iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twister

Started by Faron, November 06, 2005, 11:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Last night a twister or series of tornados hit southwestern Indiana.  So far the death toll is twelve in the Evansville area,  and at least five in Warrick county.  I expect more dead will be found.   A trailer park southeast of Evansville has been hard hit, with a hundred or more trailers destroyed. So far all the fatalities from Evansville have been from this park.  The park lies near I 164, and a big pond or lake from construction of the Interstate borders the park.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the trailers are not in that lake.  I saw some video from early in the search at the trailer park.  A young Knight  Township  firefighter was the only firefighter on scene at the time.  He was obviously organizing civilians to rescue injured people.  His calm and confidence under fire impressed me as a former fire chief.  This kid had obviously paid attention during his Incident Command System training.  I  have stayed home from church this morning and put my name on a list to assist with chainsaws.  I am 45 miles or so away, and may not even be called, but I have things ready if it happens.  It seems to me the residents and officials aren't standing around waiting for someone to come help them, but are rolling up their sleeves and getting after it. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Tom

That's bad.  Natural disasters take a lot of lives.  Tornados seem to be so indiscriminate and sudden too.  It's like no one can really be prepared. 

I hope it turns out to be not so bad as it originally looks, though one  life is too many.

Kirk_Allen

We had 60 mph winds last night that took every leaf off of every tree.  Woke up this morning and it apeared as if the world changed overnight. 

Last report on the news was 15 dead in IN and KY.  Prayers are with all the folks in that area. 

Part_Timer

faron

We got hit last night about 3:00am.  the winds were strong enough that it pulled 2" screws out of the metal roof on the deck and knocked the satalite dish out of wack.  I've spent the morning trying to screw the roof back down.

While 12 is to many I hope that is all.  the bad part about tornados is the lack of warning.  At least with a hurricane you have a chance to get out if ya want.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Bro. Noble

Faron and Kirk,

That storm came through here last night about 8:30.  A tornado hit near my daughter's place and although it didn't do them any damage except for a few trees,  a couple of their neighbors were pretty well wiped out.   We had company and they had to find alternate routes home because of trees across the highway.

Faron,  my brother used to live at Princton so I've been to your neighborhood a few times.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguy21

Are twisters common in your area this late in the year? We had a large one here in July 87 and I don't ever want to see that again.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Faron

This thing was moving at better than 50 mph.  I doubt those people in the trailer court had any warning at all, at the time of night it hit.  One woman was coming home from work about the time it hit.  She met her husband and kids coming at her. About the time she saw them, the wind picked up their car and slammed it into a tree.  She got them out of the car ind into hers, and got under a nearby underpass, which by the way, is NOT a good place to be, popular though that notion might be.  They were somehow unhurt.  A father, child and pregnant mother were killed in Warrick Co.  One of my daughters and her husband left Evansville's riverfront about a half hour before the storm hit.  We were watching their kids, and I chewed them out for being out so  late. ;)  They really took it to heart, and I know won't do it again. :D :D

Noble, Yep, Princeton is pretty close.  My SIL works there for Toyota.

Sawguy, They are not common this time of year, but certainly not unheard of.  Several years ago a really mean one wiped out Allendale, IL about the 7th of January.  That one killed no one, but destroyed the town, If I remember correctly.  My FD responded to that one, and I saw a large two story house that had been picked up, rotated 180 degrees, and set back down. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Fla._Deadheader

Don't we have a member from Henderson, Ky ?? Tornadoes are bad. Hope things are not as bad as they sound??

Chisel, I think...
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Part_Timer

We went for a drive shortly after my last post and man I didn't expect to see what we found.  There is a newpole barn wrapped up in a ball down the road.  A small pickup was rolled over and their barn was rolled.  My friends brother lost 6 big hackberries and along the river there were about a dozen down. The neighbor across the street lost their barn and yard trees.
We spent the afternoon chainsawing at Joe's trying to get his trees cut up.  It was a sight to see. 
Bteween Joes and the neighbor across the strees there were about 2 dozen neighbors showed up to help out.  All the tin was collected out of the fields and the barn debris was collected and put back inside.  There were about 9 chainsaws running at both places and everything was cut when we called it a day for dinner.  Across the road was cut and limbs stacked and most of the wood was already split and stacked for them.
   The best part was that some of those who showed up were from 5 or 6 miles away and came down to help drag brush. If everyone had neighbors like that the world would be a better placce for sure.

Maybe there is hope after all
Peterson 8" ATS.

Faron

Part timer, Straight line winds, you think?  It was pretty windy for a bit here, but no damage that I could find.  It's priceless to have good neighbors.

Death toll is now up to 22 with more expected.  I think that makes it the highest Hoosier death toll since the 1925 three state massive tornado.  Rescuers found an eight year old child this afternoon in a ditch covered by debris.  Likely hundreds of rescuers had walked past this child and didn't know he was there.  That prompted rescuers to rewalk some areas and turn over anything that might be hiding a small child.  It looks like debris from the trailers is piled 15 feet high or more in some places.  They have moved some cranes in to help move bigger pieces.

Part_Timer

Faron

I'd say yep.  I've cut twister trees before and these weren't like that.  just uprooted and blown flat over.  No twisted fibers no tops pulled out no limbs scattered.    you can look out across the mile and see the direction they came from.  The weatherman called it a micro burst?  what ever that is? 

good neighbors that's why we live here.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Faron

I've seen microburst damage before.  It is almost as awe inspiring as a twister.  One associated with a twister about 3/4 mile from our farm took down a bunch of trees on the downwind side of a big hill once.  Pulled out rootwads 7 feet deep.

