iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark boogers under my V-belt.

Started by Bibbyman, November 01, 2005, 05:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We'd been sawing for a number of years before this forum was available.   I first heard about others having the problem here on the forum – but I'd never had that problem.   I figured it was something to do with cutting pine.

Well, guess what,  we had our first confirmed incident of it last year.  I didn't know what was wrong.  I thought the main bearing was going out.  I finally figured it out and cleaned out the bark and everything ran smooth again.  I can't remember if it happened again after that one bout.

Then just in the past couple of weeks – since we got back to sawing walnut again,  it's been building up a bark booger just every few hundred board feet.   I'll stop and clean it out and maybe it'll run another 100 bf or 500 but it'll start up again and keep building until something has to be done. >:(

This afternoon I cleaned it out twice.  The second time I put on a new B57 belt.  We didn't saw much after that but it hasn't happened again .. yet.

More input...  We are sawing fresh cut walnut.  The bark is still sappy.   I don't know if it makes it stickier or what.  ::)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DonE911

:D :D :D :D

I get those when I do alot of sanding without a dust mask on.

But I don't think we are talking about the same thing :)

Tom

Don't know either Bibby.

I could go for months and not get a buildup of sawdust under the belts.  Then, out of the blue, here came that roaring  sound.  It's almost as if someone is playing with a bull roarer inside of the drive wheel side of the shroud.

The first time, each time, I have to stop and think about what is wrong.  Then it's just routine until it magically goes away. 

It happens here on Cypress the most and pine second.  I don't think I've ever suffered with other woods.  Perhaps my memory just lapses though.  It does that now and again. :D

I've given it a lot of thought and still haven't come up with a reason.  One thing it could be is the angle that the stream of sawdust follows as it is expelled by certain blades.   Some blades will throw sawdust out in front of the shroud door.  Some, I've seen throw a stream that wavers.   I'm sure some will direct a stream right at the band wheel and it gets under the blade.   That and the moisture or sap in the sawdust being right could cause the lump. 

I wish I really knew. :P :D

IL Bull

Are these tight fitting belts?  Mine has a B76 tire and fits so tight I don't see how anything can get in there. ::)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

ElectricAl

We had Booger problems too, not now though 8)

1/2 of a 1 qt oil bottle mounted at an angle resting on the blade. The plastic will self adjust where the teeth are.

No more Bark Boogers ;D 

Well, we still get regular Boogers like DonE911  :-\
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

Hey!!   You're pretty smart, Al.  :)

woodbowl

Quote from: ElectricAl on November 02, 2005, 07:39:20 PM

1/2 of a 1 qt oil bottle mounted at an angle resting on the blade. The plastic will self adjust where the teeth are.

ElectricAl, I can tell by the pic that your oil bottle is on the drive side and mounted between the pully and blade guide roller. Is that a water line feeding onto the blade or something else?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Furby

logwalker

He Bibbyman,

I have been using Timberwolve urethane belts on my little Western Sawyer with great results. Fit tight and never seem to attract too much debris. Art at T-wolf claims a cushioning effect. They run about $23 and seem to last for a year or more. BTW I am new to the forum and would like to say hello too all and say how much I have enjoyed reading all the entertaining posts that cover such an incredible range of topics. I am in the San Juan Islands of the coast of Washington St. Cutting D. Fir , Red Alder and some Western Cedar off my own property for our house and shop. So... Hello. Joe

P.S. I am dealing on a LT40Hd15E. I know that you and the missus will appreciate that tidbit. Eh?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ElectricAl

Woodbowl,

You are correct!  That is our water line zip tied to the Booger Buster :D

The factory water line was in the way a lot of the time. So I moved it to the drive side.

Even though we have a water solenoid, wet sawdust does build up after while.

When the blade is changed, damp dust is flicked down the shoot with the fingers ;)

The blade stays damp all the way around and into the cut.

Works great for us.

If you unhook your factory line from the blade guide arm, plug the metal tube before sawing or you'll be sorry if you switch back. :o

An even simpler Booger Buster is several layers of duct tape mounted the same way.

It will last 7-8 thousand feet.  

Tom,

Necessity is the mother of inventions.  Plus I like to modify stuff.  ;D

Furby,

It does look like a stick, now that ya mention it ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Linda

Quote from: ElectricAl on November 02, 2005, 10:04:38 PMPlus I like to modify stuff.  ;D

Excuse me, I just gotta butt in here...

When ElectricAl says he likes to modify stuff, he isn't kidding. ::)  It doesn't matter how old or even if it's brand new; no matter if it cost us $1 or $50,000.  He just feels compelled to remodel it! :-\

Does the name Red Green mean anything to ya?  :D  Notice, the first booger banger deflection shield was...duct tape.  ;D

But really I don't usually mind...After all he is my number one handyman! ;)
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bibbyman

Here is a link to Al'sduct tape Booger Buster and water line on the drive wheel side mod.

Useful Sawmill mods - E-Al's duct tape booger buster

Hey Al, How do you attach the new and improved flap to the guard?
Sawing since '94

Percy

Welcome L.W.  ;D ;D

Good to have you on board. I checked your photo gallery to get a better look at the "current project" pic in your avatat thing there. Couldnt find it. Heh. Very nice. Looks pretty uptown. ;D :D

On the sawdust-booger-thing, It is a weird thing as on my old LT40. I had the boogers from day one. Three or four times a day, almost every day. I went to the tight belts and the problem went away.  I never hadda booger on my LT70 but replaced the "floppers" as soon as they wore out.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

We have the retro fit rollers with the ceramic disk.

I cut a slot in the upper right corner of the plastic, then cut a 3/8" hole.

Slide the slot in the plastic across the threads of the roller vertical adjustment bolt until the hole is around the bolt.

Then with a #6 x 1/2" sheet metal screw I pinched the plastic against the metal on the left side of the plastic.

This description sounds goofy but get an oil bottle and a knife and you'll figure it out ;)

Logwalker,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Looking forward to some photos of your LT40HDE15.

They are kinda rare so enjoy it. We certainly enjoy ours.

Bibbyman

Quote from: ElectricAl on November 03, 2005, 08:06:37 PM
Bibbyman,

We have the retro fit rollers with the ceramic disk.

I cut a slot in the upper right corner of the plastic, then cut a 3/8" hole.

Slide the slot in the plastic across the threads of the roller vertical adjustment bolt until the hole is around the bolt.

Then with a #6 x 1/2" sheet metal screw I pinched the plastic against the metal on the left side of the plastic.

This description sounds goofy but get an oil bottle and a knife and you'll figure it out ;)

Just call me Goofie  ... Heea...Hucck!  You better draw me a picture (or just take one). Please?
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Bibbman,

Our camera pooped out, so you'll have to wait for your new Booger Buster.

But I'll get you fixed up ;)

Bibbyman

Hey! Guess what? 

We've sawn a couple 2 or 3 1,000 bf of walnut plus some asorted other stuff and, so far, no more bark boogers.

8)
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!