iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightered pine used as footers NEW

Started by SandyR, November 01, 2005, 04:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyR

My mother's home is 200 years old and under part of it are heartpine lightered stumps as footers.

It is for sale and the buyers had a home inspection done.  The only thing they found wrong was the "improper" footings of lightered. The buyers are requesting new footers and the lightered REMOVED entirely.  The house is two story and we are at a loss as what to do.  Any suggestions?
Thank you

Murf

Find another buyer, or get the present buyer to get a new home inspector.

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Texas Ranger

Find another buyer, those posts are better than any treated post today.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DonE911

I'm with the others.  Find a new buyer.   My old house in FL was all fat pine....  the walls/floors and interior roof.....  the house was an old ice house before my great grandfather dismantled it at the port and put it back together and made a home out of it. 

You could not drive a nail in it.....  you had to drill it and then put screws in.

DanG

There's an old fenceline on my place that has some fat lightered posts in it.  The wire has been replaced, as it completely rusted away.  There are vestiges of old creosoted posts that are crumbling to dust, and at least two replacement courses of penta-treated and CCA posts, also rotted beyond use.  The old Lightered posts are still as good as the day they were put in.  The stuff is here to stay! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

EZ

Don P

Lighter, or fatwood is totally pitched pine, kinda stewed in its own juices.  I used too much lighter knot kindling to remove the door from a woodstove once  :D. My thinking is that the house has been there for 200 years BECAUSE it has fatwood piers  :).

DonE911

Fat or Lighter Pine is a close cousin to Petrified wood.  Pet wood is lazy and just lays around ....  fat lighter gets some work from time to time....  like lighting fires and in this case footers.. ;D ;D ;D

Don K

Good ole fat litard as we say in lower alabama, is the best stuff in the world for starting fires. Most of my life I didn't know anything else was used in other parts of the country. I was mighty disappointed for them folks when I found out they couldn't get it.  :(  :(  :'(  :'(

Not to mention the shock at hearing people would pay $20 for a bundle of splinters the size of a 1/2 gal ice cream tub. I've always loved to pick it up in the woods. I've probably got 3 pickup loads at my house in a pile.       It's starting to get scarce now as all the big timber owners burn the land after clearcutting.

I guess I better get in a few more loads  :) :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Rockn H

Like the others said it's the pitch soaked heart.  I just wanted to add that it's what's left after the sap wood has rotted away.  Around here it's usually what is left of the stumps after a tree was cut, several years after it was cut actually.  The stuff is so solid you can still hook a chain to it an pull it out of the ground intact.  Occassionally you will find an entire tree.  They are interesting because not only do you have the heartwood left, but also the heart of the limbs as they branch off of the center.  Makes a highly combustable, long lasting, rustic coat rack.  If you like the smell of pine put a few shavings in a pot of water on the stove.

DonE911

Don_K

If I had truckloads of it.... I'd be bundling that stuff and looking for a market.

Riles

More specifically it's the resin produced by a pine tree. Especially obvious in longleaf pine, and very obvious when a tree has been attacked by beetles. Resin is the pine's defense agains insect attack.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

EZ

Very interesting,guys. Wonder how much of this stuff I burned in my lifetime and did'nt know it.
Thanks guys.
EZ

Don P

"A lightard tree is caused by a lightning strike."
I can see how that could be. I imagine it sets every resin duct into production and I've heard the epithelial cells are the last to die as well.
I'm curious if any of you all have heard this told.

beenthere

epithelial cells  ?? ::)

I thought those were from inside the mouth along the cheek.  Never heard of them in wood, but don't know about dem pines in the south.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Beenthere,  The female trees are real mouthy down here.  :)

beenthere

OH OH! You be careful or Roxie will beat on you  ;D :D :D

Don't want any harm to come your way.  :)  and I see she is getting reinforcements delivered just these past days. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

Quoteepithelial cells  ??

I thought those were from inside the mouth along the cheek.  Never heard of them in wood, but don't know about dem pines in the south.

:D :D You might be right, now I gotta go open da book  :P :D

Don P

:P
"Epithelium;
Structures known as resin canals are found in certain softwood species. They are consistently found in the genera Pinus (pines), Picea (spruce), Larix (larch), and Pseudotsuga menziesii (Doug fir). This is one feature that assists in the ID of softwoods. Normal longitudinal resin canals are always accompanied by horizontal canals, which occur in some of the rays.
A resin canal is an intercellular space surrounded by specialized parenchyma cells that secrete resin into the canal. This resin is believed to play an important role in the healing of damaged tissue and in repelling attack by insects or other invaders. A cut through the inner bark of pine, for example, begins a flow of resin to the wound area and may even be accompanied by production of new resin producing cells near the wound.
... these units are the resin secreting cells and are known as epithelial cells."

ARKANSAWYER

Looks like this when you saw it.

If it has lasted for 200 years what makes them think it will not last longer or that there is any thing better?   ???   The best CCA was for 40 years.   Best left alone.
ARKANSAWYER

Furby

I'm wondering if their concern is for the fire hazard rather then rotting.

beenthere

Quote from: Don P on November 02, 2005, 08:17:48 PM
  :P
"Epithelium;
... these units are the resin secreting cells and are known as epithelial cells."

Thanks Don P
I have learned something that I may have sometime already known (or skipped over). 
  :)
south central Wisconsin

Fla._Deadheader

Home Inspectors down here are basically moroons. Don't need ANY education, just an Occupational License. Y'all know what that is, right ??The license to steal ??

Typically them know nothins get $200.00 for the Inspection, including the report that YOU don't get, only the Mortgage Company. YOU pay for it though. Can't even get a copy of what you paid for. Best part is, They are NOT responsible in any way if a problem is discovered that they missed.

What a RACKET  ::) ::) >:( >:(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

rebocardo

Find new buyers. State the obvious in case they don't get it. This house was built before your grand parents were born, before your parents were born, before you were born, and it will most likely be standing well after you are all dead and forgotten.
;)

DanG

I'm wondering if their concern is for the fire hazard rather then rotting.

I'm thinkin' there concern is out of their own ignorance.  The stuff doesn't come with a government stamp on it, so it must not be any good. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!