iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The First Ever Auction to support "The Greatest Forum"

Started by Paschale, November 02, 2005, 10:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Deadwood, your stuff is WAY cool! I love the crane!  8)

I am always amazed at the talent I see on this forum.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Deadwood

Hey Jeff, if I am taking you right here, you are trying to let everyone know that donations are not required. If that is what you are saying then great, but if I gave you the impression I felt I HAVE to donate then you are mistaken my friend.

I feel compelled to donate because I enjoy forums, but this forum has been the best fit for me. I used to spend a lot of time on a woodworking forum, but I would have a tendency to post stuff about forestry right along with woodworking stuff. They did not like that. So far you seem to allow both the raw forest products and the finalized products. If that is indeed true then I have indeed found a new home.

As for the Lombard Log Hauler. Well building models to me is like art, and while it sounds kind of funny, I build them for the challenge. If someone would like to have a custom wooden model of the Log Hauler or a custom one altogether, then I would be proud to make them one. If the money can benefit the forestry forum, then so much the better.

I joined my local fire department, because I firmly believe in giving back to the community. It matters little if the community is a true entity like Thorndike Maine or an online entity like the Forestry Forum. I am a firm believer in giving back.

beenthere

I can see this auction is going to cost me some money. If Deadwood puts that Lombard Log Hauler in there, I'm bidding (as long as I don't get the boss upset  :) ).

I have two Alaska yellow cedar burls that I will donate. Given to me by a logger/feller on Wrangell Island, AK and I have only 'saved' them.
Do I take pics and send them in (to who), or to Ebay?  Will get the pics and then find out those details later.

(This auction action may get me back to working up some walnut bowls that I used to make, and then I can donate a few of those).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sunfield Hardwood

Hey BW- Williams, what are the options for your hunt,whats your specialty?. I'm an avid bowhunter and would be interested in about anything, elk,deer,bear, mt lion etc, 8)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

BW_Williams

SH, I'm a bowhunter also, elk, deer, bear and cougar are open at the same times with an early hunt in Sept and a late one the last part of November.  I usually don't hunt the early hunt as fire season isn't over most years!  I just went out to the truck and got the regs, you may want to be sitting down as the big game combo non-res tags run $722.70 for 2005 :o  maybe I'll find something else to auction!  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Paschale

Thanks to all of you who are interested in the auction, both from a donating side of things, as well as interest in the actual auction.  It should be a ton of fun.   8)

To help understand the process, I'll post a list of steps that Charlie put together for those who are donating.  For those who are donating, this is what Jeff will need to make things happen:

Step 1: Take a very good picture (or pictures) of the donated item.
                Step 2: Write a colorful description of the donated item, include
                             the shipping cost (the shipping cost you'll have to figure
                             out).
               Step 3:  E-mail the picture and description to Jeff with a
                            Subject of "Donation for Auction"
               Step 4:  When Item sells and money is received through Paypal
                             Jeff will send you the buyer's name and address.
               Step 5:  Immediately package and ship the donated article to
                            the buyer.
               Step 6:  The buyer will include the cost of shipping in his
                            payment to the Forestry Forum Paypal account on Ebay. 
                            Jeff will mail you a check from that amount to cover the shipping.

It's really pretty important that the shipping side of things happens right away.  As we all know, reputation is very important on Ebay.  Those of us donating hold a unique responsibility in helping to preserve the reputation of the Forestry Forum, but I know everyone donating will follow through.  It just has to be said...   :)

It's gonna be fun!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Radar67

I've got a step to suggest, after the item is shipped, notify Jeff so he can notify the buyer that item was shipped.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Paschale

Good idea, stew!

Step 7.  Notify Jeff that the item's on the way, so he can notify the buyer.      ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

Step 2 Shipping cost included?  How do the 'donators'  know that cost if we don't know to where it will be shipped?

Seems shipping should be just an estimate of the weight, and the buyer can estimate what the shipping cost might be. If there is an estimate of any extra packaging cost and insurance cost, due to being delicate or difficult to ship, then that could be mentioned.

Jeff:  Are you game to 'play this game' ? Seems like a bit of extra work for your team, but it also sounds like fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

Been there, if you go to UPS.com they have a shipping calculator to determine cost. Since you are in the midwest, just figure your cost to either coast, then you can rest assured you will be covered no matter where you end up shipping the item. Be sure to estimate not only the weight of your item, but also the dimensions. The figures that UPS gives you are pretty close. You can always add a couple bucks on to give yourself some wiggle room.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

CHARLIE

I just sent a picture and description of my auction donation to Jeff.  Here are some things I thought of as I did it.

In the description, I used as many different words as I could think of so if someone was doing a search, this item would get a hit.  I used words like: gift, Christmas, holiday, birthday, special occasion, wood, ornament, person, special, etc, etc.

I know my shipping charges in the U.S. to be $3.85, so I asked that if the item had to be shipped out of the U.S., the buyer contact me for actual shipping charges.

I sell the item I'm donating for $20 each, so I asked that the RESERVE be set for $20.  For the time and effort I put into making it, I'd hate to see it go for less than that.  I also asked that the BUY NOW price be set at $30.  My thought there was that if I set the BUY NOW at $20, it would inhibit the bidding from going over $20.

