iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help...troubleshooting skidsteer problem

Started by ohsoloco, November 05, 2005, 04:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Well, I headed back home a little while ago to get some more logs milled and moved around.  Started the skidsteer (New Holland LX885) and a few seconds after it was running it just quit  :(  Got to poking around and found that the fuel pump fuse and the electronic ignition fuse were both blown.  Ran to the parts store for some new fuses (I knew it couldn't be this simple, they had to blow for a reason) and replaced them.  Started and ran for a couple seconds, then dies again.  This time it was only the elec. ignition fuse that blew.  Opened the fuse panel in the engine compartment...all good in there.  Replace fuse again, won't start...blown fuse again.  Well, third time's the charm.  Replaced the ignition fuse again and it started...then died  >:(

Any ideas of what to try?  I can't get in touch with the New Holland dealer until Monday.  What could be causing this fuse to blow?

I turned down all kinds of things for this weekend so I could get some of these logs milled.  It's either been raining, or something else has come up for a while now...just when I was making a little progress  :( 

ElectricAl

Ohsoloco,

I have seen key switches fail inside and blow the fuse, but it's pretty rare.

With a new fuse in place and you turn the key to "Run" you should hear the fuel pump kick on. Also, on some diesel engines there is a fuel soleniod that pops open.

Check the sound of the pump first. Just turn the key to run, but don't start it. If the pump runs for 1 minute it is not the problem.

Our JD has Auto Pre Heat that comes on automaticly when the key is switched to run.

Check that if you have that feature.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

beenthere

When I am blowing fuses, I stick in a light bulb rigged up to be put in the fuse's place. Then the light bulb will glow brightly, if there is a short.   It gives one a chance to find out what is causing the problem without having the frustration of 'blowing' another fuse.

I usually take a blown spade fuse and solder wire leads to each leg and the other ends to the two spots on the 12V bulb. For me, it works good. I finally traced down a short in a wire going across the headliner in a car once that I'd a spent a fortune if it'd been at the car dealer. Just kept moving wires and things until the light bulb finally 'went out' meaning there was no more short.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

My jd tractor did the same thing it turned out to be a bad fuel solenoid.

Now don't try this yourself but the way I troubleshot it was to put a higher rated fuse in, followed the blue smoke to the solenoid. :o

JimBuis

Norm,

In case you were wondering, you are not the first guy to rely upon the "smoke test". ;D  Sometimes it works, other times it is disastrous. :o

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

ohsoloco

I didn't get to poking around with the skidsteer today, a friend of mine came over with this son and we rode three wheelers and dirk bikes all afternoon...I needed a lazy Sunday anyway, last Sunday it was replacing brake lines in the truck.

Al, this model does have the auto preheat feature, just turn the key and if it needs to be heated it counts down for you.  I've never heard the fuel pump run when I turn the key, just a "clunking" kinda sound as soon as I turn the key.  I'll have to replace the fuse and poke around to see if I can hear it running.

A few months ago I had an error occur a couple times that shut the thing down, and if I remember correctly the error had something to do with the fuel solenoid, but I just turned the key off and it started right up again.  Where would I find the fuel solenoid on this thing, and how can I tell if it is bad? 

Beenthere, where exactly on the fuse do you solder the wire leads? 

It will be interesting to try and work on this thing, since I can't get it to run long enough to get the loader raised up  :(

ElectricAl

Ohsoloco,

Alright, more info ;D   "An Error"

I'd track down the fuel solenoid. With a helper put your fingers on the solenoid as the key is turned on. You should feel the valve pop open.

The solenoid is normaly closed until electric power is added, which energizes a megnet that pulls the valve open.

I'm not sure where the solenoid is on the NH.

Your NH is just like the old style JD with the four numbers.

You know why?

Because NH built the JD skidsteers for several years :D

JD builds all the Skidsteers them selfs now in Dubuque, Iowa.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ElectricAl

I went to NewHolland.com to see if there was a parts brake down.
No help there.

Went to JD's skidsteer site and pulled up a 5575 which is a little smaller than your LX885.

Anyway, the electric fuel pump is mounted on top of the fuel tank. The fuel Solenoid seems to be next to the engine injector pump.

This might be handy in the future.

Extremely long page distorting link fixed by kind admin

ohsoloco

Thanks  :)  I'll probably give the New Holland dealer a call tomorrow to see if they could give me some more info. about this.  I have one of those operator manuals.  Got to looking at the wiring diagram today  :o 

ohsoloco

Well, this past week I talked to the mechanic at the New Holland dealer.  He was trying to give me pointers on where to look for the short, and I quickly realized that I'd never find it myself  :-\  He came over later in the day (at least someone still makes housecalls  :D ) and got to poking around.  At first he thought it was the preheat, but that checked out okay.  Turns out it was the EIC (electronic intstrument cluster), and real cheap  ::)  He ordered the part and came over a few days later to put it in after programming the thing.  I was going to need one anyway, cuz he pointed out that some of the warning lights didn't work (like for the hydraulic oil temp).  Got that working, so it wasn't blowing fuses anymore, but then it would shut down after a few seconds and show an error for the fuel solenoid.  He had to replace that part, too  :(  He only charged me for one trip (even though he made three), but the bill came to $830  :'(  I was finally getting my checking account built back up to where I'd like it too.

Fla._Deadheader

If you own equipment, building up a supply is only a false sense of security. The mechanical gremlin knows when you have extra, and will push the button for a repair. There's no way around it.  ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pigman

I thought I made a little money hauling two loads of cattle for a friend to marked this week. 8) Thien I had to refill the fuel tank-$85. and replace two trailer tires I ruined -$200. Well I didn't loose much. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!