iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting down a circle saw

Started by Frickman, November 01, 2005, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Have any of you circle saw guys ever had a saw cut down because it was wrecked? How do you think it worked? I ask this because I took on trade a 60" saw, I think a B patterm, but I'm not sure. I don't know the gauge, or even the manufacturer. I just parked it in the corner and forgot about it. The saw looked like it was in good shape, but I never put it on my mill. My 54" saw is just the right size for my operation, and I'm thinking of having this one cut down to 54" to keep as a backup. I would have to do too much monkeying around with my saw guide and splitter to hang a 60" saw on the mill. Too much messing around when you have to change saws and you got employees looking at you. I've seen the ads in different magazines for this service, I was just curious if any of you had any experience with it.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

beenthere

Have you checked with sponsor (on the left) Menominee Saw?  All that I've heard from speak very highly of them.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yep, call em up and ask for peach and tell him what you have in mind. Hes the best of the best and will give you the gospil on saws. I've only seen solid tooth saws cut down. Inserted tooth become slasher blades up here or art. ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I know it can be done.  But, I don't know of anyone who did it.  When you figure the costs of new shanks and cutting it down, you might only be saving a little bit over a new saw. 

Yesterday, I tried cutting a saw down on the 3/4" threaded rod I found in a log.   >:(  Old saw, so it wasn't much of a loss.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Buzz-sawyer

It is not a cheap job to get done.
I talked to Pipers about it once, and it was 14 bucks a shoulder cut...per insert....and you know how many teeth are on that beast!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ron Wenrich

Does that include a new shank & tooth?  Hammering would be extra, I suppose.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bro. Noble

Sounds like you need to find someone with a 54" that would like to trade.  Maybe a sawshop would be interested.  I believe that wwwozarkmachinery.com deales in used saws.  Maybe Menominne Saw does?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Frickman

At those prices, maybe a swap would be in order. Anyone want to trade?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Buzz-sawyer

I would...but dont have what ya need right now but will stay in touch........
new bits and shanks are extra..........probably re hammering too..........it works out to less cost than brand new..but really not practical in my mind. :-\ :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!