iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STORAGE SHEDS

Started by SAW MILLER, November 01, 2005, 07:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

After reading an old post on FF about  building outhouse storage sheds and selling them for some extra bucks,I thought I would try it.I made one and set it along the state highway and sold five in one week for $250 each.Now my problem is I am toooooo slow in building them.It takes me about 12 hours to do one.I have an air nailer,that helped but I guess I am asking for tips from yall to speed me up.I am also going to up the price $25.They are 42" x 42'' 7 foot tall board and batten poplar.about 220 bd ft. of lower grade in each. ??? ???
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Frickman

Visit a pallet shop, one that still uses hand air nailers, and look at their operation. Most of them will have jigs for lining up all the boards and can assemble pallets in no time.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Dan_Shade

you have any pictures?  sounds good, just make sure you aren't short changing yourself.

jigs for production are good. lets you surf the forum more :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SAW MILLER

Thanks for the jig idea.I think that would speed things up.I know I'm not getting much for material but I need to get rid of some lumber anyway.I'd like to at least make $20 an hour for labor.You know the crazyest quick cash I ever made was log reindeer for christmas decorations.$25 bucks each and I can make 3 an hour.The wives don't mind spending the cash on that kind of stuff??If I build a fine piece of furniture,theres no way I can cover all the manhours  I have in it.......Go figure ::) ::)

woodbowl

Quote from: SAW MILLER on November 01, 2005, 07:55:05 PM
After reading an old post on FF about building outhouse storage sheds and selling them for some extra bucks,
What's the name of that old post SAW MILLER? Surely there is  some money in making sheds of all sorts. The cutest storage bldg that I've ever seen looked more like a tack room than a portable bldg. I couldn't afford it. ............ Be sure to post some pics of your storage sheds.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

solodan

42"x42" hmmm, that's 12.25 sq ft.
a building that size should get you $300k in California.

Bothy_Loon

I also build a few sheds to make some money to spend on sawblades etc.
This one is 8ftx6ft
Bothy

SAW MILLER

Go to search.Then type"money maker during slow times" about half way down,it was posted by CAPTAIN.Mine looks identical to his  except I put cross bucks on the bottom half of the door.I finished one today in 10 hours.

rebocardo

When doing repetitive cutting, set up a stop at the end of your radial saw, just butt the board up against it and cut. Then do enough wall boards for five sheds. Then move the stop down to a preset mark (lets say for roof boards) then cut enough for five sheds. Then cut the boards for your doors, etc.

Do not double up boards for cutting, very dangerous, it rips the wood, and if you are hurrying that much you might cut off a piece of your body.

If you paint or stain them, do it before you nail by spray painting dozens of boards at a time leaning against a wall.

If you are making things square by hand, skip it. Make a square frame to hold the 2x4s, put the 2x4s in and nail without taking out a square. Same with measuring length and such. Have forms/guides already set up and just plop the wood in and nail.

woodbowl

Quote from: Bothy_Loon on November 02, 2005, 02:57:12 PM
I also build a few sheds to make some money to spend on sawblades etc.
This one is 8ftx6ft

Bothy, Here is the big question that we all want to know. Of course your not getting rich, but did you make a little money on it or just have fun? After all the logging, sawing and building, how much per hour do you figure you made?  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Larry

woodbowl, I came up with pretty neat design for a storage shed.  It was quite attractive and functional...even made a few bucks.  The Amish caught on most quick...built the same model at half my price.  Buggy town and do they pay income tax?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ARKANSAWYER

Several years ago I kept getting short pine logs after I bucked off the logs I needed to fill orders.  Most were 5 to 7 ft long and 6 to 8 inches in dia.  One day I sawed up most of them into 2x4's and 1x boards and made some sheds and sold them.  Up to this point I had never sold a pine board shorter then 8 ft.  Now I have a hard time getting enough of the boards to build a shed at a time.  ::)  People will never order short boards but will pick them up with their order.  It makes sense to buy a 7 ft board for door cripples and not waste a 8 footer.

You will find that getting a pattern and building several walls of the same style at one time will save you time.  I would cut out enough wood to build several sheds at one time then build all the bottoms at one time then the same walls ect. till done.   I got where I could cut and build 4 8x10 sheds in 2 days.
 Sheds are money makers and a good way to dump some low grade stuff.
ARKANSAWYER

woodbowl

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on November 02, 2005, 08:11:41 PM

You will find that getting a pattern and building several walls of the same style at one time will save you time.  I would cut out enough wood to build several sheds at one time then build all the bottoms at one time then the same walls ect. till done.   I got where I could cut and build 4 8x10 sheds in 2 days.

2 days ??? ................... Is this like a standard 2x4 stud wall on 16" centers, 2x6 joist with plank floor? Are the walls board & batton or shiplap? Did you use a nail gun?

pigman

woodbowl, you have understand that Arky has a lot of hands. ;) ;D

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

pigman
doesn't appear he's a workin 'em too hard though  ;D

I see 276 days to go........very glad to see that 'clock' start tickin' :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bothy_Loon

Woodbowl
The timber for the shed is from the side yield of logs I am cutting for other things & is seen as a way of using it up.
Yes I agree that if you count the felling, extraction, milling then building the shed that the money is not great. I have done a rough calculation based on the fact I had to cut the trees anyway & therefor had the timber for the shed for free.
I estimate that I was working for around £8.00 per hour.
I do a lot of work just for fun & make no charge as well though.
Some jobs I have done I have worked for as little as £2.50 per hour & had no fun !
Bothy 

Thank You Sponsors!