iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In Honor of the out-house

Started by Jeff, December 23, 2002, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Since ole Don Staples "poo-pooed" my idea of having a thread with pictures of out-houses, the thread is in honor of him too.

Out-houses are a great part of almost any family history. always a story about them.

This First Picture is the original outhouse for what we call the "Old Farm" the house my Grampa Brokaw built in 1900 and where all his children were born. He built this out-house in that first year. 1900. It finally succombed last year. We propped it and did what we could for a decade or so but its time finally arrived. I miss seeing it when I drive in the yard.

This picture is of the lates outhouse built in 2001, 101 years after grampa's.  This was taken this summer as my cousin Marlena was married in the Old Farm yard between a white pine and a jack pine. This was the 3rd wedding at the old place in 102 years. My Grampa and Gramma Brokaw were married there, My aunt Lena and Uncle Elmer.
Lena was the oldest daughter, And now Marlena and Ben. Marlena would have been my Grampa Brokaw's great great granddaughter.

Its not everyday that we have something special enough to doo-dad up the outhouse. Maybe 3 times in a century. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Doesn't that plywood make for a pretty tight enclosure?  ??? :-[

Jeff

The peaks are vented with harware cloth. look just above the door.

Frank_Pender

Where is the Cresent Moon? :'(  It is sure dolled up, Jeff.  I like the original, better.  It seems to have a bit more class and nostalga, with a nice weather petina. ;D  And the smell of the old decaying wood.  There is just something about it that shouts class, as compared to OSB construction. ;)
Frank Pender

Jeff

There is another outhouse still in use just to the left of the new one. it has been almost totally engulfed by the monster Lilac bush. It was built about 1972.  The new one don't suit me either. My cousins built it to suit the women. It has a regular looking stool in it :-/  If I have to use a privy I actually fight my way into the one in the lilacs that is still shared by a sears catalog and a large family of mice. Otherwise I just walk behind the Lilacs. ;D

Linda

In 1994 ElectricAl and our oldest son built this outhouse out of White Oak. It was intended as a joke, because I had asked for a new house built with lumber off our WM.

It has been moved several times, but has found a spot next to my Heatmor Outdoor Wood burner.  The original pitched roof and door were damaged in an 80 mph straightline wind. The flat top roof was a quick fix.

It was our only "restroom" for 4 years.  Which I was glad to have, since it's a bit of a challenge for me to stand behind the lilacs (especially since the only thing we had on the property that resembled a bush or tree was piles of logs).

ElectricAl wanted to get rid of my precious palace when we dug our well, but I couldn't bear to part with it. He doesn't like to share his bathroom with "strangers", so I won the battle.  We use it occasionally, but it is mostly used as a customer facility.  I'm sure that it's not what some would call a facility, but when the call arises most aren't picky.  

Believe it or not we do have some people that refuse to use my palace.  I can't understand why.  Maybe it's because it doesn't have a door. ;D :o

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,
I dont have a picture, DanG it, but the best out-house Ive had the pleasure of utilizing, was out the back of a small hand cut/built A-frame house, situated in a small inlet, in Clayquot Sound in Canada.  The view alone was worth $1,000,000.
Only thing was, you had to take one of those aerosol air-horny claxon thingys with you to scare off any inquisitive bears that may wander by!! :o :o :o
Outhouses definitely deserve a hall of fame.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Don P

You all might remember a short piece a couple of years ago about a fellow who fell into his outhouse and was there for 2 days before the mailman missed him and went looking. It was a humerous piece of writing but the story was anything but. The old gent, an accomplished local fiddler, fell through the floorboards and was trapped, scratched up, infected, dehydrated and hoarse from yelling for help when he was found, it laid him up for quite a time. One of the neighbors built onto his house an indoor bathroom.

Our town has an outhouse race every July 4th down main street. The privys are outfit with tricycle running gear and the team consist of two pushers and one setter who must all switch off during the race. The local Chevy dealership has taken the trophy the past several years with a set up that looks like it came out of a NASCAR frame shop.

Our privy is still below the house in the woods, Mom didn't like the lack of door but the view is beautiful of the Nat'l Forest a few miles away. We have had guests "hold it" for an entire weekend rather than visit the little shack out back :o. We came to the conclusion that they aren't so bad...no matter the weather you took the "little walk out back" and found out it was a tolerable day out there after all, at least if I had outwaited my designated seat warmer ;D. All manner of wildlife happened by, not a bad start to the day. We had a trash can filled with ashes or lime just outside with a scoop in it, there was a little piece of poetry written on the wall inside. "If you tinkle add a sprinkle, if you poop add a scoop".
 Our neighbors "little house" got moved down to their garden plot for a toolshed.

Ron Scott

The Newhouse "Outhouse". This outhouse serves the Cay Newhouse hunting camp. Sawtimber was recently harvested around the outhouse and camp area. Newhouse Hardwood Sale; December 2002.

