iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowshoeing/ Snowmobiling

Started by Deadwood, October 29, 2005, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

Just curious if anyone on here snowshoes or snowmobiles? I am a fairly new member so most people don't know that I can talk snowmobiling or snowshoeing 365 days a year. With temps down in the 20's last night and 40 inches of snow falling in the western mountains of Maine two days ago, winter is just around the corner.

I'm also picking up a new snow machine on Monday so I am really ready to get this winter season going. If you get a chance and would like to see some more pictures of last years snowmobiling adventures, feel free to check out my website, or e-mail me directly and we'll talk sledding or shoeing as I call my two most passionate sports. Here is the link for the snowmobiling side of that.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Snow_Pics.html

sprucebunny

I do alot of snowshoeing.... last winter I was thinning trees on them several days a week. This winter I will be cutting bigger trees and will probably need snowshoes.There are alot of old skid trails there and paths that go along the boundry so winter is a good time to repaint the blazes. Several areas need to be frozen to access at all :o

The land I own has a couple miles of NH Corridor 19 on it so I see lots of snowmobiles but I ride an atv w/ tracks. I prefer riding the little trails thru the woods to riding out on the numbered trails with the masses. It's one of the reasons I bought land.

What areas do you ride in ?

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Coon

I normally put on aroun 4000 miles per season but, alot of those miles are skidding saw logs and firewood.  I run a variety of sleds ranging from 1968 to 1998.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Patty

I enjoy cross country skiing. The summer bike trails work well, and the best part is no one elso is out on them.  ;) I love to ski up the river when it is frozen, the wild life is beautiful. But the past few years I have had to dodge the snowmobiles flying up the river, so I guess it is back to the bike trails, since they usually restrict motorized vehicles.  Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing the snowmobilers, they need to have fun too, just as the rest of us do. Makes me wish for snow .  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

crtreedude

I used to use snowshoes - it was a great way to enjoy the winter. Also, there was no one else out there, even though at the time I lived in NJ. You would think all those great trails were made just for me.

I gave away my snowshoes when we moved here - just didn't seem like I would need them much.  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paschale

I think I'm going to look at renting some cross country skis a few times this winter.  I'm finding that I need to have a reason to look forward to winter.  I tried x-country skiing last time for the first time in years...and it reminded me why it took me so long to try it again, cuz I'm bad!  I think snowshoeing would be more my speed, but I think it would be fun to be able to master skiing.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Patty

Dan, the reason I cc ski by myself is because I am so bad at it! I couldn't take all the ridicule.  ::)   Now I can fall down 6 times in 20 feet and no one has to wait for me. I have a pair of snow shoes, but never got the hang of wearing them. I ran across them yesterday while looking for something else, and thought I should give them another try this winter. It won't be anytime soon, though, they are predicting temps in the 70's this week.  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pappy

Travis,

Living WAAAAAAAY up in "northern" Maine sleddin' is becoming a big part of our economy up here.. As you probably know we've got some of the best riding anywhere!! We're in the process of setting up our log cabin outback to rent to sledders..  ;) check out our progress @

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7671.0
I have to update the posting as I've gotten the kitchen and shower in  ::)

I, like Joan, use my snowshoes for TSI outback and to just stump around the woodlot...  Jen and I both like to cc ski (her more than me)so we maintain about 2 1/2 miles of cross country ski trails on our and neighbors property...

So Travis what's your new ride this winter???

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Deadwood

Wow, I made this post a few days ago and kind of forgot about it. Sorry it took so long to respond.

I have to admit I do not like cross-country skiing. I fell when I was younger and broke my thumb. Kind of left a sour taste in my mouth for skying. Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against them and in fact slow way down when I approach them on the snowmobile trails. Heck a few times last year I told them where some nice flat, smooth trails were so that they could enjoy the sking even more. We all share trails, it's just too bad more sledders are not like me and my riding buddies. So don't be apologetic Patty, I know where you are coming from.

As for you Pappy, it was nice to here from a fellow Mainer. Yes you are right, the sledding up there is incredable. I rode from Thorndike last year all the way up to Millinocket and back. Did it in six hours...261 miles! Not bad. As for my new ride, in an hour I got to go pick it up at the dealer. I wanted the new Yamie Apex but settled for a Yamaha Vector. Still a nice machine with 120 hp, 3 cyclinders, but is a four stroke. In fact I got that for many of you skiers out there believe it or not. Less fumes and loud exhaust sounds makes for a lot better skier/ snowshoeer/ land-owner relations, not to mention burning less fuel and having an engine that lasts longer.

Now as far a snowshoeing goes, now that is freedom. Forget about what the Hecks Angels say about motorcycling. Snoeshoing is the real freedom. With these new modern shoes, you can go up any hill, go over any lake and the whole time you are doing it, there is nothing but the sounds of the wind blowing through the trees and animals scurrying about. To me anyway, snoeshoing is the definition of serene. Now if only winter would get going and arrive huh?

