iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member On Deck

Started by 3584ELK, November 05, 2005, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3584ELK

Howdy everyone!

I am a country boy by birth, owned my own firewood business at age 16, and was a faller at 18.  I went on to a career in aviation.  However, I am back to cutting firewood for home use, and now own a Stihl 310 MS.  I have owned a Stihl 031, 045, 056 Super (my fav) and a an 041 Farm Boss (hated it).  I suppose I am here mostly to read about how things are done nowadays in the industry and pick up a few hints.  My family and I recently brought home a few pickup loads of 8-10" diameter poles. 

Tom

Welcome 3584ELK.

You can certainly pick up good info here and possibly learn something too.  It's not all work here though.  Sit back and peruse  5 years of posts.  It's relaxing and fun.  :)

Answer me this.

How come so many folks are putting all of thosenumbers on their userID's now.   I've seen some that are nothing but a long string of numbers.    I figure that might be a birth date or something else you feel worth noting but never did figure out  the need to use so many numbers.  It would confuse me.  :D

crtreedude

Perhaps they don't want to be known to be associating with the likes of us?  ::)

Welcome!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

Is that considered .....incognito? ;D

Paschale

Welcome!  You've landed on a fun place.  Here's a warning though:  if you want to get any work done ever again, then RUN FOR THE HILLS!   :D  This place tends to become a little addictive.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

Welcome 3584ELK
That 041 Farm Boss has been my most favorite saw. Bought in '75 and just keeps on runnin and runnin. I have a new MS361 and use it only because I feel I should use it with the anti-vibe and the safety brake. But for a running saw, and restarting it on idle when its already warm, it doesn't compare at all to the 041.  Never been a problem.  Guess they are not all the same.
5428975123751 signing out.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DonE911

Welcome to FF

Tom....  maybe all the good names are taken??   We have a lot of members now.    Can you believe someone already claimed " Tom "  ;D

I guess I shouldn't say a word...   I got some numbers too ::)

Sawyerfortyish

Tom

I would say so.   Brings to mind 35 to about 49.  :D  You might stretch it into the 50's a little but you'll have to smile when you say it.  :D

CHARLIE

Welcome Elk! That's a mighty big herd....over 3,000. Wow!  I suggest the best way to get started is to start reading the thread called "Funny Stories". It will give you a flavor of the Forum. We love to learn and have fun too.  I hope you like grits! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jon12345

Elk, you've come to a great place,  as a new member myself, I haven't posted a new topic yet that other members haven't responded to.  The guys (and ladies) here are great for sharing what they know.  Don't be afraid to add your 2 cents either looks like everyone here enjoys helping fellow members just as much as they like recieving advice and information.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

3584ELK

Answer me this.

How come so many folks are putting all of thosenumbers on their userID's now.   I've seen some that are nothing but a long string of numbers.    I figure that might be a birth date or something else you feel worth noting but never did figure out  the need to use so many numbers.  It would confuse me.  :D

The member ID has to do with hunting and shooting.  It is my favorite caliber for elk hunting, thus:  .358 4 (for) elk.  Yeah, I agree, it has to be something special to the user.  Additionally, I am signed up on all my other forums under this name and it is easier to remember one user id as opposed to several. 

Tom

Well that's a good reason.  I didn't associate the number with a caliber.  :)

crtreedude

That makes as much sense are crtreedude (I am in Costa Rica, I grow trees, and I am male).  :D

Tom

You had my head spinning when you showed up too.  It must be old age.   :D :D

Part_Timer

Welcome to the forum.

What type of rifle is that 358 in.

Tom maybe it's  not old age but one to many "refreshment" breaks under that shade tree this summer. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

Think I will have another "big orange".

I always pictured crtreedude as being dressed up like "Too Slim" on  "The Riders in the Sky".  :D

crtreedude

Yes, I suspect I was viewed with suspicion when I first arrived ... then again, has it really changed?  ::)

Tom

I don't know.   You gotta watch a fella real close when he's smart enough to talk two languages.  :D :P

crtreedude

Well, so much for you all trusting me - I know three languages. English, Spanish and I am fluent in Sign Language.

We won't talk about how many computer languages I know.

Tom

You're scaring me, Fred.  :D 

I'm kinda hoping some of that intelligence will rub off.  :P :)

crtreedude

It's okay, you noticed that I didn't say I did any of the languages very well...

As I tell people here, I speak Spanish just fine, it is just that people have problems understanding me.  :D

Tom

I know what you mean.  I worked real hard to learn New Jersey when I was in the Navy.    Had a shipmate  from there and we were always talking "at" each other.  There was usually someone in the Division that would interpret when they saw that we were having problems.    I worked at it real hard

The problem was that, when I tried to talk New Jersey,  I confused him and the interpreter too.  :D

crtreedude

Why do you think FDH is so hard to understand? He has lived in NJ, AR and Florida. It all gets mixed up in there and strange phrases comes out...  :D

Fla._Deadheader

Being from "TRUE" American stock, I've had to try to communicate in several languages, myself. European "English", "Joisey" Yankee, "Hillbilly", Arkansas, and a mixed bag in Florida. NOW, you give me a hard time tryin to sypher Espanol. Maybe this esplanes why it gets jumble up, at my age, EH ??  Oh yeah, that's Canadian.  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!