeff, maybe ....

Would it make good logs for a cabin ? And moosehunter, how big are the ones you have ??? ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

The whole shed, other then a few white pine 2 by 4s and a little cedar trim was built from Red Pine. Including the siding.

They build a ton of log homes with red pine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

That's what I thought, Jeff ;D

Does it have any bad habits like twisting or excess checking ???

moosehunter, I might be able to help you out with those logs ;D

Corley5

Bigger red pine makes better lumber.  Material from smaller trees is more apt to warp and twist.  That's been our experience anyway.  Makes good barn siding 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Around here, most of the homes were built with Red Pine... before the days of plywood.
After some help from StumpJumper with the ID, I now belive the original posts and beams in my house are indeed Red Pine.
I know the log joists are.

Minnesota_boy

Our red pine are the premier tree here for making lumber.  They are much more likely to yield clear lumber than white pine if they are large and have grown in a grove where competetion was a driving factor.  They shed their lower limbs when quite young and if allowed to grow, cover the old stobs quickly.  Depending on the tree, they can be pure joy to saw or a nightmare, as the upper sticks have such large limbs that are very difficult to saw without making wavey lumber.  This is offset by the clear lumber or very small knots in the butt section.  Sometimes the tree may have no limbs at all showing for the first 30 to 50 feet.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mike_Barcaskey

Red Pine is Pinus resinosa Ait.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/commontr/redpine.htm

it should not be used as a colloquialism
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

farmerdoug

Red pine is the most commonly planted tree on the clearcut timberlands in the upper of Michigan that I have seen so far. 

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Don P

Its also our only native member of the hard pines (sylvestris?)  The rest of its family is european I think. Scotch pine is another member of that group if I remember right.

isawlogs

It is also used as tongue and grove flooring . I have cut alot that have been debarked trimed and teated to become telephone or hydro poles .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Excellent shed Jeff B !   I built a log cabin with big red pine logs and one with white pine . The white pine had about 10 times as many knots which hurts when peeling with draw knife but any log will make a cabin log if you can get a roof over it in about a year except those logs with a left hand twist to them . They can sometimes lift a whole log wall no matter if its on the bottom round .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

moosehunter

Sprucebunny,
The logs in my pile are 8 inch and smaller. The bigger logs I saw and use for lumber. The biggest problem I have is that our land was never thined. So I have twenty acres of 60 foot trees that are about 8 inches dbh.
The pile I have is from thinning and clearing our house lot.
I built a log dog house this summer from some smaller logs ( inspired by an uncle Buck post), I will try to post a pic of it.
mh

moosehunter

A pic of the Red Pine dog house, "Duplex Model"

My lovely bride calls it the " Loggy Dog House". Say's I ought to make more and sell them :D
Any orders? I figure I'd have to charge about $900. to cover the materials and labor :o
mh

SwampDonkey

We've planted thousands of acres of red pine on abandoned fields. It grows well on old fields. It's used almost exclusively for telephone poles here. There are some markets for it's pulp, but it's up and down. My folks have a red pine kitchen pedastal table about 40 inches wide, 1-1/2" thick built from local pine in Plaster Rock. We don't have many wild stands left. There is one place called the Stewart Plains that has natural red pine, it's a protected area along the Wapske River up on the Tobique watershed.

History of Stewart Plain This page is about the Orsers in NB, but the story begins in the 4th paragraph of chapter 8. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

7 years ago i took about 50 trees out of this red pine stand to use for cabin logs. i have since bought a mill and have milled all the logs, using them everywhere from the barns to the house. knots are very hard. this stand was planted late 60's early 70's. marcel, tounge and groove SUB flooring?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

sprucebunny

Great dog house, moosehunter ;D Yah, I figured you would saw up the good ones  8)

Thank You Sponsors!