iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having a blast

Started by Paul_H, November 03, 2005, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Tom, I think you may be right...I've been to his place.  ;D ;D ;D  Ohhh, yall know our Alabama Donkey is another year older today...right?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D Paul, those pics brought a smile to my face. You are right, the riggers don't need no stinkin' scale, they are pretty DanG good at judging the weight of those turns. They have to be, too light does not pay and too heavy means an aborted load. The multiple drop hook is something new since I left.
Got to thinking later. Were they using a carousel with 6 or 8 hooks under a small helicopter to haul the chokers up the hill?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

Great pictures!

I've just got to get to BC someday. Some years ago I had a load of straw delivered from Canada and the young driver had spent one season signed on to drive those log trucks down off the mountains in BC. He said they were in a very remote area and had to stay for the whole season. Told me it was a great experience and made good money, but one he did not want to repeat. With no weight limits and steep roads, any mechanical failure like brakes or drive train problems and it could be the end for the unlucky driver.

Keep the pictures coming.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tillaway

We had a helicopter show last year, I was not able to get pictures though.  We had a K-Max thinning about 600 acres.  It took the cutters about 1 1/2 hours to hike in and about 2 to come back out.  It was a long way in and out on some steep ground. 
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Scott

Nice  pictures Paul, it's good to see your having some fun. Are you working for Hayes or are they just doing the heli work?
The helicopters that Hayes use are rated for 8 tons with a full tank of feul and closer to 10 tons when theyre getting lower on feul   :o

sawguy21

The helicopter in Paul's pics is the S-61, that is the type I worked with. It has a maximum lift of 10,000 lb.Swamp Donkey's shot shows it's big brother the S-64 Skycrane that can lift 20,000 lb. The twin rotor Chinooks and Vertols are also used here on the coast along with a few Russian built K-max.
I was around one of those monster S-64'S in 1988 in northern California while chasing a 61 with a single axle fuel truck. We were fighting a fire at Shelter Bay near Garborville. Their water bucket was huge, 8000 litres. It would hold the same amount as the truck I was driving. :o They re fuelled from an A train. I quickly learned to stand waaay back when it was taking off.  :D

Scott

Your right Sawguy, my mistake  :-[

Reddog

I don't think the K-max is russian.

QuoteThe K-MAX K-1200 light-lift multi-purpose helicopter is manufactured by Kaman Aerospace Company at the company's production facilities at Bloomfield, Connecticut.

sawguy21

OOPS, my mistake this time. The Kamov KA32  is Ruskie built. Vancouver Island Helicopters had quite a time getting them approved for operations in Canada but they are working well..

dundee

Swamp, the heli crane in your post, are they the Erickson company, if so, we used them in Borneo, 10 tons was max if the atmoshere was on their side, all motor as use suggested

Richard

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I have wondered how they hooked onto the standing stems. That is tricky, the ground crew need to notch the tree to allow it to snap off but it needs to be stable while being grappled. The Skycrane's rotor down wash is tremendous.

Thank You Sponsors!