These are just some of my thoughts I wanted to share.  It's the first time I've sold anything on E-Bay.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

CHARLIE

I'm just bringing this thread back to the first page.  I think it's too important to allow it to slide to page two.  Some people that decide to make something to donate might need the time to do it before the Auction get's started. So I think this thread should remain visable.  I wonder if there is a way to "LOCK" it onto the first page. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Larry called me this week to offer any help I may need. He recommended that I down load Turbo lister which I went ahead an did. This way, as I get the auction materials, I can add them to turbo lister and the auction will be all set to go when we are ready. I can add each item to the program and save it. When we are ready to start the auctions, I can tell it which items to start with and it will upload them and get things started.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

That sounds like a great management tool that will ease the organizing and make things a lot simpler.
Charlie

Patty

So it would help you to have us contact you with our stuff to donate this far ahead of opening day?
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Jeff

Yes, as soon as you have the information  ready you can send it to me. The sooner I get stuff the easier it will be, that way I can space the work. :)

CHARLIE

I have a thought........  There are some members that are well versed on E-Bay and know how to write a description to the product that would not only catch searches but will entice someone to place a bid.

There are some members that are fantastic craftsmen but have never used E-Bay and could use some help or advice writing a description for their product.

I wonder if some members with the experience of selling on E-Bay might want to volunteer to be available in case another member needs help.  You could just list yourself on this thread as willing to help someone.  Then it would be up to them to contact you.

Just a thought :P
Charlie

asy

Quote from: CHARLIE on November 06, 2005, 10:40:20 PM
I wonder if some members with the experience of selling on E-Bay might want to volunteer to be available in case another member needs help.  You could just list yourself on this thread as willing to help someone.  Then it would be up to them to contact you.

Just a thought :P

I'd be happy to help anyone who needs it to write their blurb.

feel free to PM me through the forum if'n I can be of any help.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

mometal77

Gifts reminds me of my ex gf during her Christmas with her family.  After every one was done with after unwrapping gifts.  Everyone brought one or four presents and we played bingo for them you didnt know what you where getting.  Some items you cannot put on ebay.  Good idea thought.  I have seen some auctions on ebay where people get there buddy to increase the price.  One time i was the higher bidder for a plasma cutter and the other guy backed out one of those price wars down to the last 5 min of the auction  :D.  One way to get what you want i am sure any ebayer knows the game.  But he backed out and the owner contacted me if i wanted to buy it and i go how come you just dont drop back down to his original price before he bid.  One thing about ebay.  I am not saying it will happen here just a good story and advice for future bidders.  Anyone will buy anything and i agree you have to catch the eye of someone a key word that gets used every day by people.  I bought an engineering book for 25 bucks and got it in the mail said 1.50 on the inside lol still a great book if you own a hydro electric plant lot of useful formulas on water flow.
bobby
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mometal77 on November 08, 2005, 01:57:39 AMI bought an engineering book for 25 bucks and got it in the mail said 1.50 on the inside :D still a great book if you own a hydro electric plant lot of useful formulas on water flow.
bobby

Wow some of us Foresters on here have some forestry texts with $50 and $100 prices or more stamped on the cover page. Just think guys of the profits. $$ :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mometal77

i think for some books out there it is worth a used book.  I think books made in the 30s 40s 50s 60s are great books and carry a lot more information than some that are printed today and cost about 80-130 for a normal college text book.  Different tools and some have older books have bigger pics of equipment and the way things where done but the knowledge i believe is still the same.  Math i believe will never change.  Society will and the knowledge at which it is kept.  I think in the next 50 years will be so much different than it is today.  Kinda scares the hell out of me.
bobby
Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 08, 2005, 05:28:49 PM
Quote from: mometal77 on November 08, 2005, 01:57:39 AMI bought an engineering book for 25 bucks and got it in the mail said 1.50 on the inside :D still a great book if you own a hydro electric plant lot of useful formulas on water flow.
bobby

Wow some of us Foresters on here have some forestry texts with $50 and $100 prices or more stamped on the cover page. Just think guys of the profits. $$ :D
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mometal77 on November 09, 2005, 08:29:51 AM
i think for some books out there it is worth a used book.  I think books made in the 30s 40s 50s 60s are great books and carry a lot more information than some that are printed today and cost about 80-130 for a normal college text book. 

On what would you base that assumption? ;D I have a number of texts from the 80 and 90's that are considered 'the bible', by some, in their subject matter.

For instance:

'Biostatical Analysis' by Jerrold Zar http://www.bios.niu.edu/zar/zar.html

'Textbook of Wood Technology'

and if you want sketches and photos on almost every other page , open up  'Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation' by Lillesand and Kieffer.

;D ;D ;D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

isawlogs

Jeff , As soon as I am done with this deer hunting thing ...  :)  I will read all of this and get in touch , I am sure that I can come up with a few things ..   Some of those writing twigs that you know of come to mind .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Vermonter

I've sold lots of weird, heavy, and oddball stuff on ebay, so I'd be happy to help anyone with listings.  My username is amyrickvermont.
Jeff; if you are going to list them (and I think that is the best idea because it can drive web traffic to the forum, and buyers can search "other items for sale"), would it be easier if I just shipped a donation directly to you?
Last time I sold something, the "buy it now" disappeared as soon as the price hit the reserve.  You can also skip listing a reserve by using a higher starting bid, but I've found a reserve will increase the sale price.  It seems like lots of buyers read categories from lowest to highest price.
It might also help out Jeff with the listings if you go to ebay and find an item similar to what you want to donate, and copy the category for him.
On another, related note, I used the donate link yesterday for the first time.  For those of you who haven't, think about what you pay for magazine, newspaper and television, and compare that with the value of the information on this Forum.
New homestead

Thank You Sponsors!