iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Maple Pictures NEW PICTURES ADDED

Started by Ga_Boy, November 04, 2005, 06:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

Here are some pictures of the BIG Maple I milled last weekend.

Enjoy!

This is a 54" dia Red Maple, 14 feet long with crotch that measured 72"

Here I am setting up my rails, this is just to give you a little perspective of the size of this beast.  I am 5' 9". 

This shot is me setting up the power head to take to top off this thing.

I'll get more pictures from the owner, he took a lot of pictures while I was milling.  I also milled 5 more logs from the same tree, produced a little over 4mbf of Ambrosia and Birds Eye Maple.   All was milled either 6/4 or 8/4.  I was able to pull some nice 20" wide 8/4.  The owner decide he wanted some mantles, so I also milled some 12/4, 10"  thick stock for him.

Nice fella to work for,his wife even made us lunch.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Kevin

That's a beauty!
How long did it take to set up the mill to make the first cut?

Part_Timer

holy smokes Mark.  that is one nice log.

Isn't it nice when the customers are good people it makes that kind of work fun.

Way to go even the boys in NZ would call that a big log
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ianab

QuoteWay to go even the boys in NZ would call that a big log

Yeah.. thats a respectable log  :D

No problem sawing it up with the right type of mill eh?  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

I rather liked the second picture.  It appears as if you were bowing in worship and touching the hem of the garment. ;D

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Kevin,

It took me about 50 minutes from when I opened the trailer doors to when I was milling.  The ground on the right had a steep slop.  My tracks kept settling, we were working on the edge of the owners newly installed drain field.  The contractor called in final grading, yea right  ::), if that was final grading then I got a few bridges for sale.

In a way it was nice to be on a spot that I could use the shovel to help set a level pad to set the track on, once I got past the rails settling in all wet well.

The only bad part was the waiting logs were staged so we had to roll them up the steep slop.  ::)
But we got them loaded and milled.

All in all a nice job of nice people.

Ianab,

You got that right, I was the only sawyer the owner called that said "yes, I can mill a log that big".

Swingers do make it easy.  I used the standard pattern and QS all that could be QS'd.

The owners were happy, some of the material will end up as floring in their house.

Mark

Troy

Mark,

Now that really makes you proud to be the owner of a 10" Peterson!  Look forward to seeing some pics of boards coming off that thing.  My ATS 8/27 is on order!  Should be here before Christmas - I hope...  Will let you know when she shows up.  Thanks for the instruction on your mill a few weeks ago.  I remember the guy calling about that big maple the day I was there working with you. 

Troy
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Ga_Boy

Troy,

Welcome aboard, you'll really like it here.

Mark

Norm

That is sure a nice log Mark, I'd have to drag out the chainsaw and spend a couple of hours just getting it ready for my mill. Logs like that just make me drool for a swinger with a slabber.  :)

Troy

So Mark, how did you price out that job?  4mbf, no matter how you slice it that must have been a good day! 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Ga_Boy

Troy,

Right now my rates are 25 cents/bf no matter how I cut it.  I perfer to cut QS, it is eaiser for me to pull the blade through a 10" drop than to push through a series of 3" horizontal cuts to make a 10" cut.

I am considering a price increase but, have not as of yet. 

Mark

TN_man

Nice log there Mark!
I think logs like that are alot of fun. Teenswinger and I worked on a 42" red oak log this past weekend. We got 3 10' logs out of that tree and about 1000 bdft. Cutting into 4/4 boards, it took us about 7.5 hrs to do the whole job. We were slowed down by having to detect for metal after every cut on the butt log. The tree was in the fork of two roads and thus one side of it had quite a few nails in it all the way from the outside down to the pith. Any time we are in a visible area, the mill draws a crowd.
We have been charging 20 cents per bdft. plus a travel fee for anybody out of our county. We are thinking about charging an admission fee too. :)
Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

NZJake

Hey Ga_boy,

Sounds like your having difficulties with the horizontal cutting process? Are you really making 3 horizontal passes to achieve a 10" board? That really doesn't sound right. Are you using the 6 Tooth blade? Normally it's alot easier to push with this blade when you cut large boards. Are you attaining a nice crisscross cutting patern on your horizontal surface? Are you using water?

I've cut some incredible hardwood in Ausi, worst case would mean that I had to take it in two passes. 5" + 5".

Give me an email, I might be able to help you here if I can figure out the prob?

Great log by the way, looking forward to the timber pics...
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Ga_Boy

Jake,

I'll send you an e-mail to you Peterson account.

The owner gave mea CD with 200 pictures of the first days cutting.

Got some nice pics of the logs and lumber.

Mark

iain

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on November 04, 2005, 11:19:42 PM
I rather liked the second picture.  It appears as if you were bowing in worship and touching the hem of the garment. ;D

Don't kiss the 'ring'  :o  :D

I'm was just curious, did you paint the log end? That's the whitest 'white maple' heart I ever seen for a tree that large.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ga_Boy

The logs were painted white by the owner....

Kirk_Allen

And I thought the one I got today was big  :o

I have to figure out how to get it off the trailer..........................................and then..........................figure out how to mill it :(  I want a Swinger
Todays Maple-reply 118

Troy

Hey Mark!  How about posting a couple of the photos of you cutting into one of those big logs... 

Troy
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Kirk Allen on November 30, 2005, 06:13:24 PM
I have to figure out how to get it off the trailerTodays Maple-reply 118

Kirk,

Unloading is easy! Well at least here in Maryland it is.  The other day I measured the the acceleration due to gravity and it came to around 9.797 m/s^2 (meters per second squared).   

Where you are close to Cleveland your accelleration due to gravity is a little quicker, you are pushing 9.8 m/s^2.

In other words roll it off the trailer and let it hit the ground!   :D :D :D :D :D

yer killem me here Kirk    ;) :D ;D

Troy,

I'll get some pictures posted tonight.

Mark

SwampDonkey

Kirk's gettin so much wood that he's starting to worry/complain about the little stuff in life. As they say, 'Don't sweat the little stuff'. Stop yer DanG whine'n and get sawing. ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kirk_Allen

You guys are killing me :D :D :D :D :D

I would roll it off if it wasnt wedged in between the two cedar trees on the trailer.  Cant roll them AT ALL because of the weight of the Maple.

OK, OK, I know, quite complaining.  I guess I will have to hook the winch to it and try to pull it off and let her roll  8)

Ga_Boy

Here are 4 pictures of me walking  on top of that big  Maple.

Mark

submarinesailor

Mark,

That's one nice log!  Where did you find one that big in this area?  Did you cut it at home and off site.

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!