iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going Rate?

Started by dail_h, October 26, 2005, 08:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Wondering how much to add to my sawing rate for planning and t&g. Hoping that this flooring job will almost if not completely pay for shaper and knives.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ellmoe

Dail,

We charge $.35/bf for drying 4/4 and $.30 for planing (with a $50 set-up fee foe small orders.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

dail_h

Thanks Ellmoe,
   I was 'bout to think this thread had leprosey or something.Was trying to decide if I could justify buying a shaper or not.I thought I had found one,as it turns out,it's a Woodmaste with sanding head,gang saw head,and moulding headsfor $300. Won't do but 6 in t&g,but the guy that has it runs a cabinet shop,and said that I could use one of his shapers for the wider stuff.
   Btw,he also has 2 radiad saws,2 10 in table saws,a nice band saw,and a 3hp dust collector for sale too.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Dail,

I might be interested in sum of that stuff, if you ain't ;D

You mind sharing who?

Brian
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

FeltzE

Dail,

We have had some success making drying and T&G some of the oak and pine at 2.50/sq foot. Working with a Nyle kiln, and a Logosol we are able to take lower grade material and create a excellent high grade product.

We have also dryied and machined other peoples lumber trying to keep the moulding process to a 50-60 $/hr shop rate plus knives if special knives are required or we get tramp metal damage from the customers wood.

The starting price quote for running T&G is 10 cents a linear foot of lumber a little more if we need to rip the lumber to properly sized blanks, a little less if the lumber is well sorted and pre ripped and close to the finish thickness. We have to preplane if they bring 5/4 lumber expecting a 3/4 product.

We do take on smaller jobs, I've got an order in at the moment for only 100 sq ft of syp cut to match an older home. )knives required.... It makes it a 1/3 more expensive than stock knives for such a small job but if they call for more they will only pay for the lumber not another setup charge.

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!