Jason_WI

My list of sleds:

69 Arctic Cat Panther P20W Wankel  -  currently being restored
77 Arctic Cat Cheetah 5000, 500CC F/C - Needs new piston, had meltdown :'(
82 Arctic Cat Panther 340 F/A - Cold weather only!!
86 Polaris Indy 400
97 Polaris Indy 500

I sold my 89 Polaris Indy 500 to my friend last year.

If I buy another sled my parents will kill me as they are all stored on their dairy farm.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

moosehunter

Travis,
Great subject!
I live for snowmobiling in the winter. Six couples from our club went to Maine in Feb. of 04 for a week of riding. We were supossed to ride out of Millinocket but the grass was showing thru the snow. We trailered on to Presque Isle and had 5 days of wonderfull riding. Watched the groomer drive out as we had breakfast every morning. One day we hit a bump in the trail, had to stop and take a picture!!!
We will return to ride Maine again soon.
As for snowshoes, we have been talking about trying it sense we bought our land. Any thoughts on a economical/entry level shoe for beginers?
mh
ps. got my username by joining the Forum after returning from the '03 Maine Moose Hunt.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Deadwood

My wifes family (on her father's side is from New York. Schenectaty, though I doubt I spelled the name right.

I'm glad you had a great time riding up in Maine last winter. I have never ridden that far north, but have ridden to Millinockette last year. I am fortunate in that I live right on an ITS trail so I have never have trailered my sleds to go riding. I just jump on them and go. Last year I rode every day there was snow. Of course that does mean I ride certain trails over and over, but since Maine has more miles of groomed snowmobile trails then it does plowed roads, there are still plenty to choose from. Heck a few years ago they did a tourism study and found out more people come to Maine to ride sleds then they dis downhill ski. They pulled the money that was going to the ski resorts and started putting them into the trails. It's only gotten better since then.

If you ever get the chance come on up to Maine and ride. I'm always looking to show someone what we have for trails up here. They might be a bit different than up north, but they still are a lot of fun, as you proably saw from my website.

As for a sled this is the list I have had/ still own:

1974 Cheetah 440cc 3000 miles (sold off)
1993 Ski Doo Grand Touring 583cc 3100 miles
1993 Ski Doo Mach One 670cc 2500 miles
1996 Ski Doo 500 Fan colled 500cc 8100 miles (sold off a week ago)
2005 Yamaha Vector 4 stroke 973cc 33 miles

jon12345

The woods are fun on showshoes in -20 at 3 in the mornin.  When I was in college I became a major insomniac, but I guess bein 150 miles from home, livin within half a mile of almost 1,000 other people after 18 yrs of living in a town that had maybe half that,and pluggin away at the keyboard all afternoon, evening and half the night, with tree data permanently imprinted inside my eyelids, a cold clear winter night and serene landscape with no one around was just what I needed to take my mind off of things for a while.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

MartyParsons

Went snowmobiling at Moose Head lake, Maine last year and Old Forge NY. I guess we rode about 900 miles in two weeks. Had a great time at the lake got to see an Car race on the lake. Could not see for the snow dust.
Marty never attempted the snow shoes. 
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pappy

Quote from: moosehunter on November 02, 2005, 07:35:35 AM
We will return to ride Maine again soon.

moosehunter,
when you do...and if you make it this far north... give me a shout and we can try to hook up... 72A crosses our property... maybe head down to the camp for a burger and beverage... :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

blueox

As much as I hate being cold...its not the same when I'm bundled up with my hand warmers on...cruisin' on my V-1000 Grand touring....OK...Ok...ok...I know what some of you guys are thinking that have the racing sleds...but this is the family Limo. With 4 kids, we needed the room. We were able to each carry 2 kids w/ us on our sleds when they were smaller. Well, now its a tight sqeeze...SSShhhh don't tell anyone, but the kids are getting a surprise from Santa...We picked up a "used" arctic cat 2-up...not sure the model. But the kids are gonnna be tickled pink on Christmas morning. Now atleast the 2 older ones can ride together and we will have more room.

We go out every weekend. We have great riding trails in Northern VT...actually it seems that we are still riding in June, our snow last forever. During the week we like to hit the trails at dark, and go to The Pub for dinner! Its a nice ride, relaxing and makes you sleep like a baby.

Patty....I hear ya, when you say you like to cc ski alone, so no body will see you fall. Heck...I can't manuever a pair of CC ski's. I used to down hill ski all the time....but I freeze!! Once my feet are cold, I'm Done! You mentioned that you found your snowshoes, and weren't sure about using them. We used to have those HUGE showshoes, when I was a kid. Now we have TUBS (or Tubbs) any ways, they are lighter, easy to handle in all terrain. I think you would love them. A lot easier than skiing!!

Laurel :)

PS...Today it was in the 60's (rough guess) a week and a half ago, we had so much snow, we lost power for two days and didn't see our lawn for 4 or 5 days, funny how the weather changes this time of year. Its too bad it melted, this weekend is Youth Hunting Weekend (my daughter is out there trying to catch the big buck. She got herself a 5 pointer last year!)

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Thank You Sponsors!