iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Names for rivers, streams, pools, lakes and other water bodies

Started by SwampDonkey, October 30, 2005, 04:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Maybe folks can give a little description, translation or story for their submissions. ;)

Places to fish Atlantic Salmon
Restigouche River

Five Fingers Pool English translation for the Indian name of the river
Devil's Half Acre Pool Water color
Million Dollar Pool
The Three Sisters Stretch
The Flying Eddy

Saint John River

The Grand Pass Section of river between Sugar and Savage Islands near Fredericton, in front of Currie Mountain. This section of water does not freeze.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

old3dogg

I will get beat for this but?...............

Big Bone Lick in the fine state of Kentucky!

I have no idea why it is called this and maybe I dont want to know.

Jeff

Another definition of a Lick is "matter deposited by some natural process". Thats why you will see many towns with lick after the first part of the name, as it is describing the local somehow, either by describing the type of the deposit, or simply proclaiming there "is" a deposit.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

old3dogg

I really didnt want to know but now I do and now I have learned something.

Tom

This seems like it will be fun.  I'll play.  Florida and Georgia has a lot of wierd names, mostly derived from the Creeks.

Swimming Pen Creek.

Cattle were driven into the creek where they swam to barges (pens built on them) to be shipped down the St. Johns River to market.

We have a Turtle Creek down the road and I guess everybody has a Nine Mile or Ten Mile creek.

crtreedude

According to the locals, the best river to fish here is called Rio Muerte.

For those who don't speak Spanish, that means Dead River.  :o

So, how did I end up here anyway?

old3dogg

Paschale

I love the ever present Mud Lakes that seem to be everywhere.  And then, here in Michigan, there's a town called Lake Odessa.  The name of the lake in the center of town, you ask?  Well, of course, it's Jordan Lake.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Radar67

A creek running thru my property is called Military Branch. I haven't researched it yet, but there is nothing military even close to it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Pete J

I live between the Hockanum and Skunkamug rivers. Everyone around here knows exactly where you are refering to if you call them The "Hock" and the "Skunk". Both names are old indian names although I don't know the history.

Bro. Noble

We used to live on 'lick crick'  It was close to 'Pomme-de-terra'  lake-----which I believe means apple of the earth  which means potato :D

Nearby we have  two 'greazy creeks',  'Cowskin Creek',  and 'Stinkin Creek'

Two of the most interesting names of bodies of water I've seen are at Cuba,  or maybe it's Bourbon, Mo.  There are two identical water towers.  One is named 'Hot'  and one "Cold' ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Nepisiquit River Tributaries These names have to do with logging and fishing

Fly Tent Brook

Moody Brook

Three Corner Lake

Devil's Elbow Brook

Popple Depot

Knoll Spruce Lake

Corker's Gulch
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Quote from: old3dogg on October 30, 2005, 04:58:23 PM
I will get beat for this but?...............

Big Bone Lick in the fine state of Kentucky!

I have no idea why it is called this and maybe I dont want to know.
At the Big Bone Lick State Park in the fine state of Kentucky there are deposits of bones of prehistoric animals such as Mamoths. There were salt deposits there that attracted the animals and some of them got stuck in the mud and their bones were preserved.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

edsaws

Quote from: LogRite on October 30, 2005, 05:29:48 PM
I live between the Hockanum and Skunkamug rivers. Everyone around here knows exactly where you are refering to if you call them The "Hock" and the "Skunk"
So true Logrite I like to go tubing down Satan's Kingdom  :o

breederman

Together we got this !

DanG

Just north of Tallahassee, there is a little water bod known as "Monkey Business Pond."  The yuppies have built houses all around it, now, and assume it was a favorite spot for "parking."  Actually, it was a place where the KKK used to go to do their "monkey business!" :o :o  Just being around the place will give ya the willies!

Just up in the edge of Georgia, is a stream called "Manbone Creek."  Your imagination is as good as mine on this one.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Kazabazua,
small town north of me ... Algonguin for river that flows under ground , wich it does , there is no river for 1/2 a mile  it goes under a little hill .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

When I was a younger fellow, in the Boy Scouts, some of my cohorts and I were turned lose for a week to survive with a match, a tin can, a knife and whatever we could find in a place west of Okeechobee called "Fish Eating Creek".

DanG

We got one of those, Marcel.  Not a Kazabazua, but a river that goes underground for a ways.  The St. Marks River goes under an area known as "Natural Bridge,"  just a few miles south of Tallahassee.  There was an important battle fought there in the Civil War, that kept Florida's capitol from falling to the Union.

The St. Marks joins with the Wakulla River a little ways south of there.  "Wakulla" mean's "Mysterious Water" in the Miccosukee language.  The river originates in a huge spring, which is supposedly the world's deepest natural spring.  I can't remember just how deep the mouth of the spring is, but I'm thinkin' it is over 400'.  I'll bet a Google search on "Wakulla Springs" would get you more info than you could ever want.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Just South of Holopaw (I don't know where that came from)  is Yee Haw Junction.  That's pretty explanatory.  If your heading North on US 441, you either turn right or left. That's not too far from Deadheader. And if you're heading West you can turn right or left.    It's a cross road. :)

Just a little North West of Dang, out in the panhandld and on the Florida side just south of Dothan Ala. is a little place in the road named "Two Egg".  The town sign has been stolen so many times that the City had bolt it all the way around to make it more difficult to take.  The stories of how the town was named generally revolve around children trading eggs at the general store every day for candy and other items.  Most showed up with two eggs.

CHARLIE

In Minnesota there is the Root River, Zumbro River, Whitewater River, Rum River, Kettle River, Cannon River, Crow River, St. Louis River, Cloquet River,  Red River, Temperance River (only river without a sand bar ;D ).

Deer Creek, Bear Creek, Mill Run, Trout creek with a dam call Bucksnort dam.

In Wisconsin, Black River, Chippewa River, Eau Claire River, Flambeau River,  St. Croix River, KinnicKinnic River, Embarrass River, Peshtigo River, Wolf River, Red River, Willow River, Potato River, Brule River,

In Florida there is the Kissimmee River,  and Mosquito Creek.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paschale

Quote from: CHARLIE on October 31, 2005, 12:56:03 AM
Temperance River (only river without a sand bar ;D ).

;D

In the U.P., we have Kitch-iti-kipi Spring, which is a huge natural spring which means "Mirror of Heaven." 

"One of the Upper Peninsula's major attractions, Kitch-iti-kipi or "The Big Spring" is two hundred feet across and forty feet deep. Over 10,000 gallons a minute gush from many fissures in underlying limestone, the flow continuing throughout the year at a constant 45 degree temperature so the spring never freezes and can be enjoyed any season of the year."

There's a Bad River, a Dead River, the Paint River, the Paw Paw River, the Tobacco River, and the Tittabawassee River. 

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

We have a place here called Ojo de Agua - Eye of Water. Since it is blue, I suspect it should have been called Ojo Gringo de Agua  (Gringo Eye of Water).

crtreedude

By the way, I see I just hit 1,000 postings - do I get a prize ?

Patty

Up in Wisconsin where my Gramma & Grampa lived is the Kickapoo River, which flows through the Kickapoo Valley.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!