iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do if you fall in the ice...

Started by Paschale, October 31, 2005, 01:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Since winter's coming around the corner, I thought I'd post this link I found with a video about how to save yourself if you've fallen in the ice.  It's pretty fascinating and worth a look.  It takes awhile to load, even if you're on highspeed--it seems like nothing's there for awhile, but give it time.  It's definitlely educational!

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

Thanks.  I watched it and don't even have stuff like that around here.  Maybe I need it more than those of you where it's so cold.  If I fell in an ice covered pond, there is no way I would last as long as he did.  It's good to know that I would at least stand a chance.

sawguy21

That is a very good video but not something I want to try. Every year people lose lives walking on late season river ice or falling through on snowmobiles. The current pulls them under away from the hole.  Our local FD frequently pulls kids off ice floes in the river
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas Ranger

Whats "ice", surely the stuff in my scotch cannot be dangerous? ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 11, 2005, 03:15:12 PM
Whats "ice", surely the stuff in my scotch cannot be dangerous? ::)
Thats kinda what I was thinking after Tom's post. You southerners want to come up here and learn car curling? We get to do that.

Texas Ranger

Curling?  Is that Canadian hurling, to much scotch will do that to ya. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

:D :D Yeah, I know that feeling. To the uninitiated, curling is sorta like shuffleboard on ice. The player slides a fifty pound rock and the others try guiding it by sweeping with brooms in front. Up here we bring the game to the next level on icy roads when the car starts doing 360's just before a busy intersection or  downhill on a deserted highway with a sharp dropoff.  Works best after a thaw then a quick freezing before the road dries and really raises the pucker factor ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!