iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goblin Forest

Started by Ianab, November 03, 2005, 04:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Goblin forest - or if you have been watching LOTR it may be the Ents.

Anyway this is the high altitude rain forest a few miles up the road from home.

The trees are near the upper limit of the forest and are only 20-30ft tall. Gets regular snow in the winter but is temperate rain forest the rest of the year. A strange place for sure.

;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

crtreedude

We have something similar here called Cloud Forest - there is a really famous one call Monteverde.  They leave their roads in really horrible shape to try to slow down the visitors - but they still get too many.

What is odd is that behind us is a much much larger one (70,000+ acres) which is free. When I went into it, I didn't even see another person.  :o It has abandoned mines, etc. You can rent a horse for and a guide for 15 dollars for half a day - which is about a quarter of the price of the other one.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

sprucebunny

That's really cool, Ian. The photo and steps remind me of the illustrations in a Hans Christian Anderson book I had when young.

I hope to visit your country and see that forest someday ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

A couple more pics...

Dawson Falls, the Goblin Forest is just above the falls.

View looking down the valley onto the farmland below.

Look around for the details. If you have ever grown a fuschia bush in your garden, how about one that grows into a 40ft tall tree. BTW the berries are delicous  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

One more pic
This is the stream flowing thru the volcanic rock above the waterfall. I'm sure I can get a better picture, but it would involve getting wet, and the stream is currently snowmelt, so thats not an option. I'll see what I can do when the weather warms up a bit  ;)

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!