Part_Timer

Kate grabbed a few pictures that I will post tomorrow.  I want to get permission from the people first.  I know they won't care but I still need to ask.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Modat22

We saw the lightning and thunder in Irvington KY but had none of its power and very little rain. I didn't hear about the tornado till Sunday.

remember man that thy are dust.

GF

Living in the center of Oklahoma I get to see my share of these.  I hope everything works out for the people it has effected.  I am a firm believer in the weather radios that can be activated by the National Weather Service.  Often times they go off in the middle of the night alerting you of an approaching storm and other information about weather.  They are not 100% reliable by any advanced warning definitly helps.

When the F5 went through Norman several years ago and leveled everything is its path if makes you very aware of the power of nature.  Luckily in that storm the twister lifted about 5 miles from us, we seen alot of debris falling from the sky while setting in the yard as it went over. 

flip

I've got a few trees down from it, guess what I'll be doing this week ;D

Here's a story about the storm...

My ex- wife has a cousin that lives just a few blocks from where the tornado hit she was about 8 months pregnant.  From what I gather the air pressure was so great that several ladies that were farther along were literally popping, their water was breaking.  She was taken to St. Mary's hospital where she gave birth to a girl.  Interesting stuff huh.

Story #2...My uncles father-in-law has a few race horses that stay at church hill downs.  A week ago one of the horses was retired to my uncle's farm.  Guess which barn was obliterated at the downs?  You guessed it, the one the horse was retired from.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Furby

Quote from: flip on November 07, 2005, 10:46:25 AM
My ex- wife has a cousin that lives just a few blocks from where the tornado hit she was about 8 months pregnant. From what I gather the air pressure was so great that several ladies that were farther along were literally popping, their water was breaking. She was taken to St. Mary's hospital where she gave birth to a girl. Interesting stuff huh.
That would be a myth!
Air pressure DROPS before and during a tornado!
Most likely the women simply freaked and the extra stress casued their waters to break. It happens during most "disasters".

flip

Too coencidental.  She was sleeping when it hit-her water broke before it actually hit the ground, or so I was told.  The Dr. at the hospital was the one that told her this ???  I'm open for comments but there were too many in one area to be stressed induced.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Furby

That's my point!
It's a fact, every time there is a "Disaster"...... could be as simple as a blackout, the number of women who go into labor skyrockets!
Do a google.
A vortex is a vacuume, there fore LOWER pressure! Now he could have meant the LOWER pressure caused the waters to break, but the pressure isn't that low.
Doctors have a hard enough time figuring out what's wrong with a patient, now they are experts on tornados as well ???
I'm not asking you to belive me, I'm asking you to look for yourself. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How close to a tornado does the barometer drop? And how far does it drop ? It varies. A barometer can start dropping many hours or even days in advance of a tornado if there is low pressure on a broad scale moving into the area. Strong pressure falls will often happen as the mesocyclone (parent circulation in the thunderstorm) moves overhead or nearby. The biggest drop will be in the tornado itself, of course. It is very hard to measure pressure in tornadoes since most weather instruments can't survive. A few low-lying, armored probes called "turtles" have been placed successfully in tornadoes. This includes one deployment on 15 May 2003 by engineer/storm chaser Tim Samaras, who recorded pressure fall of over 40 millibars through an unusually large tornado. On 24 June 2003, another of Tim's probes recorded a 100 millibar pressure plunge in a violent tornado near Manchester, SD. More information on that mission is online at NWS Sioux Falls. Despite those spectacyular results, and a few fortuitous passes over barometers through history, we still do not have a database of tornado pressures big enough to say much about average tornado pressures or other barometric characterstics.

Fla._Deadheader

Way more info than I ever wanted to know. ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Furby,

Don't go confusing us with science!
  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Furby

That's a bit funny coming from you Fred......... I have a hard time keeping up with some of your posts sometimes! :D :D :D

I just see this as a way myths start to become fact.
Somebody makes a claim and it sounds good to somebody as well as the fellow standing next to him.
They decide it must be true since so and so said it was and it makes sense to them.
Time goes on, it gets spread and the myth becomes closer and closer to fact, even when there is nothing to support it.
Look around, it happens all the time.

pigman

Quote from: Furby on November 07, 2005, 07:53:34 PM

Time goes on, it gets spread and the myth becomes closer and closer to fact, even when there is nothing to support it.

Now Furby , that is no myth. I know it is true because I read it on the Forestry Forum. ::)
The stories about things exploding in a tornado because of pressure is true. The low pressure in the center of the tornado is lower than the pressure in a tight building or other structure causing the internal pressure to explode the structure. :P
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Yup, but the word should be "can" as in: The stories about things exploding in a tornado because of pressure can be true.
Kinda like how incandescent light bulbs "explode" when dropped. They actually implode due to the fact that they contain a vacuume. Flourescent bulbs however can explode when dropped.
This woman wasn't "in" the tornado, and she would have to be one stretched ballon to be affected by the low air pressure, but it is possible! ;)
It's also totally possible she would have delivered even if no tornado went through.
I have yet to see anything that talks about a major increase in air pressure associated with a tornado.

Faron

I can't tell you anything about the science of the thing. But I can tell you from years of sad experience that if I had expectant sows outside and no room in the farrowing house, they were likely to deliver the night of a storm if they were at all close.  Maybe they became emotional, but I kind of doubt it.  It also seems a cow will be much more likely to deliver on a creek bank if the creek is flooded.

Rescuers found an 18th body when they began to drain the lake yesterday.  I heard this morning the now believe everyone is accounted for.

Thank You Sponsors!