iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini Sawmill?

Started by logger, November 06, 2005, 09:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger

I do in the future want to get a LT70 for milling.  But for right now I want to make some sort of a mini sawmill.  I just think it would look neat in operation.  Hey sawmiller, I know what you mean. ;D :) :D 8) :o
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Furby

LT10 is pretty DanG small..... just a thought.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: SAW MILLER on November 08, 2005, 10:30:16 PM
I wonder if anyone ever tried a 12 step program to try quitin sawmilling? ???

Gee, I do about 14000 steps a day and I'm not ready to quit yet.  :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

I would like a mini mill about this size.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

alha

Wow, I didn't think that my suggestion was _that_ bad... Not even a comment?  :-\  :-[  Well, I'll try harder next time to add some value to the conversation.  Also, I think I'll repost the 1st part of my comment in a new message on the main forum, to say a proper Hello! everyone.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

Alha, don't feel left out when your post doesn't get a response. It happens all the time. Just rest assured, everything that is posted gets read.

There is so much stuff posted in all the categories on this site, that if you don't read fast, you miss things. Then, you never catch up  ::) ;D :D

If there was a way to track hits on that link you posted, I would bet it was well used.  That's just the way things work around here.  Sometimes, FOOD posts get the most action, even though this IS a Forestry related site.

Welcome and just keep typin away.  ;) :) :) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Brad_S.

alha,
What FDH said. ;D
There are post here that get feedback months later! Don't feel put out if you don't hear back quickly, or even at all. All input is read and appreciated.
QuoteWell, I'll try harder next time to add some value to the conversation.
Don't feel you have to add value to a conversation to join in. If we all felt that way, this would be an awfully quiet place. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

twoodward15

Hopefully this mini mill will come out soon.  Weren't they (the sponsor) looking for a local woodworker to demo it for a year?  I'd like a mini mill that would cut something about as long as 6 foot max and 12 inch diameter.  It'd be perfect for the basic woodworking hobbyist (me), but the only problem with that is keeping the price down to a point where it would be affordable (under $1000).  It sure would be nice though.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Jeff

The guy spouting the mini-mill was NOT a sponsor. I repeat NOT a sponsor.

Ianab

Quote from: Jeff B on November 09, 2005, 01:33:35 PM
The guy spouting the mini-mill was NOT a sponsor. I repeat NOT a sponsor.

I believe there are 2 mini-mills being developed, one IS from a sponsor. But people keep ordering new full sized mill from them so it's kinda on the back burner  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

OK Ian, tell me about the sponsor mill and leave out the other... ;D

Ianab

I think it's still in Jakes top secret laboratory  smiley_curtain_peek
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

iain

Whatyah cutting 5" logs for?
i use the band saw for small stuff,  if you pay attention to what you are doing, and the end result from your actions, you can cut very,very good boards with a small band saw and steering post, and pay good money for good blades

iain

Poleframer

Hey Logger, you might come up with some variation of my mill thats a variation on the Procut mill. I put the pole or log on sawhorses with V-notched plywood pieces to hold it where I want, and use BCI joists as rails to run my chainsaw carridge.Put it together for less than $150.

PHOTO(s) REMOVED. PLEASE USE FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

Link to reason we must do this.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15143.0

Link to photo posting tutorial
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12416.0
Russell

sawguy21

Like Tom and Ianlab, I am very leery of using a modded table saw for this purpose. With the blade turnig toward the operator, the log could climb the blade and nail ya right between the horns. I took a piece of 1x4 in the gut because the blade was not high enough which was my own fault. A heavy apron saved me from more than shortness of breath and a good bruise.
I like Jeff"s idea of a mini mill :D. Run with the big dogs or stay under the porch. Sure would be a chore sharpening and setting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Well I used a table saw for cutting logs A LOT.... before I knew better. Did it until I blew the motor up.
I had less fear of the piece flying back at me because I stood along side the saw.
My big fear was loosing a finger or two, or even a hand. I had a few very close calls, and I sure wouldn't go back to doing it that way, it's just not worth it!
Lots of folks do indeed use those 36" up right bandsaws with a sled an they do fine.
My atempt at using a 12" band saw failed due to the fact the blade was too small and I couldn't get one with enough set for cutting green wood.

Thank You Sponsors!