iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's what swingers are for (my new workbench) updated w/pictures 11-3-05

Started by Part_Timer, October 30, 2005, 11:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

My neighbor Forrest called the middle of last week and said he had a couple of logs for me. Boy I wasn't expecting this. :)  :) This was big enough that we couldn't lift it with the backhoe.  Instead we drug it to the barnyard at his house and I'll cut it there.  This is 45" across and 6' long.  I'll have a picture of the next log on the tree tomorrow. Lots of limbs on one side but the back will be good.  I hope  ::)

I wish I had pictures of us trying to move this log but an arborist delimbed it and dropped it along the road to avoid the power lines.  There was just to much traffic to keep an eye on while we shiffed it around.

I think this calls for playing hookey from work.  we'll see what the weather does.  The micro kerf should get a good work out.

A friend came down and wants some 2x6's for table legs.  I'm going to use the rest for my new workbench.  I'm going to cut part way and flip it so I can have a slab about 3" thick and 38" or so wide depending on cracks.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Sprucegum

Part_Timer

I'm fairly sure it's red oak.  Lightening srtuck it 2 years ago and no leaves or bark are left on it.  They didn't want it coming over on the power lines.  I don't think there was much chance of that.
Peterson 8" ATS.

brdmkr

That is one nice log.  You ought to be able to whittle away on that for a little while.  Should have some nice wood in it too.   8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Part_Timer

Well I left work at 1/2 day today to cut up that log.  We had to cut about 2+ inches off around it cause it was rotten but the rest was real nice.  We ended up with 492bf of a 50/50 mix of 4/4 and 8/4 boards. 
     It didn't take long we were there for a grand total of 3 hours.  1.5 hours actually sawing the rest of the time was spent wheeling and dealing for some cotton wood to make 2x6's for framing my tailmans new garage and a few good sized Osages for some flooring I want to make.  We took and flipped the log about 2/3 of the way through and ended up with a real nice slab for the bench top. 
    It started to rain so pictures will have to wait till thursday. 
Peterson 8" ATS.

Ga_Boy

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Part_Timer

Mark Pics have to wait till thursday.  We are shut down at the mill for 2 days for maint. work.  Wednesday we are replacing a lighting transformer and have to do a complete blackout to hook it up then a restart of all the systems.  A real big pain in the hind end.

I will get some pics though.  the table top is real cool and I have to stack and sticker all of it after work on thurs. so no fear there will be pics

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Part_Timer

Well here are the pictures I promissed thanks for waiting it has been a rough week.

This is the next log to cut.  The front is rough but the back half has no limbs so we'll see what is in it

This is the slab for my bench top.  The bummer is that it got dropped while trying to sticker it.  It now has a 24"crack down the center.  I figure I'll glue it back up when it dries.  I HOPE  ???

This is a picture of Taylor my woods cruser/watch over me while I drop trees/log painter/ board stacker/ and sandwitch making helper with the lumber salvaged from the log.

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.

Jeff

QuoteThe bummer is that it got dropped while trying to sticker it.  It now has a 24"crack down the center.

Nice slab! I hurt my neck looking at it though. :D

I got an idea if it cracked just because you dropped it, it was going to crack later on if you even LOOKED at it. There was certainly stress waiting for any excuse to be released.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Part_Timer

Hay jeff If you turn the computerscreen sidways your neck won't hurt so much :D :D :D
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!