iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you ever bought a tool that you didn't know how to use?

Started by Modat22, November 03, 2005, 03:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I've been kicking myself for buying this smithy 3 in 1 machine because:

1. I have no idea how to use it.
2. I need more tooling to experiment with it.
3. I should have purchased more woodworking tools.

Now saying that I must add that I really want to learn how to use this thing because I love to tinker, make items and I think I can use this in conjunction with sandcasting to make replacement items for a few things.

I have to ask how many of you folks have purchased items that you didn't know how to use.
remember man that thy are dust.

beenthere

Not really a "purchase" per se, but I had this marriage encounter...... ;D  Practice makes perfect.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbuild

Not such a bad move, it sure looks good in the shop smiley_mellow
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Tom

I want one.   Smithy is one of the ones that I have shopped.  The other that I was serious about was the El Dorado, Bridgemill.  I still haven't broken down and spent the money.

What I want it for is fabrication of sawmill parts, tractor parts and building implements.   I can't quite justify having one so I'll probably end up buying it one day without justification.   Sometimes just wanting something is justification enough.

CHARLIE

Tom, I've always said, if you want something bad enough, you'll figure out how to justify getting it.

I bought a woodlathe once and had no idea what to do with it.  Started playing around with it and after a few disasters, took a class and joined a club. I'm having fun now!!! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Brad_S.

I bought a sawmill and didn't have a clue how to use it. ;)
Way back in '92, there was no Forestry Forum to ask questions on, no Sawmill and Woodlot magazine to turn to, and no books on sawmilling. A lot of innocent logs endured unmentionable suffering as I tried to figure things out. :D 
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Corley5

That'd look good in my shop too.  The only thing I know about them is I want one, and it'd be handy once I knew how to use it. 8) 8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ernie

Quote from: Tom on November 03, 2005, 06:07:02 PM
I want one.   Smithy is one of the ones that I have shopped.  The other that I was serious about was the El Dorado, Bridgemill.  I still haven't broken down and spent the money.

What I want it for is fabrication of sawmill parts, tractor parts and building implements.   I can't quite justify having one so I'll probably end up buying it one day without justification.   Sometimes just wanting something is justification enough.

Oh go ahead Tom, life's too short to worry about justification and numbers on bits of paper ;D ;D

Boy do I get myself into trouble this way :'( :'( :'(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Daren

Sure is pretty. I have bought tools I didn't know how to use, but figured out. That is part of the fun of a new tool. The only thing I ever bought that I never knew how to use was the Rubik's cube, once I turned it a few times it was as good as broken.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Modat22

Quote from: Tom on November 03, 2005, 06:07:02 PM

If you lived near me I'd let you use mine LOL

Don_Papenburg

Mo   ,  That will make a very fine woodworking tool also better keep it .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

PawNature

I never saw a tool that a man made that I couldn't figure out given enough time. Course i don't know if they ship tools to the afterlife.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

pigman

I bought a band sawmill , didn't know how to use it. I thought I learned how to use it, but after today I guess I only thought I knew how to use it.
:(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

moosehunter

Pigman,
Ok. tell us why you only thought you knew how to use it!?? Is there a mangled blade involved?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quartlow

hmm lets see

Lathe,
Sawmill
Kiln
Yep I have and probably more than this also

Modat, if that think scares you I can come up there and load it up and haul it away  ;) ;) :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Modat22

Quote from: Quartlow on November 04, 2005, 07:55:35 AM
hmm lets see

Lathe,
Sawmill
Kiln
Yep I have and probably more than this also

Modat, if that think scares you I can come up there and load it up and haul it away  ;) ;) :D

*chuckles* I built a 12' x 16' insulated, air conditioned, heated building to put that little monster in to work. The wife got so jealous of my building and machine that she hasn't been in that building since I finished it back in April. The building became more of a wood working shop than a metal shop.

crtreedude

I buy tools and don't get to play with them!   :'(  Hector and crew are convinced us Gringos are ignorant when it comes to tools.

I am going to take apart an engine and put it back together in front of them someday just to shock them... or perhaps it is more fun not to and go fishing...  8)

I am definitely thinking about a lathe - we have all sorts of pieces of wood around that would make really neat bowls - and hardwood bowls go for a LOT of money - the tropical ones are going for about 60 dollars in the store. I figure they would make nice gifts for tree owners.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ernie

Quote from: crtreedude on November 04, 2005, 09:34:18 AM
I am going to take apart an engine and put it back together in front of them someday just to shock them.

If you're at all like me, keep a little box handy for all those parts that the manufacturer never should have built in in the first place cause the engine runs just as well without them.  The box is to hide the bits from the spectators :D :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Quartlow

Quote from: Modat22 on November 04, 2005, 08:06:33 AM
The wife got so jealous of my building and machine that she hasn't been in that building since I finished it back in April.

Hmm, I fail to see the problem with that  :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

junkyard

Yup. Bought some tools 50 years ago still don' know what they are nor how to use them. I think they are still out in the beer truck. The beer truck it self is gone but the boby is a store house for good items.Still has Genesee on the side.
Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Modat22

Quote from: Quartlow on November 05, 2005, 08:06:50 AM
Quote from: Modat22 on November 04, 2005, 08:06:33 AM
The wife got so jealous of my building and machine that she hasn't been in that building since I finished it back in April.

Hmm, I fail to see the problem with that  :D :D :D

I only pretend to my wife that it hurts me that she shows so little interest in my hobbies. I'm actually quite happy with the current arrangement.

OneWithWood

A buddy of mine bought one of those Smithys.  He made a few small aluminum bits for a motorcycle he is restoring.  Mostly it just sits and gathers dust.  The motorcycle is safely tucked away in a few boxes  :D
Of course I have acquired a number of things I did not know how to use.  Here is a partial list:

JD450C crawler/loader with timber winch and logging forks
  getting better at controlling it and not causing too much damage
  sure have learned a lot about diesel mechanics and hydraulics  ::)

JMS 10 ton forwarding trailer with grapple loader
  after a lot of practice I can actually load and unload the trailer  ;D
  mostly I pull it around behind the aforementioned JD450 when it is running

LT40HDG25
  getting a lot of practice making dimension lumber building barns for the toys; someday I will actually cut some grade lumber  ;)

DH4000 Kiln (Nyle L200 with Honeywell controller)
  bought it in 2002 and finally took it out of the box last week :o

no reason to get in a hurry about these things  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

asy

I bought a hammer.

Thought I knew how to use it. Thought... How hard can it be, ya hold it and ya bang.

Soon found out there's WAYS To use a hammer so as not to cause unending elbow pain.

Found it out too late.

Still got the floor hammered down. Thankfully was working with a good builder who watched me hammer the first few in then said "NOw, I want you to be able to work all day, so I"m gonna show ya something..."

Good man, that.

asy_with_elbow_a'healin'  :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!