~Ron

DanG

Looks like a serious piece of equipment, Ron. Must get a lot of use, too. It has defoliated every tree you can see in the whole DanG picture. :o :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin_H.

Written by Kiwi Charlie

QuoteOnly thing was, you had to take one of those aerosol air-horny claxon thingys with you to scare off any inquisitive bears that may wander by!!    

Does this answer the age old question.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

johnjbc

This is the outhouse at my camp. It started life as a shower stall. It was converted into an outhouse by Harry Taylor the gentlemen we bought our previous house from in 1979. When we moved I brought it along and it has been setting out in my field sense 1984.
When we bought ground for our camp I built an new door and set it up out there.
Only problem has been with wasps. Ask Kathy what happens when you uncover sensitive parts around them. :D  :D

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Linda

My grandparents old outhouse always had wasps and even a nest of bumblebees in it. :o  I don't think anyone ever got stung, but we didn't hang around any longer than we had to either!

I figured we would have wasps in our outhouse, but they never make nests in it.  I think it is because of the tarp we hung all around the inside for water resistance.  I suppose it scares the "crap" out of the wasps, so they don't care to use my facility.  8)

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Don P

I remember reading somewhere the highest frequency of black widow bites is in the "little house on the prairie"...to males ...yeeeooow :o

L. Wakefield

well ya, makes sense I guess, since black widows have a tradition of getting their own males by the #####  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Weekend_Sawyer

I was watching "Escanaba In Da Moonlight" the other day with The Lovley Miss. When they had a scene about their 2 holer outhouse I burst out laughing. I had to explain that you just don't have a 2 holer. Well I was relating this to the guys at deer camp this year when an old guy spoke up and told me that he most certainly did have a 2 holer when he was growing up, he said it put a whole new meaning to the phrase "goin together"

I still don't know who is pullin whose leg.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

chet

2-holer u-becha,   ;)  I guess you could say they were the early version of the modern day 2'nd bath.      8) 8) 8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Texas Ranger

Ours was a two holer.  Never really understood it, cause no one ever had company on their visits out back.  But, there was a design difference in the two holes, accomodating those with greater or lesser anatomy.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

There was a two-holer in regular use at my grandparent's place, when I was a kid. As far as I could tell, the only use for the 2nd hole, was to let the chickens out. :o :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

That does NOT make me want to eat more chicken! :-/
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

I was about 16 when we got indoor plumbing.  The outhouse was still used for a number of years for "overflow" and anytime we were outside anyway.

Mary's brother moved from Illinois down to a little spot of ground near us about 20 years ago.  For awhile he didn't have utilities.  He built a privacy shelter with two walls and a slab roof.  Had a smooth pole about 4" in diameter that ran across the back corner for "customer support" - if you get my drift.  Another feature was that it was built over a sinkhole near a rock outcropping - making a natural disposal place. He told about going out to use the facility one morning to find a possum grinnin' back up at him from the bottom of the sinkhole.  ;D

Linda, I'm going to have to build Mary an outhouse near the mill or maybe plant her some lilacs. ;)  We've planed to build a new building that would include an office area with small bath for some time and have yet to get started on it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

It used to be a fairly common practice here to build an outhouse without a pit,  but instead having an opening in the back----down below the seat.  It was easier to build and handier for the critters.  One drawback was the alarm that an overanxious chicken could bestow on an unexpecting guest. :o
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ADfields

Norm

When I was 7 years old we moved to a farm that had the 2 hole outhouse on it, the reason for two holes wasn't companionship. One was smaller so us kids didn't fall in. Ours had a nest of bumble bees that showed up suddenly in the middle of summer. My older sister went in and came screaming out without pulling up her pants tripped and fell and then crawled as fast as I've seen other people run. It was hilarious, at least the rest of us kids thought so. She still gets red in the face when we kid her about it.

Bibbyman

The sawshed is about 75-100 yards from the "comforts" of home.  Not bad for me and the sons when they help,  but a bit inconvenient for Mary – especially in cold weather.  

We'd been thinking we were going to add a new building and would include a small office area and 1/2 bath.  But life has a way of postponing plans.  Seen the building plan postponed for awhile,  we decided to look for a small travel camper.  The local mega-camper sales place wasn't long in getting one in.  Mary had stopped by and looked at it and then she drug me over to see it.

It's a little bigger at 24' and in better shape than what I was expecting to find for what we wanted to spend.  But the price was close enough to take it and not spend months looking for something cheaper.  Everything works except the freezer part of the refrigerator.  In fact,  the previous owners had replaced the unit with a 110v apartment size unit by pulling the door off the old one and setting the new one in it's place.  Works better for us.

Anyway,  we got it delivered late last week and set in place Saturday.  Son Gabe and I ran a 30-amp 110v service to it and got it leveled and blocked up.   Frozen ground will slow us down from connecting the water and sewer drain. So Mary will have to hold it a little longer. >:(

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!