iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Increase grade by trimming end defects?

Started by Shamus, November 01, 2005, 12:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamus

Does that work? If you can trim a defect off the end of a board, can you increase the remaining grade in the board, or does it just mean you end up with less board feet, and no gain in grade?

Obviously I am new to this whole grade sawing business...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

DanG

I vote "YES"!

Say you're sell your FAS for $2bf, and #2 is $1.50.  You can make a 11ft FAS by cutting a foot off of a 12 footer that would grade #2.  You will be making a $22 board out of a $18 board and heat your house with the residue. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Shamus

Alright DanG, that's what I'm looking for! Thanks again.
Yeah, for big leaf maple, the difference is between $1,200/mbf for Select & Better, and $750 for #1 Shop. Now these are canuck bucks here, so don't get too excited. I know that I am getting burned on clears, because they don't pay any more than selects. I am looking for a buyer for my clears...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

beenthere

I heard tell of a grader (or a fellow who knew how to grade hardwood lumber  :) ) who would, in the 50's, hire a helper and unload rail cars full of hardwood lumber, crosscut-trim some boards to a shorter length, reload it into another rail car and make good money (actually his living) doing it. Something about being able to buy rail cars of lumber and upgrade it 'in-transit', like drying in-transit.
I watched "inspectorwoody" grade lumber at their mill in Muscoda, WI and he would mark and send boards back for trimming if they could be upgraded by further trimming. That adds money to the mill owners' pockets. Also, its more evidence that those who saw logs, edge boards, and trim boards can make better decisions if they have some understanding of the lumber grades. Great guys to have on your team if sawing lumber.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

But you gott know the grading rules-------If you cut a foot off of an 8 ft board,  it automatically eliminates the possibility of it being FAS.  If the only defect was on the end of the board,  you change it from an 8' #1 to a 7' #1 unless they buy selects where you are located.  They buy one face here rather than selects and they still have to be 8' or longer.

It sure pays to know the rules,  not so much for being able to grade each board,  but for being able to do a good job of edging and endtrimming.  That way you can make the most of the given board that you have to work with.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Shamus

Well I don't get paid any more for FAS than I do for select, so in theory I could mill everything as narrow as 4" without losing $$$. I will go through my pile before I take it to the buyer. The only real grade decision I have to make is between Select or lower grades.

IL Bull

Bro. Noble are you selling wholesale or retail?
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

beenthere

Shamus
Are you talking just hardwood NHLA grades here?
Or maybe the softwood Factory and Shop lumber grades - ?

I was thinking hardwood initially, but then you mentioned #1 Shop, and made me wonder.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Not only is there end trimming, but there is also benefit in re-edging.  If you have too much wane, your board will drop in grade.  If you have a wide board, sometimes you make more by cutting it into 2 boards.  One has the defect the other is a much better grade.  But, you have to know your prices, and crunch some numbers before you start cutting and edging.

DanG

Will you please buy lumber from me?  Especially the #2.   :D

I also wondered about that #1 shop grade.  Your bigleaf maple should follow the NHLA grade rules, but I know some West Coast sawmills that have made up their own grades.  They're starting to use the NHLA grades, since there is a standard that everyone understands.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Shamus

Yes, the buyer uses NHLA grades, I am also a bit confused by the #1 shop term. Basically their breakdown is Select & Better, #1 Shop, or Frame Grade, and that's all folks.

Bro. Noble

inspectorwoody

8) End trim and edge wisely!

Yes you can make money! I will look at the market report and find out the prices for the species we are cutting...

I than will make a table with the grades across the top and the surface measure along the side. I than calculate what each grade is worth at that surface measure. When that is done I can look and see how much I can cut off the end or edge and still make money!

In regards to that here is a little something that will be a quick guide:

5" wide 3' SM
6.5" wide 4' SM
8" wide 5' SM
9.5" wide 6' SM
10.5" wide 7' SM

Sometimes it is better to rip the board to a smaller surface meaure rather than cutting off the end. For us our buyers don't like a lot of 6' boards.

Now a good example I can think of is in Walnut. Please understand that the rules for Walnut are quite different than the standard rules.

Hopefully I will make this clear enough for everyone to understand  ;)

In the standard rules if you have a board that is 6"w x 8'L with a knot right in the middle it is a #1 com. In Walnut if you have the same board it is an FAS  ;D

Now if the above board has the knot say two foot in from the end (Walnut rules) it is a #1 com but in the 6 and 7' boards you defect grade. So if the knot is 1 1/4" in average diameter or less you have 1 defect. If you cut the above board back to a 7' you now have an FAS  ;D

In some species the price difference between grades does not justify remanufacture. In that case you can leave more wane on the edge or other defects. It may also be necessary to edge or end trim for appereance purposes.

NHLA has an illustrated guide to the grading rules which is very useful.

I am also willing to work with anyone on site too. I know I am one that learns better when someone shows me rather than reading it.

