iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak crotch logs

Started by Troy, November 06, 2005, 09:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Fla._Deadheader

Logs are nice enough, but, ya got some mighty cute help there.  ;) ;) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Troy

Yep, she's a cutie alright!  Daddy's little girl loves to do the things that I do.  Who could ask for more?  Probably pull my hair out when she is a teenager, but that is a ways down the road. 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

pigman

Good looking log and cute girl. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Faron

Troy, I can tell you from experience that day is a lot closer than you can ever imagine.  :'(  But the upside is they will one day start bringing their own little ones back to ya. 8)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Troy

Yep, time sure does seem to fly.  The past four years have zoomed by.  I try to make something fun out of every day with her, even on her "rotten little gir" days!

Here is another photo that I wanted to post earlier.  The full view of the largest log.  can't wait to see how it looks inside.

Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Dan_Shade

Howdy from across the Potomac!  Where you finding your big crotches, are they all from windfalls on your property?

I know a local arborist, I'm trying to work out the logistics of handling big crotches when he does a removal, part of the problem is getting that big stuff loaded on a trailer with minimal equipment.  I talked to him about the big crotches, if there turns out to be a good supply, and there's a local market, we may all be able to pool resources.

I went up to Marks to slab up some red oak a few months ago, it was a good time, but a real slabber is much faster than my chainsaw mill.  I think i'll fall to "backup" on Mark's list for that since you're close by!

If you and Mark get together to do some slabbing, let me know, I'd love to come help, BS, and try to keep out of the way.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Troy

Hey Dan,

I saw the slabs you cut with Mark.  They look great.  All of the logs I have found are from windfall on my land.  Most from the hurricane a couple years ago.  Just spent the day untangling more trees today and found a large white oak with two nice crotches.  I got them cut, but need to go back tomorrow after work and anchor seal the ends.  By the way, I work in Lexington Park!  We should have lunch one day.

Tell your aborist you will have a source for handeling those crotch logs soon and to hang on to them.  I look forward to helping you tackle some to big for your Alaskan.  You are welcome to come across the big creek and help me get started on my log pile when my mill comes in!  When I start working on those big slabs I'll need all the help I can get!  I might have to try out the clip on slabber first.  I was just looking on line for a sharpener for the rip chain.   Got any advice for me?  I will have two chains so one will be a sharp spare if we get dull or heaven forbid, hit something!  Can't imagine how long it will take to touch up one of those long chains...

Troy
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Dan_Shade

you work over here?

wow, that's a hike to drive, I looked to see where oak grove was at, my commute is 10 minutes :)

sure, we could probably do lunch or something one of these days, I work in St. Inigoes, and sometimes it's tough to get away, but I can arrange to get out if I want to.

what size chain is in those things?  I'm assuming it's like a .404 chain or something like that, is it skip tooth?  Mark has a grinder and grinds chains for people, I believe.  I picked up a lower grade model than Mark's, his has the automatic clamp.  mine is a regular Oregon 511A, we can work something out on your chains if you'd like, whatever is most convenient for you.  I also picked up a spinner recently, so I can make chains from rolls too.

I saw a post on the yahoo milling group about only using the chain until the teeth were half gone on a slabber, because if you break a chain, it can be a real problem getting the whole thing apart, you may want to look into that.

I'd want way more than 2 chains if I were going after any serious production!

You happened into a good place here.  Seems we're getting quite a local network setup too, which is great!

The real problem with the big crotches is moving them in one peice.  I have a car trailer and a winch, I made a big arch that should straddle a 36" log and will roll up the ramps of my trailer.  I need to make a roller on the back of the trailer to keep from banging it up too bad.  the logistics problems are getting him to call me, me being able to get there in a timely manner, and then being able to move it in a timely manner.  I prefer to haul away logs and mill them at home, for two reasons: the mess, and people not wanting to part with the wood after you mill it.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Troy

Dan,

I work at Pax River.  About 60 miles one way.  Been doing it for about 13 years, this last gas hike almost did me in!  Glad it's coming down some now.

Not sure about the specs on the chain from Peterson.  I do know that an extra chain cost me $122.  Once I see some "serious production" then I'll buy more chains!  Once I get the particulars on the chain you can do some research as to what a roll of chain costs and what you would charge to make them for me.  I need to start another post to get some feedback from other Peterson slabber users.

I'd like to check out your log arch and trailer setup.  When you do get the call and need a helping hand just give me a call. 

If you are working a St. Inigoes, I will assume you are on NMCI.  I'll look you up on the global and give you a shout tomorrow.

Troy

Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Dan_Shade

yeah, i'm in there, might take me a while to get back to you, I'm looking at a pretty hectic day today.

I don't know anything about the specifics of a chain for a slabber, but I'm guessing it's similar to a regular rip chain, the only thing that would cause you problems in getting them is if it's a proprietary chain with wierd sizes.  I've made rip chains from regular chain before by changing the grinding angles, it just takes a little time.

How long is the bar on that thing?

Thank You Sponsors!