Hope this helps a little.

Woody

Bibbyman

In the past we dealt with a lumber broker that would up-grade as they bought.  If they saw a board that'd grade better if cut back or re-edged,  they'd mark it while on the grading chain and then buy it as such.  We always came out a little shorter on our board feet than our raw figure but were more than happy with the grade distribution.

I was talking with our log broker the other day and he was getting cranked up about up-grading his lumber.  Said it could mean as much as 38% more money by upgrading. (We do upgrade quite a bit but don't go nuts over it.)   I told him that the broker we dealt with upgraded as he bought.  He said it was not the case where he was marketing the lumber we sawed for him.  Furthermore,  they kiln dried all their lumber first and them up-graded it.

These are the only two experiences we've had with the way brokers grade lumber.  What is the common practice?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

Depends on the broker.  Some buy it the way it comes off the truck.  They then upgrade and seperate the grades, widths and lengths.  They make more money by selling 10" and wider, for example.  If you buy a lot of lumber, you can bleed the extras into another load. 

We have one outfit that upgrades but doesn't cut.  But, they mfg panels and can use some of those units that would normally go into the chipper. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frickman

Anyone who is manufacturing lumber to sell would benefit from a lumber grading short course. In my part of the state there is a class once or twice a year. You attend class for three to five days, learning the basics of measuring lumber and the grading rules. Our area has mostly hardwoods so our classes are for the NHLA rules. This class does not automatically make you a full-time, professional grader. It does though give you the basics so you can make informed decisions when cutting lumber. As the above examples show, you can upgrade a board and increase it's value by edging or trimming.

I have attended two of these short courses and have studied the NHLA rulebook. I'm not the fastest grader, as I don't do it everyday, but most of my customers accept my grade. I'd like to go to the Memphis school, but can't find the time, so the occasional short course has to do.

One thing that always amazes me when I visit other commercial mills is how many of the people in the mill making lumber don't have a clue about any of the grading rules. I was in a mill once where the edgerman was edging off all the wane and extra half inch or so of wood on each side. In high value cherry he was throwing three dollars of good wood into the chipper on every board. The mill owner/sawyer, who doesn't know a thing either about grading lumber, couldn't figure out why the timber sales he bought didn't scale out like they should. He was getting an underun on all the logs he sawed, due to the way he and his crew cut wood. A three day short course on lumber grading for his whole crew would pay for itself in a couple of days, but he figures he too busy sawing to learn about the product he's making. It would be like a baker not knowing how to count to twelve and throwing twenty cookies in every dozen.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

brdmkr

Frickman

Any idea when that course in Memphis is offered?  I might be able to make that one.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Frickman

Three times a year, the last time I checked. It's thirteen weeks long, and held at the NHLA headquarters. I've visited it, and they have an excellent facility. The program is run similar to a high-school vo-tech class, with both classroom instruction and hands on practice in a grading shed. I just can't shut the business down for three months to attend.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Bibbyman

Mary has attended their short course on lumber grading and log grading.  She loved it.  She would – being of an accounting mind anyway.   smiley_scholar

I read the book  :P
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

I looked at the pictures in the book and saw the movie ;D

IL Bull

brdmkr

Thirteen weeks :o!  I was hoping for 3 - 5 days :)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Bro. Noble

Quote from: IL Bull on November 02, 2005, 08:38:23 AM
Where does a guy find a broker? ???

We sell to North Pacific.  You might find out from their website where they buy.  We also have several other buyers in our area,  but the only one that buys in other areas is Bruce Flooring.  I'm shure they have a website too.

Ask at the comercial mills in your area.  Most of them will be glad to give you marketing advice.

Shamus

Since my only decision is whether a board is Select or less than Select, I don't need to know much, for now about grading, but I would love to spend some time with someone that has it figured out.
     I am milling with a circle mill, so re-edging is something I only do begrudgingly. Its not too hard I guess, just seems to be a PITA. I either dog the to-be-edged boards between a couple of 4x4s, or just tack it to the last slab. I will be trimming the ends off of a goodly portion of this load. It's only about 2,500 bd ft, but its a start. Can't haul much more than that without hiring it out.

IL Bull

Thanks Bro. Noble.  I'm getting quite a stack of wood and would like to convert some into cash.

TN_man

Bro. Noble,
When you talk about a broker, are you talking about a middle man? Like selling to a man in an office that buys our lumber and has a trucker come pick it up and sells to someone else. Or are you selling to a flooring or furniture manufactor.
I sell some to flooring companies like Armstrong but I do it direct and they will take my small loads (500 to 1000 bdft.) I talked to a "broker" on the phone once, but he wanted a semitruck load at a time. By the time I accumalated that much it would be stained if I left it dead stacked since I cut mostly ties and pallet stuff and then try to sell my side boards.
I certainly would like some direction here if I am going about this wrong.
Thanks,
Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Thank You Sponsors!